Ergon GS3

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ScotRoutes

Ergon GS3

Post by ScotRoutes »

Anybody using these?

Background; I had been suffering a bit of wrist/hand pain on my MTBs. I was investigating bars with more sweep - 12/16 degrees. They are all a bit spendy and after a bit of research I found the Ergon GE1 grips supposedly add a bit of sweep to more normal bar shapes. Tried them, liked them, and have now fitted them to 3 bikes.

My Pact - being my main bikepacking r i g is still sporting Jones Loop bars but I'm thinking of going the Ergon route with this too. I already have a suitable flat bar. Previously I'd used Cane Creek Ergo bar ends but I'm not sure these would work well with the GE1s. I then spotted the GS3s, with the built in bar end.

So, how have folk liked them. And - crucially - do they also add a couple of degrees of sweep?

Ta.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Ergon GS3

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

being my main bikepacking r i g
You did that on purpose :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I think the grips are basicaly the same across the models its just the bar ends that differ across models- I think I have two different ones but cannot tell the difference between them in use - till I grab the bar eds which are different

Dislcaimer mine will be older models [5 + years] I cannot say about newer versions

EDIT: I can send some up if you want to try them but probably a fiver there and back postage wise - the G3 are the newest I own.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:06 pm
being my main bikepacking r i g
You did that on purpose :wink:
Moi?
ton

Post by ton »

I have use ergon grips for years. all the different ones.
I don't think they add any sweep to a bar. I may be wrong
I have got to the stage where I can no longer use them. I have to have them tilted really forward to keep the line from my wrist to forearm straight. this means when riding on rough terrain my hand can be jarred forward and off the bar.

I now use kyote bars which keep my hands in the correct position.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

ton wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:00 pm I have use ergon grips for years. all the different ones.
I don't think they add any sweep to a bar. I may be wrong
The GE1s definitely do. Not sure about the GS models, hence my question
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I dont think they do change the angle [and none of their blurb claims it does but i assume you knew this] as the forward facing part is just a straight line . However the rear palm bit is a different angle so i think they change the wrist position/hand position but whether this would be enough for your needs or not i cannot say ,

Still happy to send you some to try if you want,
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Lazarus wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:35 am I dont think they do change the angle [and none of their blurb claims it does but i assume you knew this] as the forward facing part is just a straight line . However the rear palm bit is a different angle so i think they change the wrist position/hand position but whether this would be enough for your needs or not i cannot say ,

Still happy to send you some to try if you want,
Hmm. Thanks for the offer. I might faff around with some GE1s and my CC Ergos to see how that works.