Tell me about Garmin InReach

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Richard G

Re: Tell me about Garmin InReach

Post by Richard G »

I assume you just pull the GPX / fit file off it and it shows you where you've been.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

You'd use logging if you wanted to upload the GPS track to Strava/Connect etc the way you would from another Garmin/GPS. If you already do this from another device (or don't do it at all), there's no need to switch it on.
Jurassic pusher

Post by Jurassic pusher »

Thanks, I understand now.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Richard G wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:20 pm I assume you just pull the GPX / fit file off it and it shows you where you've been.
Cannot get the GPX off the Explorer+ or mini
Have to export from the explore website.

66i will likely be different as that unit is a full blown GPS
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Logging is useful if you want people watching the explore website to get a “detailed” trace of your track.

When logging internally the inReach will use cellular data (when available) to “in fill” the iridium tracking points

For the most point there is little need to internal logging.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Asposium wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:20 pm Logging is useful if you want people watching the explore website to get a “detailed” trace of your track.

When logging internally the inReach will use cellular data (when available) to “in fill” the iridium tracking points

For the most point there is little need to internal logging.
So... If I'm gonna use Trackleaders - as the organiser has nicely requested (if able... or at the least SpotWalla) on Dales Divide600 - and want to be part of 'the show' and be abble to recreate how fast ( I got to the back of the back and stayed there ) I was upon redoing it post ride. Does that mean I need logging (and therefore faster battery depletion) turned on. Or would just the 10 minute tracking intervals of the cheapest data plan be sufficient...

Apologies for the poor grammar :???:
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

No need for logging
Leave it off

As for the plan
Cheapest is £15 with £0.10 per point
One every ten mins is £0.60 an hour
Assume 16hours riding a day for four days
0.60 x 16 x 4
£38.40 in tracking points

Tariff with inclusive tracking is £38

You get the idea.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Thanks. Yup. Totally get the idea :-bd
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Asposium wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:20 pm When logging internally the inReach will use cellular data (when available) to “in fill” the iridium tracking points
Where did you get that from?

Tracking is done by GPS, the data then sent by iridium. I'd be very surprised to find that it uses regular cell network where available.

And no idea where this is coming from, but the battery life of the larger InReach Explorer's is about equal to that of an InReach Mini.
My 2 gen SPOT would drain it batteries with about 60 h of 10 min tracking. Nothing new there...

If you need a device only for tracking and emergency (and as a back up for navigation) - go with the InReach Mini.
SPOT seems no too bad etc. But remember that not all SPOTs allow two way communication.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Alpinum wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:26 am
Asposium wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:20 pm When logging internally the inReach will use cellular data (when available) to “in fill” the iridium tracking points
Where did you get that from?

Tracking is done by GPS, the data then sent by iridium. I'd be very surprised to find that it uses regular cell network where available.

And no idea where this is coming from, but the battery life of the larger InReach Explorer's is about equal to that of an InReach Mini.
Owning and experience of both
You’re correct, tracking is uploaded via iridium
However, logging is not uploaded via the iridium network
Logging is stored within the unit; then, when the mini (or Explorer+) are synced via the EarthMate app that logging data is shown on the website (explore) tracking page.

I have some screen shots somewhere showing “cellular in-fill”, will see if I can find them.
All quite irrelevant if one has no cellular coverage; however, handy in more urban areas, or when tracking is not used.

Again, can’t comment on the 66i as I don’t own that unit.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Alpinum wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:26 am
My 2 gen SPOT would drain it batteries with about 60 h of 10 min tracking. Nothing new there...
My Gen 3 goes a lot longer than that on a set of fresh Lithiums. Spot quote over 400 hours given a clear view of the sky.
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

What happens when you stop for some sleep or an hour in the pub?
Does the device go into a sleep mode like a SPOT
or do you turn it off or stop tracking?
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Mariner wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:13 am
What happens when you stop for some sleep or an hour in the pub?
Does the device go into a sleep mode like a SPOT
or do you turn it off or stop tracking?
This one is interesting
Explorer+ will continue tracking BUT at 4 hours. (Pretty such it was four hours)
Once moving again would return to 10mins
In Iceland I did a multi week hike and didn’t restart tracking once.

Mini would also go into extended tracking
But then turn off
Was somewhat annoying for the multi day trip I was doing at the time.
Now I just do day-to-day with the Mini, recharge each night.

