29+ bikes, who rides one?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Post Reply
ton
Posts: 1081
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:53 am

29+ bikes, who rides one?

Post by ton » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:51 pm

because i have another itch.

been down the 29+ road a couple of times, firstly with a jones plus, which i didnt get on with, then with a ecr, which was great, but i fancied a change.
now i fancy a nice and light 29+.
the trek stache carbon thing looks nice, just wondering what else is available that is not overly hefty.

User avatar
99percentchimp
Posts: 903
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:46 pm
Location: North Wales!

Re: 29+ bikes, who rides one?

Post by 99percentchimp » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:09 am

Not sure I have much to add here. But loving the Jones Plus I have that I think was originally yours Tony :-)
No experience of any other 29+ but the format works for me!
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/

User avatar
In Reverse
Posts: 996
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:08 pm
Location: Manchester

Re: 29+ bikes, who rides one?

Post by In Reverse » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:49 am

ton wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:51 pm

now i fancy a nice and light 29+.
The Fatster that Alex Pilkington rides/sells is under 10kg

https://fatsterbike.com/the-fatster-tech-spec-pics/

lune ranger
Posts: 913
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:52 pm
Location: Peoples Republic of Devon

Re: 29+ bikes, who rides one?

Post by lune ranger » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:50 am

Yes. Surly Krampus and I love it.
I find it the most fun bike I’ve ridden in ages.
Set up with a high front end and Jones bars it rides like a dream.
The wheel/tyre size suits my riding style well. I’m not the fastest either up, down or across country but I like to keep going. Having said that I think I ride DH faster on the Krampus than my full sus 26er. Lacking finesse I can batter my way through stuff nicely.
What I would say is that you should go for the widest rims and 3.0 tyres to get the most of the plus experience rather than 35mm rims and 2.8 tyres. You may as well be riding a normal 29er in that case (imo :grin: )

techno mail
Posts: 957
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:31 am
Location: Hull

Re: 29+ bikes, who rides one?

Post by techno mail » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:40 am

In Reverse wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:49 am
ton wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:51 pm

now i fancy a nice and light 29+.
The Fatster that Alex Pilkington rides/sells is under 10kg

https://fatsterbike.com/the-fatster-tech-spec-pics/
These look lovely. Definitely on my lust list :lol:
Image

User avatar
FLV
Posts: 2866
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:12 am
Location: Northern Edge of the Peak - Mostly

Re: 29+ bikes, who rides one?

Post by FLV » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:43 am

I had a carver gnarvester for a while, that was a good bike. Decent value for a ti frame. Silly name though.

User avatar
faustus
Posts: 145
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:30 pm
Location: Newbury

Re: 29+ bikes, who rides one?

Post by faustus » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:53 am

Don't own one, but i like the looks of 29+ bikes and the ride. Think a stache must be good, but way out of my budget. I've ridden a rigid Genesis longitude (early one in 29+), and I loved it. Scratch the itch! :grin:

User avatar
JohnClimber
Posts: 2444
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:41 pm

Re: 29+ bikes, who rides one?

Post by JohnClimber » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:55 am

Yep,
I ride a Travers Angus with a Rohloff hub and Lauf Carbonara.
The perfect maintenance free bike packing bike

wriggles
Posts: 574
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:52 am
Location: South Chilterns

Re: 29+ bikes, who rides one?

Post by wriggles » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:21 am

I found the XL Stache too small for me Tony. By the time I had the bars high enough the reach was way too short. It also has a PF bottom bracket if that matters (it does to me).

I would go Waltly Ti if I got another 29+.

User avatar
johnnystorm
Posts: 3248
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:55 pm
Location: Eastern (Anglia) Front

Re: 29+ bikes, who rides one?

Post by johnnystorm » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:04 pm

Would you consider a hardtail with at least 29 x 2.6" as 29+?
Image
Blog, News, Reviews, Opinions, Routes: http://www.advntr.cc

User avatar
Escape Goat
Posts: 825
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:41 pm
Location: Not nearly close enough to Scotland...

Re: 29+ bikes, who rides one?

Post by Escape Goat » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:37 pm

I'm on Hunt Bikes 29+ myself

Image2020-01-23_06-35-09 by Escape Goat, on Flickr

https://huntbikes.com/
Bikepacking And Bourbon Biscuits

HopeValleyPaul
Posts: 271
Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:13 pm
Location: Hope Valley, Derbyshire.
Contact:

Re: 29+ bikes, who rides one?

Post by HopeValleyPaul » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:01 pm

Krampus with a Rohloff here. Absolutely love it, a hoot to ride and with the hub it’s idiot proof (but not light!) when I finally destroy it I’m keen to get a tumbleweed prospector.

Good overview of what’s available here.
https://bikepacking.com/index/29-plus-bikes/

lune ranger
Posts: 913
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:52 pm
Location: Peoples Republic of Devon

Re: 29+ bikes, who rides one?

Post by lune ranger » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:14 pm

HopeValleyPaul wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:01 pm
Krampus with a Rohloff here. Absolutely love it, a hoot to ride and with the hub it’s idiot proof (but not light!) when I finally destroy it I’m keen to get a tumbleweed prospector.

Good overview of what’s available here.
https://bikepacking.com/index/29-plus-bikes/
Snap! :-bd
Don’t think you’re ever going to break it.
My Rohloff comes of age this year it’s gonna have its 21st birthday!!

