Conti Mud King 1.8

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ootini

Conti Mud King 1.8

Post by ootini »

Hi.

I've been thinking about winter tyres for the Arkose and don't really want to faff with a second set of wheels / 650b, so looking for something 700c/29 and knobbly. I was curious as to whether anyone has used Conti Mud kings at 29x1.8?
Not sure if they'd fit, but I have a sneaking suspicion they might, given that it can swallow WTB Riddlers in 45mm with space to spare.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Conti Mud King 1.8

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

1.8" is kind of 45mm and they seem to have quite a squared off profile, so I'd be surprised if they didn't fit. Looks like it could be overkill for many situations though?
May the bridges you burn light your way
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Have nothing helpful to add I'm afraid, but I'd be interested to hear how you get on since I've been considering a second wheel/tyre option for my 2014/5(?) Arkose. (What year is yours?) Assumed I would need to go 650B since there's not much room in there. A second wheelset is arguably less faff since changing wheels is easier than changing tyres (esp. if tubeless, though mine is currently not), but more expensive and more stuff to store.

If I get a chance I'll chuck a 29er wheel with a 2.1" tyre on it in the back and see how much room - can't try the front as the 29er wheels are QR and fork is thru-axle.
ootini

Post by ootini »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:16 pm 1.8" is kind of 45mm and they seem to have quite a squared off profile, so I'd be surprised if they didn't fit. Looks like it could be overkill for many situations though?
Quite possibly overkill, but I don't seem to be able to find much inbetween the Mud King and Riddler. Any suggestions?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

WTB Resolute looks like it could cope with most things. 700c x 42

May the bridges you burn light your way
ootini

Post by ootini »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:05 pm WTB Resolute looks like it could cope with most things. 700c x 42

Cheers Stu
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I've been using WTB resolutes since last winter - I never did get round to taking them off for summer. They cope well with the combination of sand, mud and slippery pebbles we get on Cannock Chase - much better than the Riddler 37s they replaced. They don't feel too draggy on the road either albeit with nowhere near as much road hum as a mtb tyre.
Gregsie

Post by Gregsie »

Wish threads like this did not come up on this forum. Now musing whether I can fit 27.5 x 1.8 Mud Kings on my Escapade !

Cotic claim it'll take up to 47 mm and I guess there's only one way to find out.