jones bars not working...........again

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mariner

Re: jones bars not working...........again

Post by Mariner »

Landslide wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:47 pm Gah! They were out of stock when I ordered some (for more £££) two days ago!
CRC have four in stock.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
ton

Post by ton »

got mine from SJSC
jameso

Post by jameso »

Ton, you tried them with a really high-rise stem?

RE Jones bar angles, Jeff recommends they are st up as Scotroutes and Alpinum say, angled down a fair bit. I have mine very similar to that pic, 15, maybe 20 degrees downward tilt. The problem is that most bikes have a low front end and Jones bars work brilliantly (imo/ime etc) on a bike with a higher front end. Angled down, the grips get 20-30mm lower than the already low position of average bikes - as Marcin and Mart's post, I had same experience fitting them to a Genesis. That's where the +2.5" rise version came from as I understood it.
Cocker

Post by Cocker »

ton,i'll buy them back off you if you want mate?no doubt they will come in handy for a future project
if you wan to try the moto bars,let me know and i can take mine off the speedball for you to try,before you spend any money on them
fatbikerbill

Post by fatbikerbill »

Tony,

Where abouts are you?

I could loan you some Jones risers to try if you want. I am located near Blackburn.

PM if you are.
Bill
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

My Jones bars felt fine on my Jones, and on my Stooge, until I tried some Stooge Moto bars and realised my Jones bars have been far too low. Night and day.

Next step is a longer steerer for the Jones I reckon.
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

I've decided my Joan's bars rip offs are not working. They're too low. I'm considering changing to stooge bars but I love the loop support for the bag and also for a great climbing position. What to do... Least I didn't fork out for carbon Jones bars, but they do do a riser bar...
techno

Post by techno »

Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

That's exactly the one I have fitted. It looks so goofy though.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

We shouldn't be afraid of how stupid we look on our velocipedes.

There are limits though... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
techno

Post by techno »

Escape Goat wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:44 pm That's exactly the one I have fitted. It looks so goofy though.
Come on man, There's a whole other level of dorkishness you could yet achieve: https://velo-orange.com/products/cigne-stem
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

techno mail wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:02 pm
Escape Goat wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:44 pm That's exactly the one I have fitted. It looks so goofy though.
Come on man, There's a whole other level of dorkishness you could yet achieve: https://velo-orange.com/products/cigne-stem
:lol:
ScotRoutes wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:50 pm We shouldn't be afraid of how stupid we look on our velocipedes.

There are limits though... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah I shouldn't worry...
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

I have a couple of bikes with massive amounts of stack height under the stem.
I have to admit that they do look very dorky but if you keep a fuel tank bag permanently attached you hardly notice it at all.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I think this looks great. I know it's all in the eye of the beholder etc but I'd certainly have one of these ... I also appreciate this this isn't really owt to do wuth Jones bars either so as you were.

May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:14 pm I think this looks great. I know it's all in the eye of the beholder etc but I'd certainly have one of these ... I also appreciate this this isn't really owt to do wuth Jones bars either so as you were.

But just think how much Autosol you'd go through!
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

That’s a Humpert/Ergotec High Charisma by the looks of it.
I have one of those in Matt black in new condition if anyone wants one. PM me if interested.
I got it for my Krampus but opted for robbing the Firestarter forks off my Fargo instead. They still had an uncut steerer so gave me the rise I needed.
WSC
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

That’s a Humpert/Ergotec High Charisma by the looks of it
Velo Orange ... possibly the same?
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

The Ergotec i have is Matt black but the casting looks identical. Maybe the face plate is different but can’t tell from that angle
WSC
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

If you are looking to fit stooge motos onto a 'normal' bike and want to keep the reach short, try one of these:- https://www.silverfish-uk.com/products/ ... em-FG-10mm
Spendy but puts the bars about 2" above and 3/8" in front of your fork steerer. It makes the steering incredibly light and direct as your hands are right on the steerer axis. I use these on my Ice cream truck with motos and on the Kramp with sunrises. They are also bomb and idiot proof...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

If you are looking to fit stooge motos onto a 'normal' bike and want to keep the reach short, try one of these:- https://www.silverfish-uk.com/products/ ... em-FG-10mm
The FG10 configuration provides an extreme racing focus whilst significantly improving control
WTF does that ^ actually mean? :wink:
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:46 pm
The FG10 configuration provides an extreme racing focus whilst significantly improving control
WTF does that ^ actually mean? :wink:

Mondraker forward geo stems are great for mondraker bikes that are quite a bit longer, but I've never found this nor the one I had on a club roost dh bike back in the day that had a 0mm long stem on any good really...unless the top tube is at least 50mm longer to compensate the lack of stemmage.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I appreciate that Allen but really WTF does "The FG10 configuration provides an extreme racing focus" actually mean? It appears to mean nothing at all. :wink:
techno

Post by techno »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:08 pm I appreciate that Allen but really WTF does "The FG10 configuration provides an extreme racing focus" actually mean? It appears to mean nothing at all. :wink:
"Blah blah blah, buy this it'll make you faster, honest!"
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:08 pm I appreciate that Allen but really WTF does "The FG10 configuration provides an extreme racing focus" actually mean? It appears to mean nothing at all. :wink:
Oh sorry wrong angle. That means fig rolls to the power of 10, can't explain the "extreme racing focus" marketing sub standard though. I hear that type of faffery all day, as you probably know Stuart,and actually glaze over it.