Alpkit Kloke bivvy bag

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

composite

Alpkit Kloke bivvy bag

Post by composite »

https://www.alpkit.com/products/kloke?u ... ct-reviews

So I'm semi-interested in this bag as it's half the weight of my hunka, and no doubt packs down smaller. Let's say I'm looking for a "racing" setup, light as possible and OK to rough it even more than normal.

Any thoughts on it or any other similar alternatives?
ScotRoutes

Re: Alpkit Kloke bivvy bag

Post by ScotRoutes »

SOL Escape might be an alternative for that scenario.

Similar weight, potentially warmer.
Last edited by ScotRoutes on Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I'm awaiting delivery of one of these:

https://bearbonesbikepacking.blogspot.c ... g.html?m=1
composite

Post by composite »

ScotRoutes wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:02 am SOL Escape might be an alternative for that scenario.

Similar weight, potentially warmer.
Also half the price, thanks that looks like a good shout.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Good grief, as a bivvy bag agnostic some of these options are giving even me food for thought. Still not eating that food yet but...hmm... 213g... heellllppp, Crowley is tempting and taunting me....
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Just remember that the Kloke has taped seams, the Tyvek bags do not. One is waterproof, the other is nearly waterproof.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Moff

Post by Moff »

I got bored with waiting for the Kloke to come into stock, so ended up getting a Borah Gear one.
It a touch lighter, was roughly the same price even after paying the import duty.
It's only water resistant, but I'll mostly be using it with a tarp and it did a good job during a wet night on Dartmoor where the tarp protection got a bit limited.
faustus

Post by faustus »

I'm sure i read a few years ago that Lael Wilcox used one of these for a race or two. Very much slumming it in certain conditions, but alright for the price i guess and supposed to be waterproof and windproof....

https://www.blizzardsurvival.com/shop/b ... vival-bag/
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm sure i read a few years ago that Lael Wilcox used one of these for a race or two. Very much slumming it in certain conditions, but alright for the price i guess and supposed to be waterproof and windproof....
I really wouldn't fancy a night in one unless it was a true emergency. Certainly windproof / waterproof but with the breathability of clingfilm. :wink:
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:58 pm
I really wouldn't fancy a night in one unless it was a true emergency. Certainly windproof / waterproof but with the breathability of clingfilm. :wink:
I used one on the TD for when/if my tarptent wasn't suitable. It was ghastly. The weight/saving over a proper bivy wasn't worth it. The tyvek option looks a better idea. Wet from not being fully sealed Vs being wet because you are fully sealed.... :lol:
Chicken Legs

Post by Chicken Legs »

Sol Escape do three versions the cheapest one is not breathable, I use the middle version of the three, which if my memory
serves me correct is approx £40.
Also excellent for uprating your sleeping bag for winter use.
"What is man but the sum of his memories"
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I used a SOL Escape during my CL300 in September. It was only for a couple if hours and I didn't even bother unpacking my quilt, just inflated the mat, laid out the SOL and crawled in fully clothed. Air temp was around 4C but I slept really well until the moon broke through the tree cover and woke me up. I've a couple of other trips in mind where I'll be taking it as a JIC option or for when I just want a trail side nap.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

I used a Blizzard on purpose for a Polaris event many moons ago.
I can confirm that they are pretty warm - sleeping bag rather than bivi bag - wind and water proof and absolutely none-breathable.
It’s a bit of a boil in the bag experience.
They are also vacuum packed, they spring out to maybe 4 or 5 times there volume after you’ve used it.
They are brilliant emergency kit. We used Blizzard blankets for casualties on the MERT in Afghan. I carry one for emergency use when not carrying proper sleep gear. You could survive a long time in cold with one but I won’t be sleeping in one for fun again.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
composite

Post by composite »

ScotRoutes wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:42 pm I used a SOL Escape during my CL300 in September. It was only for a couple if hours and I didn't even bother unpacking my quilt, just inflated the mat, laid out the SOL and crawled in fully clothed. Air temp was around 4C but I slept really well until the moon broke through the tree cover and woke me up. I've a couple of other trips in mind where I'll be taking it as a JIC option or for when I just want a trail side nap.
A few hours nap on an Audax is what I'm mostly looking for with this. I think I might give one a go. Slightly concerned about durability though.
Mart

Post by Mart »

I used my Tyvek bag under my tarp and it was ideal on the Dam Busters
Absolutely no condensation and non slippy

and at a little over £20 must be my bargain of the year. I loves mine :-bd
2924 miles per Gallon
AlexGold

Post by AlexGold »

composite wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:04 pm
A few hours nap on an Audax is what I'm mostly looking for with this. I think I might give one a go. Slightly concerned about durability though.
You might be as well off with something like this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Emergency-Su ... 3779411441

It'll be durable enough for a couple of nights, but at that price/weight/size you could always carry two!

