Decent R value sleeping mat?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Teetosugars

Decent R value sleeping mat?

Post by Teetosugars »

Any personal favourites?
Heading back to Iceland to trek, but as my wife’s a cold sleeper, I’ll need to get her a decent mat..
Any pointers?
Cheers..
Shewie

Re: Decent R value sleeping mat?

Post by Shewie »

Thermarest XTherm are warm, a bit narrow for some though

Exped Synmats are worth a look too, I can never remember the model of mine, I think it’s a HL MW
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Synmat 7 HL is what I'm using. Don't know if it's quite up to Iceland standards but it works for me up to -10c or so. Beyond that I really think you need to be looking at sleep clothing. I've just bought a pair of Exped down slippers and having toasty toes makes a big difference.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Exped synmat of one type or another for me. I also have an Exped downmat but that's 5cm rather than 7cm of the Synmats, so doesn't 'feel' any warmer.

Is packsize / weight an issue? If not then a think self inflating mat might prove the warmest option. Alpkit Dozer?
May the bridges you burn light your way
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

sea to summit confort light - though 700 g might not be what you call light !
I think for iceland i would be taking a foam mat as well as whilst bulky they are not heavy
YMMV

eg
https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... g-mat-p209

tolerable enough to sleep on comfort wise so it gives insurance against a bed punture which ,in those temps, I assume would be incredibly undesirable
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Cath's used an Exped Hyperlite in Finland in -15C or so with no ill effects. Get a wider mat if you can, less chance of arms flopping onto floor and getting cold. Use a CCF mat underneath if you want puncture protection and a bit more insulation.

As ever, it's a system so you need to look at things as a whole and how they'll work together.

We've been on the winter training course prior to the Fat Viking race here in Norway and even for -40C* it's just a CCF mat as snow is a good insulator and setting up "camp" is quick and there's no worrying about punctures.

*It's not been -40C here, just that's the temps that the technique is good to.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Comparison of mats and R values here. https://backpackinglight.com/sleeping-p ... at-useful/

Seems to be a grey area especially when you have two sets of R values. Interesting line regarding matching sleeping bag and mat.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
Teetosugars

Post by Teetosugars »

Cheers all.. :-bd