DickieH
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:41 am
Location: Eastbourne

Re: 29+ bikes, who rides one?

Post by DickieH » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:27 pm

Similar to the Fatster I have a Chinese CS-197 fatbike frameset. I initially built it up as a 10-ish kg fatbike; now running 29+ with mega clearance, Geoff bars, internal routed dropper and a Thule Tour rack.

(Now back to rigid fork since pic)

Image

User avatar
BigdummySteve
Posts: 1639
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:16 pm
Location: Oxfordshire

Re: 29+ bikes, who rides one?

Post by BigdummySteve » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:33 pm

I used to ride a rohloff ECR, ultimately I moved it on because of it’s inability to run anything besides 29+ due to the low bottom bracket.
29+ can be great, once you get used to running the low pressures where they work the grip and comfort are excellent. BUT.....in certain conditions 29+ can be a real hindrance, that floatation just can’t cut through a layer of slime and find the grip beneath and if the mud is if the claggy sticky type then you can end up with kilos stuck the those huge hoops.
They also have a big gyroscopic effect and can need a bit of body Language to turn at speed, obviously this can work to your advantage, coupled with the volume once your up to speed its like a monster truck.

The turning point for me was riding back from Avebury to goring on the road, there was no getting away from the fact that 29+ is draggy on tarmac.

It might seem like I hated the big hoops, having only one bike meant I needed more versatility 2.3” tyres and a teralogic fork just work for me.

29+ When it’s working is just the most fun you can have on two wheels, unfortunately I’m greedy.
We're all individuals...except me

“Y’all, think on
While you’re capturing the zeitgeist
They’re widening the motorway”-HMHB

User avatar
Escape Goat
Posts: 825
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:41 pm
Location: Not nearly close enough to Scotland...

Re: 29+ bikes, who rides one?

Post by Escape Goat » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:13 pm

johnnystorm wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:04 pm
Would you consider a hardtail with at least 29 x 2.6" as 29+?

Squeeze a 2.8 on there and we can :)
Bikepacking And Bourbon Biscuits

lune ranger
Posts: 913
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:52 pm
Location: Peoples Republic of Devon

Re: 29+ bikes, who rides one?

Post by lune ranger » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:56 pm

BigdummySteve wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:33 pm
I used to ride a rohloff ECR, ultimately I moved it on because of it’s inability to run anything besides 29+ due to the low bottom bracket.
29+ can be great, once you get used to running the low pressures where they work the grip and comfort are excellent. BUT.....in certain conditions 29+ can be a real hindrance, that floatation just can’t cut through a layer of slime and find the grip beneath and if the mud is if the claggy sticky type then you can end up with kilos stuck the those huge hoops.
They also have a big gyroscopic effect and can need a bit of body Language to turn at speed, obviously this can work to your advantage, coupled with the volume once your up to speed its like a monster truck.

The turning point for me was riding back from Avebury to goring on the road, there was no getting away from the fact that 29+ is draggy on tarmac.

It might seem like I hated the big hoops, having only one bike meant I needed more versatility 2.3” tyres and a teralogic fork just work for me.

29+ When it’s working is just the most fun you can have on two wheels, unfortunately I’m greedy.
All bikes/tyres are going to find conditions in which they don’t excel.
Surly Dirtwizards are great mud tyres, biting well where others I have tried have struggled.
As for being draggy on the road - well yes, there is no denying that fact - but no one ever said 29+ is a road bike standard. Having said that, I really don’t mind riding mine on the road too much. BB200 2018 had plenty of road and I still managed a comfortable Black Badge. If I can be bothered to pump up to 30psi road sections don’t feel much more draggy than on my Fargo with knobbly 2.4’s

And one more thing.... Avebury to Goring on the road? Isn’t that what the Ridgeway is for? :grin:

Cocker
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue May 15, 2018 8:59 pm

Re: 29+ bikes, who rides one?

Post by Cocker » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:00 am

ton
i'm on 29 plus on my speedball,and find it perfect.
it just so happens my best mate has bought a carbon stache(from cycletechnology) and he loves it.
think he is on an xl,i'm sure he'd let you try it bud

Cocker
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue May 15, 2018 8:59 pm

Re: 29+ bikes, who rides one?

Post by Cocker » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:02 am

just to add,the ti speedball is a lot lighter,and i'm sure andy can do made to measure in ti.

User avatar
BigdummySteve
Posts: 1639
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:16 pm
Location: Oxfordshire

Re: 29+ bikes, who rides one?

Post by BigdummySteve » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:03 am

I’d ridden the ridgeway, then it poured with rain overnight, I knew there would no next to zero grip on the chalk and needed to get back ASAP.
We're all individuals...except me

“Y’all, think on
While you’re capturing the zeitgeist
They’re widening the motorway”-HMHB

Scud
Posts: 400
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:18 pm
Location: North Norfolk

Re: 29+ bikes, who rides one?

Post by Scud » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:10 pm

I had tried proper 29+ on Salsa Beargrease fat bike, made for a really light bike compared to many, but i know have singlespeed Stooge and a geared Singular Gryphon and have a 29+ front wheel that i place into either of them when i think it will be better than standard wheel, but with 2.4 in the rear of both, works really well for comfort on longer days.

Post Reply