Anyone Ridden River Meig Track?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Ray Young

Anyone Ridden River Meig Track?

Post by Ray Young »

Has anyone ridden the track that follows the River Meig in Scotland? It is West of Contin and runs South of and parallel to the A832, A890, NH218519 to NH107478. I'm hoping Scotroutes might know this one. Thanks.
Last edited by Ray Young on Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ScotRoutes

Re: Anyone Ridden River Meig Track?

Post by ScotRoutes »

Sorry, don't have map to hand at the moment but I think you're talking about the Glenuaig Lodge track? If so, then it's mostly rideable. Metalheart has been along it fairly recently.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

ScotRoutes wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:20 pm Sorry, don't have map to hand at the moment but I think you're talking about the Glenuaig Lodge track? If so, then it's mostly rideable. Metalheart has been along it fairly recently.
Yes, that's the one, thanks.
Pushbikemike and I are planning on doing the HT 550 together but neither of us can get enough time off to do it all in one go. Splitting the route along this Glen will give a near enough 50/50 mileage split so we can do it over two separate weeks (albeit a year apart).
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Aye, that'll work fine. MH used it to get to Strathcarron (met me off the train). We then did the bit of the HT550 to Glen Lichd, AKW to Drum and SSW back to Inverness.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Thanks, that's great news. The path isn't too clear on satellite images and given the amount of streams coming off the hillsides it looked as though it could have been boggy bikehike hell.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I didn't say it wasn't :wink: :lol:
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

ScotRoutes wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:34 pm I didn't say it wasn't :wink: :lol:
Wouldn't bother me, apparently I have a reputation for liking that sort of thing, :wink: . Mike on the other hand may not have been too impressed.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I've eyed that route up a few times but never had cause to use it yet so will be interested to see how you get on. A mate has done and also pronounced it a goer but boggy.....
Pretty good way to split the route up actually :-bd
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

htrider wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:30 pmPretty good way to split the route up actually :-bd
Thanks, it adds 34 miles to both loops so my South loop is 334 miles and my North loop should be (I haven't plotted it yet) about 284 miles.
metalheart

Post by metalheart »

As SR said, I’ve ridden it. August ‘18 iirc.
ImageThe track between Corrievuic and Glenuaig Lodge

It’s mostly decent track but there’s a section in the middle (0.5-1 km) that was reedy/a bit damp. 18 was a pretty dry summer and there was only one section that I recall being wet and the trail kind of disappears for a bit. It wasn’t bad then but I could imagine it getting a bit swampy if it’s been pishin.

I headed out strathconnon and followed the Meig out through Glenuaig (camped at the bend on the river before the ruins before the lodge) and popped out at Craig.

I was also apprehensive about the middle section being a boggy hell and left plenty time for it. It ended up taking much less time than feared and I was pitched definitely before 5pm. I took two days to cross from the east but i ended up in Loch Carron before 11am and had 24 hours to cool my heels before Scotroutes train arrived...

Bar the short damp section I really enjoyed it. It was my first solo trip into the unknown... :grin:
Give the dirt a little room.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Thanks MH, that's good to know from someone who's done it. Really looking forward to this now.