Newborough forest bivvy and pub recommendations

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mike

Newborough forest bivvy and pub recommendations

Post by Mike »

Hi all, for those who have bivvied near or in the forest is there a pub nearby you can recommend for grub please. Heading out on sat arvo from betws y coed and aiming for a night on the beach somewhere as weather looks amazing. Anyone fancy it feel free to join in. Doing a loop of the peninsula then om sun n mon
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Newborough forest bivvy and pub recommendations

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

a loop of the peninsula
That's quite some ride fella. Newborough is on Anglesey not on the Llyn?
May the bridges you burn light your way
BreninBeener

Post by BreninBeener »

Newborough is so named as it was a new borough, created as a little colony where all the nuisance residents if anglesey were moved to. Think of it as an Australian analogy. It has a ton of antisocial behaviour priblems.
There is a pub in the village but its not really a nice place.
I would aim to be self sufficient. There is a chip shop amd cafe and im not sure the 'late shop' is still open.
The forest and beach is beautiful and despite the problems of the village the forestry remains one of my fave places.
Mike

Post by Mike »

:o i didnt know that but thanks. Stu, yeah i was just looking at a potential route via the forest 😂 but i might still do a hike up aran for a night out yet with the winter tent as it could prob do with an air
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

The name is slightly ironic as there was a settlement there in mediaeval times - by the side of the road heading to the parking area and before you get to the forest area itself there are the outlines of one of the old courts of the princes of Gwynedd. There was a massive storm in the early 14c and the place got buried in sand.

They weren't really ne'er do wells that "founded" Newborough - Edward 1 basically evicted a whole town so that he could build Beaumaris and its port and castle.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

but i might still do a hike up aran for a night out yet with the winter tent as it could prob do with an air
There's a nice dusting of white stuff on top fella.
May the bridges you burn light your way
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

Yep... white on the tops here Mike in N Wales today.
In the forest near to the causeway out to Llanddwyn… on the 'island' itself but you may get wardens/visitors. I always liked the back of the spit that is the NW side of the Menai straight entrance.
Really nice little cafe in for a stop/brekkie in Malltraeth (head out of the forest and onto the - great cake if you like that for brekkie :wink: not 100% sure of opening times)
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.19254 ... 6656?hl=en
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Yeah Newborough is friggin ace for a bivvy when the forecast is spot on. There's plenty of places. Like Mark says if you decide to pitch on Llanddwyn island, do it discreetly as the wardens don't like folk there at night. Also keep an eye on the tide times as you might have a long wait if its a high tide and you want to leave :lol:
Not too sure on places to eat tbh, I usually take my own when I'm there. Have a good one, I'm heading into the hills this weekend, its looks perfecto :-bd
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 3

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos