Exped Mat Repair Advice Please.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Ray Young

Exped Mat Repair Advice Please.

Post by Ray Young »

So my exped downmat has a small leak. I repaired a previous one using tenacious tape on Stu's advice and it's held fine ever since. This one's s bit more problematic as it's in an awkward position. It's right on the edge near the top of an air chamber so any patch needs to be able to conform to the various shapes in the area when the mats inflated. I tried tenacious tape but it just doesn't conform well enough. The mat isn't fully inflated in the picture so the shapes are more extreme when it is fully inflated. Hope this all makes sense. The hole is in the centre of the highlighted area. Any advice gratefully received.
https://flic.kr/p/2igF3AK
ScotRoutes

Re: Exped Mat Repair Advice Please.

Post by ScotRoutes »

I had a wee hole like that and just repaired it with the Exped glue. I was a bit dubious but it's carried on fine for the past 12 months or so.
benconnolli

Post by benconnolli »

I’ve had two proper holes, one 5cm 3cm L shaped over a baffle. Sewed it up with a my shorts label as a patch then the exped glue is what makes it airtight. The patches are just to stop the glue sticking to itself I believe. Think three layers each dried until tacky (10-15). Holds air like new
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Thanks. I hadn't realised exped glue needs 3 applications, that'll be why my first puncture didn't mend properly until I put tenacious tape on it.