Other than its size and legacy features the Explorer+ is very robust in its functionality
No bells or whistles.
No ANT+ connectivity, maps are utter rubbish, and tracks are limited to 500 points
But, it just works, and works damn well.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

ScotRoutes wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:30 am My Gen 3 goes a lot longer than that on a set of fresh Lithiums. Spot quote over 400 hours given a clear view of the sky.
I've never run out of battery or even come close with my Spot. I'd need a new job before I'd be able to take off enough time to ride for longer than the batteries would last for.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm told than this day is known to be the day of the year when people are at their lowest. Personally, I don't feel down but I'm going to use it as an excuse to say ... these things inc' Spot don't half seem like an expensive PITA for 99% of UK riding :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

See also: suspension, tubeless tyres, carbon components, strap on bags, multi-lumen lights etc, etc, etc
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

suspension, tubeless tyres, carbon components, strap on bags, multi-lumen lights etc, etc, etc
I don't see that those things (a) have to be expensive or (b) are actually a PITA ... except tubeless maybe but only those rare times when you need to get a tyre off in the hills, at night, in the rain, in winter and it refuses to budge. :wink:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

My Spot isn't a PITA either though. In fact, it couldn't really be much more simple as it's such a passive device.

Expense is relative. For instance, I look at the price of Salsa frames and think WTF? but other folk don't even blink.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

My Spot isn't a PITA either though. In fact, it couldn't really be much more simple as it's such a passive device.
Perhaps Colin, just reading the thread makes the whole experience sound complicated, awkward and costly but as you say, that's very subjective.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

these things inc' Spot don't half seem like an expensive PITA for 99% of UK riding
This place doesn't half feel parochial at times.
Of course they're overkill for a 2 hour ride to the pub, kip in the beer garden and back home for Sunday lunch.
There are places not far away where you'd be many days from rescue if you had a bike or body breaking incident. It could also be argued that some event organisers require them for safety or to prevent cheating as a cheap way of avoiding proper marshalling of long distance events. On the other hand I'm all in favour of their use on the Tour Aotouroa to police their compulsory breaks rule. (Assuming this is the way they do it)
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:12 pm
Perhaps Colin, just reading the thread makes the whole experience sound complicated, awkward and costly but as you say, that's very subjective.
Cost is certainly an issue. As 4G coverage has increased, I find myself less and less in areas where I can't get a data signal. That means a higher cost-per-trip where Spot is the only option. Despite a couple of very generous offers from Spot this year, I've held of renewing my subscription. However, just like any insurance,. It's expensive until you need it.

It really is a very simple device though, especially as battery life is so good. Switch it on at the start of a trip, switch it off at the end. The only time it's more complicated is either (a) setting it up on something like SpotWalla so folk can follow you on a trip or (b) lending it to someone else.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

This place doesn't half feel parochial at times.
More likely 'just me' than 'this place' at large.
There are places not far away where you'd be many days from rescue if you had a bike or body breaking incident.
True, yet people still went there and some even came back. :wink:
as a cheap way of avoiding proper marshalling of long distance events.
Some might argue that marshalls would deem any event to be no longer truly self-supported perhaps?
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

You don't find value in them Stu, we know... you've said in the past.

Some of us do, and are apparently willing to put up with some degree of hassle to try and reduce the cost of them. Admittedly, in this case it's probably a bit too much hassle for me, and I'd rather just pay a bit too much and get a yearly subscription to the Spot (could loan it out then too I guess).
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

You don't find value in them Stu, we know... you've said in the past.
Sorry Richard, didn't mean to be predictable or boring :wink:

I do see their value and I can also see why people may choose to use one or have one thrust upon them by others. I think what probably scares me most is the potential for reliance but again, that's likely just me and am happy to be out on a limb with this :wink:
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I think in reality they're only useful for moderate peace of mind, and for the occasional trip where you're likely to be off the beaten track for a while... but, for that I'm willing to spend money (and obviously have in the past).

I was wondering if I'd use one for the WRT, and in theory the answer would be no, as I'm usually in a group, but by the same token, I know how bad the signal tends to be so actually, I'd be half tempted to anyway just in case something serious happened to one of the group in a particularly remote section.

For something like the BB200 though I'd consider it a no brainer, mostly because you could have 15 different people take their own path through the tussocks at any one point and not even see you laying there. :lol: