is this a daft question - two quilts

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

barney

is this a daft question - two quilts

Post by barney »

not sure if this is a daft question...

I'm heading out on Friday for the first time in a while, I only have one 4 season bag and it's quite bulky. I was wondering about taking both my 2-3 season quilts (Alpkit and Cumlus) instead. This will mean a lot less packing space.

Would two quilts on top of me offer similar/almost the same as a 4 season bag (even though you could argue you might get away without the need for 4-seasons this weekend)

Like I say don't mock if its a stupid idea :lol:

cheers
Wait for me...
whitestone

Re: is this a daft question - two quilts

Post by whitestone »

barney wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:12 pm not sure if this is a daft question...

I'm heading out on Friday for the first time in a while, I only have one 4 season bag and it's quite bulky. I was wondering about taking both my 2-3 season quilts (Alpkit and Cumlus) instead. This will mean a lot less packing space.

Would two quilts on top of me offer similar/almost the same as a 4 season bag (even though you could argue you might get away without the need for 4-seasons this weekend)

Like I say don't mock if its a stupid idea :lol:

cheers
Not daft at all. Have a read of this - https://support.enlightenedequipment.co ... t-Layering

I have a PHD Minim 200 sleeping bag and a Cumulus 150 quilt, both are rated to around 5C, together they are good to -6/7C.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
FLV

Post by FLV »

Sounds like the same theory used for years of supplementing a sleeping bag with a down jacket. Youre just usjng quilts instead.

I find with quilts i need a more insulated matt than with a bag, but given that you own 2 quilts i suspect you know that side already
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Not a daft question at all.

1. Yes it works, especially if one is a bit bigger than the other.
2. to compare both systems you can lay them on the floor and measure the thickness of the bag vs. both quilts. Only measure the part of the sleep system that covers you, don't include the part you lie on - as this will be compressed and not do much (well, hardly anything at all) for warmth.

Give this a read, some insights into this very topic.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=13451
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Not a sully question.

I use my Cumulus 450 and 250 together in the winter and a down jacket too.

Go for it
Burko73

Post by Burko73 »

I though one of those sea to summit reactor sleeping bag liners would be useful in the winter with a quilt. Make it a bit cosier and less drafty at least.