Smart Sam Tyres

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ozboz

Smart Sam Tyres

Post by ozboz »

Hiya, when I bought my MTB it had WTB Trail Boss’s on it , which were everything I’d have expected in the mud , however, I really think , unless I go looking for it blasting through deep swampy-mud trails I do not really need them , they are are bit heavy going on the hard stuff and slow ,also I found them a bit to noisy , after reading a thread right here on BB’s I found that Px were selling tyres cheap, so I looked around a decided on these Schwalbe ones , I had my first knock about today on them , I racked up more speed on them and they hardly made a peep on the hard stuff , but...... on the muddy swampy stuff they were definitely a bit of a chore , but all in all ...and for the price ....very happy 😃, I also got my GF a set of Vittoria Randoneers 700x25 for her road bike for a very handy price and a 5x 700x25 innertubes , (you wouldn’t believe how many punctures she gets ) so happy days !
Boab

Re: Smart Sam Tyres

Post by Boab »

I asked about 700c slop tyres on STW only the other day. The Smart Sam was one of the recommendations, and given you can pick them up for less than £20 online, I'm interested. I need something that will give me some actual traction in the mud, rather than my rear wheel sitting and spinning.
ozboz wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:09 am but...... on the muddy swampy stuff they were definitely a bit of a chore
In what way? Were they just slow, or did you not have any traction?

P.S. Does anyone know of a retailer with Vitorria Terreno Wet 700c x 40mm in actual stock...?
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Thisisnotaspoon

Post by Thisisnotaspoon »

It probably depends on the tyre width, a mtb tyre will work differently to a cross one.

I did say they werent as good as the Terrano wet, but they are 1/3 of the price, which is worth a consideration if you do a lot of miles.

And the tread is arranged in a cross pattern with a center ridge on knobbles the a paddlewheel of side knobs.

My expedience with cross tyres in the mud is the driving/braking grip and cornering grip can be very different. Generally it doesnt take much tread to get a cross tyre to grip in a muddy corner because its dug in further than an mtb and pushing against a lot of mud.

Whereas up a hill you're only pushing against 33mm of mud and can be much slippier.

So in use I find the smart sam works well enough that it can be nursed up most hills. If I could fit the terrano i would though.

If you can live with an out and out cross tyre theres always the clement BOS which sounds ideal, but only available in UCI compliant widths. You'd think they would make a 40/42 given the popularity of gravel bikes now, UCI CX must be pretty niche.
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

K1100T, have you tried All Terrain Cycles ?
Boab

Post by Boab »

Fat tyre kicker wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:29 am K1100T, have you tried All Terrain Cycles ?
I visited there briefly early this morning (after changing search provider) and baulked at the price. They are currently much cheaper from Polaris, as they in the sale. Shame they are still twice the price of the Smart Sam, which is why I was interested in the chore comment. 🤷‍♂️
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

Fair enough :-bd
ozboz

Post by ozboz »

In what way? Were they just slow, or did you not have any traction?

Just like to say they are 650b 2.25 s

Yes , the traction not as good , although they are a bit nobbly, the WTB ‘s ate the mud trails , even when almost up to the axles , I think the Sams were about 24 sobs delivered for the pair ,