Wide Range Gearing Question

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Al

Re: Wide Range Gearing Question

Post by Al »

I started with a road compact on my Camino and had same experience as stu - hardly ever used the big ring.
Now got an slx double with 42 / 28 and 11 36 cassette. Using 10speed 105sti, a 9speed Xt tear mech and a cx series front one which copes well with the smaller chainrings.
Ive had it like this for just over a year - still nippy enough for me on the road and will go anywhere off road.
Charliecres

Re: Wide Range Gearing Question

Post by Charliecres »

My two penn’orth- I asked all these questions on here before buying my Pickenflick (2x11 50/34 and 11/32). I decided I’d need to run an MTB chainset and bought one to swap in for the original.

Well, I’ve had the Pickenflick for a year now and ridden it loaded down the Ridgeway and all over the South Downs on the 50/34 chainset. It’s been fine and I’ve welcomed the high gears on the road. I haven’t yet bothered to fit the MTB chainset.

Now, I have some plans for rides in Wales and Scotland where I’m sure I would need the lower gears, so I’m not saying they don’t make sense. Just sharing my experience to date.