Wrapping bars

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ootini

Wrapping bars

Post by ootini »

I'm thinking about wrapping the OnOne Ogs plus in board bar ends on my MTB, inside the grips and controls, to make the dlternative hand poditions a bit comfier.
When wrapping my drops I used the plentiful YouTube videos as a guide, but it seems wrapping the internal areas of alt bars isn't that common.
Does anyone have any useful guides,or even just photos of similar setups I could take a look at please?
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Wrapping bars

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

IMHO the most important thing to think about is how you will be grasping the bars and what pressure you will be putting on the tape. For instance, on the forward loop of a "Jones" bar, I expect most of the pressure will be pulling back on the top of the tape, so I'd make sure it was wrapped to "tighten up" under grip. The right hand tape would therefore be wrapped counter-clockwise, assuming starting at the join.
ootini

Post by ootini »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:20 pm Image

How many layers of tape is that Stu? Did you wrap out - in, or vice versa? Or is this just a picture you found? Ta
ootini

Post by ootini »

ScotRoutes wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:20 pm IMHO the most important thing to think about is how you will be grasping the bars and what pressure you will be putting on the tape. For instance, on the forward loop of a "Jones" bar, I expect most of the pressure will be pulling back on the top of the tape, so I'd make sure it was wrapped to "tighten up" under grip. The right hand tape would therefore be wrapped counter-clockwise, assuming starting at the join.
Hadn't thought about that. Cheers.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

How many layers of tape is that Stu? Did you wrap out - in, or vice versa? Or is this just a picture you found? Ta
That's just one layer of decent thick tape. Can't quite recall but looking at the picture, I'd say I started from the outside of the bars and worked in. There's likely a 'patch' of tape applied beneath the tape on the inside corners where the extensions are fastened on. I find it prevents you from having to try and fight the tape right into the tight corner and makes the job look neater.
May the bridges you burn light your way
jameso

Post by jameso »

techno

Post by techno »

The Jones blog post is where I started doing exactly what you're describing:
IMG_27012020_173159_(1000_x_417_pixel).jpg
(64.89 KiB) Downloaded 626 times

My 2 Penneth:

I would practice using tape that doesn't have adhesive along the length as this makes it much easier to reposition if you're unhappy with the results.

Also try to avoid putting too much tape around the barend clamp or you end up with an uncomfortable bulge (fnar fnar!).

Start with taping in the bit of handlebar next to the brake lever then then go around the bar end starting at the back. Go back down the bar end then in towards the stem. (Hope that makes sense?)

Repeat if building up the diameter, this time wrapping the front of the barend clamp to remove the cold spot.
ootini

Post by ootini »

techno mail wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:36 pm The Jones blog post is where I started doing exactly what you're describing:

IMG_27012020_173159_(1000_x_417_pixel).jpg

My 2 Penneth:

I would practice using tape that doesn't have adhesive along the length as this makes it much easier to reposition if you're unhappy with the results.

Also try to avoid putting too much tape around the barend clamp or you end up with an uncomfortable bulge (fnar fnar!).

Start with taping in the bit of handlebar next to the brake lever then then go around the bar end starting at the back. Go back down the bar end then in towards the stem. (Hope that makes sense?)

Repeat if building up the diameter, this time wrapping the front of the barend clamp to remove the cold spot.
Brill. Thank you all