I'm thinking one of those paired with a mat (and wearing everything I have) will do for summer audaxes this year.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

You might be as well off with something like this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Emergency-Su ... 3779411441
You're going to wake up p1ss wet through. Might as well not bother with a bag at all.
AlexGold

Post by AlexGold »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:00 pm
You're going to wake up p1ss wet through. Might as well not bother with a bag at all.
It's England, I'll likely be wet regardless :grin:

It's probably 10 degrees warmer than no bag at all though, which is a bonus.

I'm actually in 2 minds myself, used the Hunka XL last year but it felt like overkill. I also am thinking if I'm carrying that weight anyway, there are hooped bivis with bug nets that look appealing...
composite

Post by composite »

AlexGold wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:03 pm
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:00 pm
It's England, I'll likely be wet regardless :grin:

It's probably 10 degrees warmer than no bag at all though, which is a bonus.

I'm actually in 2 minds myself, used the Hunka XL last year but it felt like overkill. I also am thinking if I'm carrying that weight anyway, there are hooped bivis with bug nets that look appealing...
I feel like the hunkaXL that I would normally use it too much for this.

The orange bin bag can get in the sea though. :-P
AlexGold

Post by AlexGold »

composite wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:40 pm I feel like the hunkaXL that I would normally use it too much for this.

The orange bin bag can get in the sea though. :-P
Similar thoughts to me then, although I did get a great night in a field near the Severn bridge last year in it!

Also it's worth thinking that if there are sleep stops on a ride what you're carrying is/should only be an emergency option....that's what I mostly carry the bin bag for :lol: - although some/many were just using that or a survival blanket on PBP, making my Hunka XL/Nemo combo look luxurious! The issue is the relative time taken to get it out and get resting though.
jameso

Post by jameso »

A few hours nap on an Audax is what I'm mostly looking for with this
Kolke looks good for the £. I'd be tempted to use just a down/primaloft jacket and something for my legs, a half-bag cover or similar.
I have a Terra Nova Moonlight 180g bivi bag, can be had for similar money but more of a water-resistant bag cover than a true bivi bag. It works well within limits, if it looks like a chance of rain I'll be kipping under some sort of found shelter and this does lead to some novel or interesting spots on tours.. aka audax hotels - keeps the interest levels up anyway.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Mountain Equipment Ion is worth a look at if you want a fully waterproof bivvy for little weight / small packsize and reasonable money.
composite

Post by composite »

I haven't really stated what I'm after.

Something lightweight... I think it needs to be at least half the weight of the HunkaXL to make it worth it so around the 250g mark.

Waterproof - I don't want to be worried about settling down for a few hours on wet ground or be too concerned about showers. Proper rain and I will just have to find somewhere sensible to crash for those conditions.

Obviously breathable. No point keeping the rain out if I'm just going to sweat my box off.

Have a big enough hood to pull over my head if showers are on the cards.

Likely to be used with a venom300 and/or light down jacket and/or possibly an Exped synmat, depending on time of year, conditions etc. etc.
composite

Post by composite »

By the way I feel like the SOL Escape is the best bet so far. Ticks the boxes plus cheap. :-bd
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

I got a Kloke this time last month but not had the chance to use it.
Of course I've tried it in the garage (as we all do with new toys)
My findings
Light, small pack size (half that of the Hunka XL)
But (also like the larger volume Hunka XL) you can't fit an air mattress in it as well as your sleeping bag without it crushing the down your sleeping bag to a very thin sheet of unusable insulation.
But with the airbed underneath you and the Kloke it really feels like it's up to the job.
I've made a sheet cover for the airbed to protect it and keep it clean when it's on the ground.
EscapeGoat will be along soon I'm sure to let you know what it's like in the really world as he's used his, and I'm looking forward to using it in the near future
9/10 from me
10/10 if the airbed went inside too
Last edited by JohnClimber on Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.