Down trousers?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

BreninBeener

Down trousers?

Post by BreninBeener »

Mrs B is a cold sleeper, so invariably had a down jacket and hood as well as a nice down bag. She has little down booties but the key to warm feet is warm legs...so does anyone use down trousers? Anyone used the budget ones from Aliexpress etc? Any feedback appreciated
Diolch
Ian
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Down trousers?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've got a pair of Integral Designs (years old) Primaloft trousers. I don't use them often but they do work very well when conditions call for it.

As much as I love down, I do wonder whether synthetic makes a better filing for insulated trousers? I suppose I'm thinking about the ability to wash them easily? OMM do Mountain Raid pants that weigh 275g.

No experience of Chinese trousers as I won't buy down unless the manufacturer can tell me how it was sourced.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

The Tectop trews on Ali are good, I stupidly sold mine on when a pair of Borah Gears came up for sale.

Since I’ve started bikepacking I’m preferring to carry synthetic rather than down and use a lighter bag for sleeping
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

Strange name for a dog ??
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Strange name for a dog ??
For those not sure, here's a clue.

MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

I use PHD Minimus down trousers, socks and a basic Karrimor down jacket with a bivi bag if necessary in summer. I seem to feel the cold more than others.
In winter I use a Buffalo bag instead of the bivi bag and was toasty warm through 2019 bivis.

Down trousers and socks are ace. I previously tested the concept with a very old, cheap pair of salopettes as an alternative to buying a better/smaller/warmer sleeping bag.
I only sleep in the down clothing and bring clean t-shirt/leggings/socks to keep the down clothing fresh.

I considered PHD's Primaloft trousers but after a very useful chat with PHD decided to go for greatest warmth:weight.
May you always have tail wind.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I have a pair of Montane Prism pants which are Primaloft insulated, I love 'em and use them for lounging about the house in winter as well as for outdoorsy stuff. Not as compact when packed as down kit but not bad and easily bikepackable. :-bd
Al

Post by Al »

I’ve had some haglofs synthetic ones for years that get used for non-bikpacking camping. Love them to bits - instant warmth. Really make a difference sitting round outside once the sun drops.
Tried some of the Aliexpress down ones recently - quality / pack size seemed good and cheap as you’d expect. Sizing was crazy small though so ended up selling them on.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

I have a pair of fetching ex-army insulated overtrousers. Bulky but cheap. Well worth the bulk/weight, especially if I feel I can take a lighter bag, but the main thing is I can wear them whilst sat in a tent/bothy on long winter nights. So yes to the concept, and down would have the same advantages with a smaller pack size (as long as you keep them dry of course).
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

These don't look a bad price / spec.

https://www.alpinetrek.co.uk/holden-wom ... -trousers/