Ribble Adventure

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Shewie

Ribble Adventure

Post by Shewie »

I’ve seen Stu’s preview but can’t see much else on these, I notice a few members have pulled the trigger though.

Any thoughts yet or is it too early to have an opinion?

Ti is out of my range but the 725 is appealing,

Any thoughts on the steel vs carbon fork option? Drops or loops?
The Cumbrian

Re: Ribble Adventure

Post by The Cumbrian »

I can't help with a user review Rich, but I was in the shop last week and they look mighty nice.

I went to look at the CGR, but after seeing the Adventure I had to remind myself that I'm looking for a bike for 75% road / 25% off road, not the other way around.
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

I think a trip over the Pennines is imminent
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Sorry there's no follow up review Rich, the promises of a test bike all came to nothing. However, if I put my bitterness aside for a second, they look lovely :wink:

I wasn't aware of the drop bar model until quite recently and I think it's quite a brave move and a good one - not from a sales point of view as they'll likely be quite low but it's good to see companies offering stuff that's less of the norm. If I were buying one then I'd likely want drop bars and steel forks but I imagine loops with carbon forks will be more popular.

Sorry I can't be more help but in summary, I don't think you'd go far wrong with any of the specs.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

My 10 cents is that I prefer loops to drops on my bike* having run both.

I generally feel more confident with the loops that I did with drops but that may be components rather than handling.

I found drops made accessing the brake lever when descending a bit more difficult and I like being able to just run normal MTB components. Things have moved on with hydrualic drop bar 'gravel' groupsets now being available but they're generally out of my budget!

Technically with drops you are getting a third hand position on the hoods but that is dependent on the flare of the bar and it's shape as to whether that position is really usable.

*picture of my bike at the link below (sadly accidentally deleted the original so can't just post it). It's a custom frame I had made in 2011 from 725 which I've just had resprayed and put 650b wheels in. Tapered steerers and plus tyres weren't really a thing back then so it's not quite the same as the Ribble but close enough that I don't feel the need to buy one! :wink:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7GWUZmjRbi/
FLV

Post by FLV »

They look nice for sure but I'm put off by the 3 year warranty. Not that all warranties are actually worth the paper they're written on.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Have you seen the Dolan version? Not available in plumbing pipe unfortunately but there's an Alu and Carbon version, masses of clearance, bottle bosses everywhere, Shimano groupsets and downtube which accepts a front mech. Bizzarely the carbon is cheaper than the alu. My brother in law has one and it looks v nice.
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

Thanks the replies folks

Not heard of Dolan before, they do look very nice
composite

Post by composite »

The Cumbrian wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:10 am I can't help with a user review Rich, but I was in the shop last week and they look mighty nice.

I went to look at the CGR, but after seeing the Adventure I had to remind myself that I'm looking for a bike for 75% road / 25% off road, not the other way around.
I was very tempted by the Adventure but had the same thing in my mind that although I wanted a bike that could deal with light off-road it was predominately going to be used on road, so went with the CGR Ti.
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

composite wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:15 pm
The Cumbrian wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:10 am I can't help with a user review Rich, but I was in the shop last week and they look mighty nice.

I was very tempted by the Adventure but had the same thing in my mind that although I wanted a bike that could deal with light off-road it was predominately going to be used on road, so went with the CGR Ti.
Ah that’s a shame, I think when I did a search your post about buying one was the only one that came up.

I don’t know what I want now lol, I’ve gone from a carbon Whippet or Scott XC, to a Big Bro then a Cotic Soul, now a Ribble

Not interested in trail centres or jumps, most of my riding will be single track or off the beaten path in the highlands, Wales, Peaks or Lakes, I like the idea of a gravel machine for the flat bits but I’m not keen on the idea of drops (bad memories of my Peugeot racer in the 80’s)

Decisions decisions decisions
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

What didn’t you like about the Big Bro? I only ask because it and the ribble are on my shortlist
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

PaulB2 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:04 pm What didn’t you like about the Big Bro? I only ask because it and the ribble are on my shortlist
I still like it, that’s the problem, I’d have one of each if I could