jones bars not working...........again

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ton

jones bars not working...........again

Post by ton »

as some of you know, i hold the world record for buying and selling jones bars.
not because i am a twit, but because i have fused wrists that wont bend backwards, and jones bars seem to work for a while, and then they start to hurt.

so having not used any for a year or so, i decided to try again and got some off cocker off here.
was looking forward to a pain free ride......... bollocks to that, they dont work on the bike i got em for.
it is a 2019 trek xcaliber 29er, currently fitted with some wide high risers, with ergon grips. it works, but hurts a bit.
i fitted the jones bars and they are just far too low. the steerer is not over long, but works with the risers, the jones sit a good 2'' lower.

i fucking hate bikes................... ;o(
Mike

Re: jones bars not working...........again

Post by Mike »

Are they carbon and r u considering selling them?
ton

Post by ton »

no.

yes.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Tony, have you tried the Jones riser bars? They lift things by 2.5".

I had standard Jones bars on my fat bike and they were just a bit low (couldn't raise them as the steerer had been cut low) so swapped them for the Riser version and now they are well positioned, in fact I dropped them 10mm the other day.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ton

Post by ton »

Bob, no mate, but to be honest, i am now loathe to buy some incase they dont work.
so gonna sell the loops and stick with the risers.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Are you finding that the bars are turning your hand out at the wrist Tony? I'm assuming that's not good with a fused wrist but I'm also assuming you wrists are set with a straight wrist / hand?
May the bridges you burn light your way
ton

Post by ton »

Stu, you could tape a straight edge to my forearm/wrist whilst i am holding my bars, and it wouldnt bother me, if you get what i mean. my hand will only bend forward and not back at all.

a ergon type grip tilted forward supports my palm/heel. but this can cause it to slip off riding offroad.
ton

Post by ton »

if these bars were 31.8 and 700mm wide, they would be perfect, with the ends tilted down a bit.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/handlebars/ ... ver-500mm/
windjammer

Post by windjammer »

maybe get some custom made bars,try a cnc pipe bending company
windjammer

Post by windjammer »

fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

ergotec high charisma stem will get you 2" of lift and are only £30.
The reach of the 90mm one suits loop bars as it puts your hands right on the steerer tube axis.
If you go back to normal bars try Stooge motos or Surly Sunrises - lots of lift and 20 degree sweep.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

ton wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:07 pm if these bars were 31.8 and 700mm wide, they would be perfect, with the ends tilted down a bit.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/handlebars/ ... ver-500mm/
These are 666mm. Surly Open.

Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

I too have issues with my right wrist from crashes with multiple fractures, thankfully I got away without operations.

Until last summer, when a friend on a multi year bike ride visited, I immediately felt uncomfy with bars with loads of back sweep, especially Jones'.

My friends Jones' though... wow, they felt really, really comfy. I suddenly understood the hype. The only difference was that he has tilted his Jones bar downward more than what I had tried before. The ride was very short but gave me the idea how important the amount of tilt is - as with any bar actually.
If you've not tried different angles yet, go give that a try, perhaps you can find a suitable position.

Like lifting a barrow; when it's on the ground you have a straight line running down your arm and through the wrist. As you lift the barrow you need to angle the wrist more and more. In my case and I imagine in your's it's much worse even, there's soon a point where I get a stinging pain and have to grip the handles from below in an awkward position to empty the barrow. Painful stuff.

If you need to go really low to be comfy, small bar end may help preventing from slipping when things get rough.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Alpinum wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:26 am
If you've not tried different angles yet, go give that a try, perhaps you can find a suitable position.
I have my Loops angled more than most folk I see. There's a pronounced angle down towards the rear wheel not flat like a bus steering wheel.

I think this sort of captures it

Image2019-01-06_10-17-36 by Colin Cadden, on Flickr
Cocker

Post by Cocker »

i f found they worked best as high as possible with a riser stem,and angled down toward the rear hub.
i took a bit of trial and error.
may be worth trying something like the stooge moto bar,more rise and a little less sweep.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

ScotRoutes wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:25 am
Alpinum wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:26 am
I think this sort of captures it

Image2019-01-06_10-17-36 by Colin Cadden, on Flickr
Exactly, cheers Colin.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Just measured mine and Cath's bars and they are all angled down by 25deg+. But it's a very personal thing - my Spearfish is 27.5deg for example. It also depends on the height relative to the saddle.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Mart

Post by Mart »

I tried tilting downward, while comfy it put more weight on my hands so had to tweak back up a little
2924 miles per Gallon
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Maybe also worth considering that some of us - granted, probably only a few, just don't get on with them.
May the bridges you burn light your way
techno

Post by techno »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:58 am Maybe also worth considering that some of us - granted, probably only a few, just don't get on with them.
I found the Geoff bars had too much angle for my wrists. Where the planet x OG bars seem spot on.
Could have been that the combinations of reach and rise didn't put them in the correct place......
So many variables.
marcinski

Post by marcinski »

I found that Jones-like bars work for me best when about level with the saddle. I have them set up like that on one bike (Gryphon) which is perfect for me. However when I grafted them on Ritchey Commando with much shorter stack - it didn't work well at all.
Geoff bars went back to Gryphon and I fitted Ritchey Kyote to the Commando - less sweep (30-35 from memory), much wider at 800mm and also 35mm rise - so they ended up at about saddle level - perfect!
Just throwing this as another possible solution.

Best,
Marcin
ton

Post by ton »

I have the kyote bars on my tourer, which has a much longer steerer. and they seem to work fine.
they also have a bit of rise, might sell the jones and buy another pair of those.

so if anyone needs a pair of jones loops with xl esi grip, message me. :-bd
techno

Post by techno »

ton wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:09 am I have the kyote bars on my tourer, which has a much longer steerer. and they seem to work fine.
they also have a bit of rise, might sell the jones and buy another pair of those.

so if anyone needs a pair of jones loops with xl esi grip, message me. :-bd
just ordered myself a set from wiggle, £26 at the mo: https://www.wiggle.co.uk/ritchey-kyote-comp-handlebar/
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Gah! They were out of stock when I ordered some (for more £££) two days ago!
techno

Post by techno »

Landslide wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:47 pm Gah! They were out of stock when I ordered some (for more £££) two days ago!
:shock: :oops:
Sorry 'bout that......