Genesis Vagabond - any good?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Max Effort

Genesis Vagabond - any good?

Post by Max Effort »

Thinking of getting a Genesis Vagabond.
Seems like a good design from a reputable brand.
Lots if good reviews.
Does anyone have any experience of them?
Thanks for the help 🙂👍
NorwayCalling

Re: Genesis Vagabond - any good?

Post by NorwayCalling »

is it any good
- yes and rides nicely - however its not in anyway "light" or "responsive". Load it up with bikepacking kit and this becomes a moot point anyway. Also frame size is a bit non-standard, you do need to get a leg over one before committing.

I liked my time with this bike
Thisisnotaspoon

Post by Thisisnotaspoon »

I agree with the NorwayCalling about it not being light or responsive. Although I didn't get on with it. Always felt like Id pedal as hard as I could and it just went "and what do you want me to do about it".

Conversely my CAADX is an over excited spanniel yelping "again, again, come on, lets GO, is that all we've got, come on!"

I kept the CAADX (and a conventional steel 29er hardtail) and sold the Vagabond.
Max Effort

Post by Max Effort »

NorwayCalling wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:53 pm
is it any good
- yes and rides nicely - however its not in anyway "light" or "responsive". Load it up with bikepacking kit and this becomes a moot point anyway. Also frame size is a bit non-standard, you do need to get a leg over one before committing.

I liked my time with this bike
Thanks for the advice.
I wasn’t really after anything lightweight. More like a good, reliable all rounder.
You’re right about the sizing. I’d have to get a large instead of my usual medium sized frame.
Thanks again 🙂👍
Max Effort

Post by Max Effort »

Thisisnotaspoon wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:17 pm I agree with the NorwayCalling about it not being light or responsive. Although I didn't get on with it. Always felt like Id pedal as hard as I could and it just went "and what do you want me to do about it".

Conversely my CAADX is an over excited spanniel yelping "again, again, come on, lets GO, is that all we've got, come on!"

I kept the CAADX (and a conventional steel 29er hardtail) and sold the Vagabond.
Very interesting.
I already have a hard tail/rigid (depending on which forks I fit), On-One Inbred 29er. If this isn’t even as good as that, would there be much point in getting one?
NorwayCalling

Post by NorwayCalling »

Max Effort wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:25 pm
I already have a hard tail/rigid (depending on which forks I fit), On-One Inbred 29er. If this isn’t even as good as that, would there be much point in getting one?
You would not notice any significant improvement over the ridged Inbred - both would be about the same weight and TBH ride characteristics would not be poles apart. Its all depends on if you are desperate for the drop bar look and feel.
Max Effort

Post by Max Effort »

NorwayCalling wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:59 pm
Max Effort wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:25 pm
You would not notice any significant improvement over the ridged Inbred - both would be about the same weight and TBH ride characteristics would not be poles apart. Its all depends on if you are desperate for the drop bar look and feel.
I’m beginning to think that too.
jaminb

Post by jaminb »

Love mine

restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

"however its not in anyway "light" or "responsive".

hmm, I've been casually eyeing one as a bikepacking iron horse but this kind of puts me off. I thought my CDF was a tank and sold it on :???:
Max Effort

Post by Max Effort »

jaminb wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:48 pm Love mine

That is identical to the one I’m interested in.
Can I ask what you like and dislike about it?
Thanks for the help 🙂👍
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

I had one, lovely bike and well made but I have to agree with
' not light or responsive', I did a 20 mile towpath/semi rough stuff
Ride on it and it felt like 50, that was with a thudbuster on it too !!
Loki

Post by Loki »

I have two over the last few years, a really nice bike to ride, handles well, the only real downside, the reach was not really long enough for me, I wish it shared the geometry of the Genesis Croix de Fer, plus anything cage mounts on the fork, it really could use them.
Simon K
There is only one God.......GODZILLA! And he rides a fat bike.
Fat cyclist, fat bike rider, bike packer, photographer, coffee junkie. Brain tumour survivor.

https://www.instagram.com/beardythebikepacker/
https://beardythebikepacker.blogspot.com
jaminb

Post by jaminb »

Max Effort

My Vagabond suits my local riding conditions and my style of riding. I live a 15 mile ride of tame trails and minor roads to the Surrey Hills. My Arkrose is too uncomfortable, when loaded, to tackle the off road sections, my Longitude too slow and boring getting there. I have done several off road tours in Brittany and Belgium. Brittany was 120 mile round trip for a working holiday carrying 45kg of gear.

