Going back to 10

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Loki

Going back to 10

Post by Loki »

Hi all, a bit of a strange once, I recently picked up my new bike which has Eagle SX 12spd, while it is nice I am not really a fan, I am thinking of staying 1x, mostly because the frame does not have front mech routing and using a 10 speed set up for reliability and cost, a 28 or 30T with 11-42 cassette is enough for me on all bar the steepest trail, if I need lower it is hike a bike anyway, has anyone any thoughts or gone this way before?
Simon K
There is only one God.......GODZILLA! And he rides a fat bike.
Fat cyclist, fat bike rider, bike packer, photographer, coffee junkie. Brain tumour survivor.

https://www.instagram.com/beardythebikepacker/
https://beardythebikepacker.blogspot.com
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Going back to 10

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I haven't reverted to 10spd but haven't 'progressed' beyond it. I've just never felt the need.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ton

Post by ton »

regarding gears, I come from the proper 'old school bugger' why change it school of thought.
9 speed is perfect, love it to bits, as was 8 and 7 speed.
But my new bike came with 1 x 12 spd shimano xt. with a 51 tooth large cog on the cassette. and I have to say, it is bloody ace.
so good that I may buy a new tourer that it will go on and have a try at it for touring.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

In my experience the number of cogs on a cassette is just about the least important factor in determining serviceability and reliability of a groupset.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Loki wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:41 pm my new bike which has Eagle SX 12spd
If it's Eagle 12 speed it will have an XD driver freehub. I'm not aware of any 10 speed cassettes which will fit an XD freehub. You could go 11 speed? Or you'll need to change the freehub or the rear wheel.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

SX is OEM only and designed to deliver the 1x12 marketing message at the cheapest possible pricepoint for bike manufacturers. Make of that what you will.
sean_iow wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:53 pm
Loki wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:41 pm my new bike which has Eagle SX 12spd
If it's Eagle 12 speed it will have an XD driver freehub. I'm not aware of any 10 speed cassettes which will fit an XD freehub. You could go 11 speed? Or you'll need to change the freehub or the rear wheel.
Neither SX or NX need a XD Driver (they're 11-50, not 10-50)
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

PaulB2 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:58 pm Neither SX or NX need a XD Driver (they're 11-50, not 10-50)
Are they 10 speed? Didn't know you could get 11-50 in 10 speed?
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

sean_iow wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:00 pm
PaulB2 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:58 pm Neither SX or NX need a XD Driver (they're 11-50, not 10-50)
Are they 10 speed? Didn't know you could get 11-50 in 10 speed?
No, they're 12 speed but according to SRAM's bumpf they're usable with 10/11 speed wheels, which means he probably has 10 speed compatible wheels already.

https://www.sram.com/en/sram/models/cs-pg-1210-a1
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Ignore this one :roll:
Last edited by sean_iow on Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

PaulB2 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:07 pm
No, they're 12 speed but according to SRAM's bumpf they're usable with 10/11 speed wheels, which means he probably has 10 speed compatible wheels already.

https://www.sram.com/en/sram/models/cs-pg-1210-a1
I'd just twigged that as you were typing #-O The OP says it's SX so should be ok.
Loki

Post by Loki »

The PG1210 cassette allows eagle on a non XD driver hub so swapping back will not be a issue, for me 10 speed is super reliable, I am not a fan of huge cassettes.
Simon K
Fat cyclist, fat bike rider, bike packer, photographer, coffee junkie. Brain tumour survivor.

MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

Loki wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:41 pm... I am not really a fan...
Curious...

What, specifically, are you not a fan of?

How long until you wear it out to justify replacement?
May you always have tail wind.
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

I'm still on 9 speed, 2x9 (22/36x11-34) mtb and 1x9 (38X11-40) cx (oh and 1x2 on the road bike)

No real plans to upgrade anything unless I stop being able to get bits. I tell myself it's because 9 speed was the zenith but really I am just quite tight when it comes to paying for consumables :-bd
Loki

Post by Loki »

I am not a fan of the angles the rear mech is working through, the slightest knock and the gears go out of kilter, plus the look of the huge cassette is ugly as. My biggest concern is the rear derailleur it's self, being mostly composite I am reminded of the older X9 derailleur's I used to break for a past time. I rise a fair amount on beaches so wear becomes an issue too.
Simon K

ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

11 speed cassettes are barely wider than 10 so the mech isn't really working through a larger angle longitudinally.

