Quad lock vs SP connect

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ootini

Quad lock vs SP connect

Post by ootini »

Hello.

Just curious as to whether anyone here has experience with the above mounting systems? I'm going down the phone = SatNav route and need a case and mount combo, but wanted to consult the hive mind before pulling the trigger.

Thanks
BigdummySteve

Re: Quad lock vs SP connect

Post by BigdummySteve »

Quadlock user for years, nice slim case, very secure mount (it’s not coming off unless you want it to) and a very good car mount. They also do some useful accessories such as a tripod adapter and wireless charging head, recommended :-bd
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Burko73

Post by Burko73 »

I’d been using the lifeproof fre case with their stick on mount and bar mount kit. It was solid on an iPhone 6 and didn’t move, break etc and gave full phone functionality. You could even stick a battery pack in a top tube mounted bag and connect to the charge point on the phone. All good.

I still have the bar mount but now have an iPhone 11 and before that an 8. I believe the chip thing you stick on the back of the phone gets in the way of cordless charging so I haven’t bothered to try it. It’s a pain as it worked so well on the 6.

I tried a topeak mount I borrowed from the local bike shop on a test bike. (Woods cyclery in lyndhurst if you’re interested, they’re a great bunch in there with some great stuff), it was a little mini clipboard type mount with elastic (silicon) bands at either end and it worked a treat to hold the iPhone 8. There was an issue with the 11 as in the lifeproof case it’s a little large and also the band arrangement prevents or at least hinders you “swiping up” from the bottom of the phone screen.

I’m still searching...
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

I used quad lock for ages, then moved to sp. I'm much happier as now there's so many more mounting options, plus sp seam to last longer.
Burko73

Post by Burko73 »

It was a topeak omni - they also do one with a power pack piggy back mount. Prob great if you have a phone with a home button and already have a decent waterproof case.
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

I’ve just bought an adhesive Garmin mount and a spare case for my phone. Seems a pretty good (cheap) solution, although my iPhone XR is a big lump and it does leave me slightly nervous over sustained big bumps.

I’m only going to use this as emergency back-up for a Garmin.
ootini

Post by ootini »

In case anyone is interested, Sigma sports are shifting SP connect phone specific bike bundles for £24 as opposed to the usual £40+.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Having had a look at the SP I’d still go for the quadlock,it comes down to the mounting options.
With the quad you can get a basic handlebar mount which is great and VERY secure, for a little more they have a choice of two out front mounts. I have the least expensive plastic one, the other is longer and aluminium. These mounts have the option of adding a GoPro mount to the underside, with the huge range of adapters it gives you the option of fixing almost anything under the phone, my light/charger lives here. With the car mounts, desktop mounts it’s an expandable system and the option of integrating wireless charging if you need it.
The SP although cheaper looks like a less mature product.
I’m thinking of adding a wireless head for winter event type conditions, although the phone is waterproof really soggy conditions can affect charging. I’d silicone the lead into the charging head and hopefully have completely weather proof charging, it would also make photo stops easy.

Thisisnotaspoon

Post by Thisisnotaspoon »

I’ve just bought an adhesive Garmin mount and a spare case for my phone. Seems a pretty good (cheap) solution, although my iPhone XR is a big lump and it does leave me slightly nervous over sustained big bumps.
Thats just what i did with a £2.99 case and a £4.50 garmin adhesive mount which came with an out front mount from china.

Has anyone tried packing the usb port with silicone/dielectric grease to stop it getting moist? Mine usually stops working even just in the backpack if its got wet and been left in a wet bag/jersey pocket.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

BigdummySteve wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:03 am Having had a look at the SP I’d still go for the quadlock,it comes down to the mounting options.
Steve what do you use as a waterproof cover?
I'm just going outside ...
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I don’t, I have an iPhone 8 which is water proof. The case does come with a cover which provides protection from the elements.

ootini

Post by ootini »

BigdummySteve wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:03 am Having had a look at the SP I’d still go for the quadlock,it comes down to the mounting options.
With the quad you can get a basic handlebar mount which is great and VERY secure, for a little more they have a choice of two out front mounts. I have the least expensive plastic one, the other is longer and aluminium. These mounts have the option of adding a GoPro mount to the underside, with the huge range of adapters it gives you the option of fixing almost anything under the phone, my light/charger lives here. With the car mounts, desktop mounts it’s an expandable system and the option of integrating wireless charging if you need it.
The SP although cheaper looks like a less mature product.
I’m thinking of adding a wireless head for winter event type conditions, although the phone is waterproof really soggy conditions can affect charging. I’d silicone the lead into the charging head and hopefully have completely weather proof charging, it would also make photo stops easy.
Good point re: mounting options, but I want the stem mount only, and no need for the gopro mount.