The Vagabond is heavy but in my mind this is offset by the level of comfort it provides. I think the steel frame and forks and high bar position all contribute to this. Once up to speed it just bowls along not. I often commute 20 miles each way on mixed surfaces into London or Beconsfield and I reckon it is about 5 mins slower over an 1 hour 40 than the Arkose but a more enjoyable ride.

Spec wise mine is still standard off the peg. Spyre brakes are adequate, the bottom bracket was replaced after 6 months, bar end shifters just work and I have just replaced the tyres with 2.1 ThunderBurts but I am not sure these are an improvement. The originals and new went tubeless fine. Some cheap plastic SKS mudgaurds fitted easily (with a bit of adaption), as did a Spesh Pizza rack.

I am 5'10" and went medium. I do occasionally catch my toe on the front wheel/mudgaurd

Anything else let me know

Ben
jaminb

Post by jaminb »

The 45kg payload
Max Effort

Post by Max Effort »

jaminb wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:48 pm Max Effort

My Vagabond suits my local riding conditions and my style of riding. I live a 15 mile ride of tame trails and minor roads to the Surrey Hills. My Arkrose is too uncomfortable, when loaded, to tackle the off road sections, my Longitude too slow and boring getting there. I have done several off road tours in Brittany and Belgium. Brittany was 120 mile round trip for a working holiday carrying 45kg of gear.

The Vagabond is heavy but in my mind this is offset by the level of comfort it provides. I think the steel frame and forks and high bar position all contribute to this. Once up to speed it just bowls along not. I often commute 20 miles each way on mixed surfaces into London or Beconsfield and I reckon it is about 5 mins slower over an 1 hour 40 than the Arkose but a more enjoyable ride.

Spec wise mine is still standard off the peg. Spyre brakes are adequate, the bottom bracket was replaced after 6 months, bar end shifters just work and I have just replaced the tyres with 2.1 ThunderBurts but I am not sure these are an improvement. The originals and new went tubeless fine. Some cheap plastic SKS mudgaurds fitted easily (with a bit of adaption), as did a Spesh Pizza rack.

I am 5'10" and went medium. I do occasionally catch my toe on the front wheel/mudgaurd

Anything else let me know

Ben
Thanks for the detailed reply.
That sounds pretty good.
The one I’m after is a large & should fit fine (I’m 5’10”).
It’s had very little use and has been well looked after.
The current owner wants £500 for it, which includes a Topeak ST rear rack, a Specialized front Pizza rack and a Topeak expanding rack pack.
I think it may be worth a punt?
jaminb

Post by jaminb »

Sounds like a good price - Genesis bikes do seam to depreciate quickly. I would try if for size, I tried the large and it was too big so went for a medium despite my Longitude being a large.
NorwayCalling

Post by NorwayCalling »

Thanks for the detailed reply.
That sounds pretty good.
The one I’m after is a large & should fit fine (I’m 5’10”).
It’s had very little use and has been well looked after.
The current owner wants £500 for it, which includes a Topeak ST rear rack, a Specialized front Pizza rack and a Topeak expanding rack pack.
I think it may be worth a punt?
£500 ... yes. If it fits... at 5:10 you are on the cusp of "small for a large" and "big for a medium" but that's all to do with leg and arm length. As I said, odd size so you will need to get a leg over one first.

£1300 for a new one... no.
Thisisnotaspoon

Post by Thisisnotaspoon »

Mine was a large and im 6ft, actually felt much bigger than most drop bar' d bikes, which might have contributed to it feeling slow. Did have a 110mm stem on it though whereas I think most have 90/100?

Unless you disslike the low flat bar position on the inbred i think it will end up quite similar. I thought it would replace my steel ht and cross bikes but in reality it was the worst of both and didn't really excel anywhere.

Im sure there's a niche of people for whom its vaguely exciting. But Id suggest that your inbred may well be just as good, and an aluminium cross bike certainly covers the miles easier.

I quite fancy the on one free ranger to see if lighter a more comfortable frame makes a difference for a similar intended use.
Gummikuh

Post by Gummikuh »

I have one, in fact rode to work on it this morning.

I built mine from a frameset though. I think it is pretty ace, it seems a little heavy, but rolls along quite nicely.
I struggled to get stem height right to begin with and I was up and down all over the place.
I think not having eyelets on the forks is a mistake, but not the end of the world.

It looks better with bags on!