Dual bottle cage mounts

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Boab

Dual bottle cage mounts

Post by Boab »

With my Restrap half frame bag, I can only carry one large water bottle on my frame. While I can squeeze a small one under the bag, but as I found out on Friday evening, it's a bit of a fight to get it in when the frame bag is full. I'm doing a couple of events this year that stipulate the ability to carry 1.5 litres of water, so need some way to carry two large bottles, or three small ones. I was wondering if anyone has used a dual cage adapters?

They seem to range from expensive Wolf Tooth ones, to el cheapo off Amazon ones. I'm open to other suggestions though, like using stem bags etc, I'd rather not carry a back pack bladder if I can help it.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
shutupthepunx

Re: Dual bottle cage mounts

Post by shutupthepunx »

maybe a side entry bottle cage could help. there are also some bottles which get much wider at the top holding more liquid but still fit in a standard cage, dont know what size they are or who makes them though
Mart

Post by Mart »

i tried them for a while - they were OK i suppose but I didn’t love them

Occasionally my calf would brush against it slightly and there was the doubling of weight on the bolts that hold it to the frame

I used these M wave ones, other designs may prove to be better, but the extra weight is still attached by two little bolts

you can get 1L bottles by SIS and zefal

https://www.parkersofbolton.co.uk/produ ... ge-adaptor
2924 miles per Gallon
NorwayCalling

Post by NorwayCalling »

I too have used this system without issue (on a fat bike) as the 100mm BB kept my legs away from the bottles. Only became an issue on climbs when out of the saddle and my calf would catch. I used side entry cages and it all worked very well.

I had a go on my 29er and it did catch more when out of the saddle so did not adopt it for 29er use.

I was not bothered by the two bolt issue as I use steel (Reynolds 725) frames and never felt it was an issue.
Boab

Post by Boab »

It's not much of an issue for one of the events, as I can put all my tools, and what not, in a saddle bag; so the main triangle will be free for bigger bottles. The other event I'll have a full bikepacking setup, so I'll need something to help me carry more liquid regardless. I might buy one of the cheaper ones and see how I get on. I'm pretty sure we have a spare side loading cage kicking around as well, as I put one each on the kids old Islabikes.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Out of curiosity - what event mandates 1.5L of water?
Boab

Post by Boab »

ScotRoutes wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:00 am Out of curiosity - what event mandates 1.5L of water?
The Dirty Reiver 200 and the Frontier 300.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Do these events state that you must CARRY 1.5l of water or that you must have the CAPABILITY to carry 1.5l of water?

If it's the latter, simply take one bottle and a roll up bladder (empty) in your bag.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

:grin:

The very same thought went through my mind!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've taken a look on the Reiver site and I quote
Ability to carry at least 1.5 litres of water
You don't need two bottles :-bd
Boab

Post by Boab »

Hadn't thought about carrying an empty bladder. 🤦‍♂️
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I usually carry a 2l soft bottle / pouch for filling prior to stopping for the night. They don't weigh much and roll up to nothing. I've got Platypus and Evernew, both have seen a lot of use and never leaked or let me down. Plenty to go at: https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... s-bags-c35
trob6

Post by trob6 »

I had one of the wolf tooth ones when I did the Dale's divide last year as it was a scorcher of a weekend but unfortunately as you drink one bottle the other then puts a load of force on the bolts in not a good way so over the weekend it ripped the mounts out of my steel frame , the inserts where braised in as well ,so personally I wouldn't use them again.
What's the worst than can happen?
british jasper

Post by british jasper »

Try the Double Cage Adapter from cyclewerks.co.nz
Bryce there very helpful on email. Shipping from NZ was $18NZ and came in a few days. Not the cheapest but looks like a good piece of kit. Note it’s available with the bottle mounts at different angles.
But only in bare metal - I painted mine black... which was a bit Unnecessary...
FLV

Post by FLV »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:31 am I usually carry a 2l soft bottle / pouch for filling prior to stopping for the night. They don't weigh much and roll up to nothing. I've got Platypus and Evernew, both have seen a lot of use and never leaked or let me down. Plenty to go at: https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... s-bags-c35
I've just been looking at those. I'd been wondering how people carry water inside frame bags and I guess those would do the trick. Only bind I guess is having to stop to decant into the drinking bottle if you're using it up before refilling (I know thats not what you're doing with them stu)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Once full, I just tend to shove mine in my jersey pocket or under the bungees on my saddle pack Dave.
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:31 am I usually carry a 2l soft bottle / pouch for filling prior to stopping for the night. They don't weigh much and roll up to nothing. I've got Platypus and Evernew, both have seen a lot of use and never leaked or let me down. Plenty to go at: https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... s-bags-c35
Sam W has a Platypus and Sawyer, and so do I. His Sawyer mini screws straight on. Mine doesn't quite and now . Have Platypus made their own filter now due to people using their bags with Sawyer filters?
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

[
Sam W has a Platypus and Sawyer, and so do I. His Sawyer mini screws straight on. Mine doesn't quite and leaks. Have Platypus made their own filter now due to people using their bags with Sawyer filters?