Smaller cassettes are still available in 11 speed if you don't want 46T or 50T.

If you aren't going 2x and a much smaller cassette then I'm not sure what advantage going back to 10S has
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Where does one buy proper wide range 10 speed cassettes for normal shimano freehub at a reasonable price

I buy 11-36 on my commuter but want at last 40. My MTB is up to 40 using a hope t rex but unless I reuse that, which I suppose it possible, I'm wondering what I can get. I've had the same cassette on it since I bought it new at the end of 2014!
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

benp1 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:43 pm Where does one buy proper wide range 10 speed cassettes for normal shimano freehub at a reasonable price

I buy 11-36 on my commuter but want at last 40. My MTB is up to 40 using a hope t rex but unless I reuse that, which I suppose it possible, I'm wondering what I can get. I've had the same cassette on it since I bought it new at the end of 2014!
Sunrace?
They have a slightly smoothed step between gears as you get towards the big one.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Aye, as Michael says, Sunrace Ben. I've never had a problem with them.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I think I'd just ride the 12 speed stuff until it breaks or wears out. I have nine, ten, eleven and twelve speed on the four bikes that I ride and they all do the job fine, I can't say I hate or love any of them much more than the others tbh.
Alec

Post by Alec »

Shimano deore for 10s 11-42 was £30ish from merlin the other week, the nearest sunrace were more expensive.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Dont think i would swap out if a bike came with it but i dont think i would try and do it on any of my bkes either
This sums up my opinion of 1 x 11 as the two easiest gears always sound noisy -notterrible just sub optimal.
I am not a fan of the angles the rear mech is working through, the slightest knock and the gears go out of kilter, plus the look of the huge cassette is ugly as.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

MuddyPete wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:17 pm
Loki wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:41 pm... I am not really a fan...
Curious...

What, specifically, are you not a fan of?

How long until you wear it out to justify replacement?
The last question obviously wasn't for me, but I may have a little story to answer it:

In summer '17 I built a bike with Eagle; 32 t ring, 10-50 X01 cassette and chain mixed with GX derailleur and shifter.
I irregularly measured chain wear and found no wear after about 2000 km. After a few hundred more still nothing. Then I neglected measuring wear and quite suddenly the chain would start to jump under bigger loads on one particular cog (3 smallest, one I often ride in).
This set now has about 4000 km and will be replaced with a new cassette, chain and chainring as I waited too long and have worn the whole system (except for the derailleur/shifter). 4000 km...

Before Eagle, not changing the chain after about 1500 km would mean, that the whole drivetrain was worn out in my cases.

It was a bit of a test. With the other Eagle specced bikes I change the chain after 1000 - 1500 km and all is still like new.

Regarding not being a fan;
Jumps in smaller gear to big?
That's at least how I felt initially. I imagine this to be a real issue for those coming from road cycling.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Loki wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:53 pm I am not a fan of the angles the rear mech is working through, the slightest knock and the gears go out of kilter, plus the look of the huge cassette is ugly as. My biggest concern is the rear derailleur it's self, being mostly composite I am reminded of the older X9 derailleur's I used to break for a past time. I rise a fair amount on beaches so wear becomes an issue too.
I've a long travel trail bike with a full XX1 Eagle and smack it about as much as I can.
More than a year ago
It has received many more smacks since and has never needed adjusting. Likely the most funcional and reliable drivetrain I ever used.
Dropping a chain with Eagle requires some really, really wild riding. Basically crashes or near crashes. Before Eagle it was a regular thing to drop a chain. Narrow/wide chain rings brought improvement but riding without a chain guide was rubbish. Now I don't need one anymore.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Thanks guys. I’ve bought a Shimano 11 42 cassette on eBay, managed to grab a cheap one! :-bd