Another SPOT alternative

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

99percentchimp

Another SPOT alternative

Post by 99percentchimp »

With a flexible low cost monthly plan... still a cost for a new piece of kit.... Bivystick
https://www.bivystick.com/
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
ScotRoutes

Re: Another SPOT alternative

Post by ScotRoutes »

Cool. I'll need to sit down and work out coats but it looks like the basic monthly plan would give one Location Share and nine hours of Tracking and then additional cost for longer trips That would soon get spendy for the months it was being used. Would still work fine as an SOS device though.

I am coming to the conclusion that the cost is the cost and that SPOTs costs aren't out of line with the alternatives.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

I've only used a satellite tracker once, on the CAT700, I was given it, told not to lose it and gave it back at the finish. It seems to me that that it's a similar business model to mobile phones, if you want the hardware at a low cost, you pay more for the use and much more if you go over your data allowance (Spot)if you want low monthly/usage costs, the initial outlay is higher but you pay as you go (Garmin and Bivy) Either way it seems that Spot's monopoly on the market is eroding and I get the feeling that their increasing flexibility on renewal costs is symptomatic of their feeling that they need to keep market share. Another factor is the increasing coverage of high quality phone signal and unless you're proposing really going off the beaten track, a phone will soon be sufficient for complete peace of mind.
Sorry if this is stating the bleeding obvious and feel free to correct anything I've got wrong.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I wouldn't be so sure about that mobile phone signal thing. I've ridden quite a lot of "on the beaten track" in Wales and Scotland and had zero signal for hours at a time.

On the product itself... being able to use it as a battery is a cute idea, but I hope it stops you using all of it by accident!

Not impressed by the pricing though. I guess being able to send messages makes these things pricier than the Spot by default.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Richard G wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:32 pm I wouldn't be so sure about that mobile phone signal thing. I've ridden quite a lot of "on the beaten track" in Wales and Scotland and had zero signal for hours at a time.
Absolutely, but it's leagues better than it used to be.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Sure, but I wouldn't rely on it in an emergency.

Tried Strava's tracking system on the phone a couple of times over Christmas. Absolutely useless.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

looks interesting
uses the iridium network (same as inReach)
pricing structure is a little odd, but appears to be cheaper than inReach (not too difficult)
not sure about the lack of screen; yes, typing a message on an inReach (mini or Explorer+) is a pain, but, neither are reliant on a working phone. [maybe a future touchscreen GPS will include inReach. :shock: :ugeek: ]
yes, more options are good, may reduce the monthy subscription of the others.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Richard G wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:43 pm Sure, but I wouldn't rely on it in an emergency.

Tried Strava's tracking system on the phone a couple of times over Christmas. Absolutely useless.
To be fair to mobile phones Strava has a big list as long as your arm that they are sticking their fingers in their ears about and singing "la la la".

Google's "share your location" is pretty good and if the object of the game is to locate your injured self it'll significantly narrow the search area from "Mid-Wales" to "headed off down that track" and if you have a phone then you've got it working without thinking about it. The cost and power consumption is minimal.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Asposium wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:24 pm looks interesting
uses the iridium network (same as inReach)
pricing structure is a little odd, but appears to be cheaper than inReach (not too difficult)
not sure about the lack of screen; yes, typing a message on an inReach (mini or Explorer+) is a pain, but, neither are reliant on a working phone. [maybe a future touchscreen GPS will include inReach. :shock: :ugeek: ]
yes, more options are good, may reduce the monthy subscription of the others.
Doesn't seem cheaper to me than SPOT or InReach.
1 credit = 6 tracking points. So in most cases 1 credit = 1 h of tracking.
After that 1 h tracking costs 0.5 $, they say getting credits are cheaper if purchased before the trip, but I couldn't find how much.

With InReach and a Protegear Dataplan you can - as most on here likely would need - get a weekly data plan for 15 EUR with unlimited tracking and unlimited preset messages. Perfect for many bikepacking Events/routes and the likes.
https://www.protegear.de/produkte-tarif ... /#Flatrate
I don't think it gets any cheaper than this.

Also the biggest downsides in my point of view: having to use the mobile. What if it doesn't connect? What if you smash the mobile in a crash? What if you drop it in a crevasse when making selfies? :wink:
A very serious one - what if, you're mobile's battery runs flat in the cold - severe cold and you'd like to charge it, but it will only advice you to stop charging as it's too cold. Then you take it inside your clothes and there it's warm but too damp and again advices against charging. I always was able to let the charging be and rarely get into above mentioned situations, but they occured 2 x last year. I don't know if the phone actually still gets charged, as I don't want to risk damaging it (metallic lithium can plate on the anode - deposition, damaging the battery).
Whilst my mobile is about 3 years old and has never let me down, it's not convincing to make it such an important tool.

This would be different, it the stick at least had a SOS button.
Like the former SPOT Connect.
The SPOT Tracer is made for tracking too, similar to the stick - but then again, it has no SOS button...

The I think it's really expensive for what it can do.
It's 10 - 15 % more expensive than the InReach Mini, which can communicate 2 ways with or without a mobile (also weather forecasts). It can act as a backup GPS and a clock.
Richard G wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:43 pm Tried Strava's tracking system on the phone a couple of times over Christmas. Absolutely useless.
My girlfriend uses it and it fails fantastically, but it's (in our case) not got anything to do with the signal.

Everytime something new appears, I only find that for what I use any kind of sat comm, the InReach Mini wins. Whilst many have different needs, it does cover a very large range.
Add a near tailor fit data plan from Protegear and it's likely the cheapest option too.
larsmars

Post by larsmars »

https://www.bivystick.com/get-fired-up-unisex-t-shirt/

Don't tell Stu about their T-shirt designs...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

They also have a T shirt with a bear on. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

May the bridges you burn light your way