Brompton slow Puncture saga...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

FLV

Brompton slow Puncture saga...

Post by FLV »

So, simple story. My wifes brompton sat unused for ages. She wanted to use it again so i cleaned it up and popped a few new parts on it including a new front wheel.

I reused the old front tyre and tube. 2 days later flat tyre.
I failed to find a flat so put a new tube in. 12 hours later flat
Much faff later and we have the new wheel, new rim tape, new tube, new tyre. Stayed up over night. Sorted.
3 days later flat.... (well, about 8psi)
The last tube i took out is still happily inflated in the garage by the way... :roll:

Any ideas?
benp1

Re: Brompton slow Puncture saga...

Post by benp1 »

So which bits haven't changed? And have you checked them?

I.e. are there any sharp edges on the rim that are causing a tiny leak in the tyre?

Weird with separately and new tubes. Sounds like someones messing with you!
adjustablewench

Post by adjustablewench »

Are the valves seated in the tubes properly?

Dont have any problems with mine, so cant think of anything 'brompton specific' other than the valves being a pain with some pump heads, but I cant see it would be that easy to dislodge the actual valve insert.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

This is a common problem with all Bromptons that need any sort of work doing, it's possessed!
Best take it to your local hipster coffee emporium for an exorcism.

(I'm a qualified mechanic and still have the mental scars from doing a suspension bush change and Sturmey Archer service on one of these infernal contraptions.)
psling

Post by psling »

FLV wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:36 am I reused the old front tyre and tube. 2 days later flat tyre.
I failed to find a flat so put a new tube in. 12 hours later flat
Much faff later and we have the new wheel, new rim tape, new tube, new tyre. Stayed up over night. Sorted.
3 days later flat.... (well, about 8psi)
Am I right in thinking that the "new tube" in your 3rd line above with the new tyre is the same "new tube" that you used in your 2nd line above with the old tyre? (i.e. only 2 tubes used in total, the old tube and one "new tube").
If so, then it may be that a very small thorn or sliver of glass embedded in the old tyre may have caused a tiny puncture which may not be easily located in both the old tube and the new tube. Have you tried a 2nd new tube with the new tyre?
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Gregsie

Post by Gregsie »

Know it's SBO but have you tried the old fashioned bucket of water test to find out where the leak is ?

Might be a shard of glass or wire that's stuck in the tyre and only makes contact when the tyre's inflated. Had that before.