A broken spoke they said ...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

whitestone

A broken spoke they said ...

Post by whitestone »

So on Saturday Cath got back from a ride with the club. "You broke a spoke" - well that's what the other riders said until they stopped and ...

So that rim's toast. :???:

The bike is her Pinnacle Arkose so she's looking for a replacement rim, probably should be a "gravel" (sorry) friendly rim. I can find gravel wheels but not rims. Any suggestions? The original was 19mm internal width so something around 19-21mm IW.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Asposium

Re: A broken spoke they said ...

Post by Asposium »

Running Mavic open pro UST disc rims on my gravel bikes
Seems quite sturdy
Tubeless is simple
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

Bit of tape and that will be fine! :lol:

I have just used any skinny mtb 29er rim thats tubeless ready and not too heavy on my "gravel" bike. Ideally you want something with the same ERD to re-use the spokes. Easy to swap over yourself by taping new & old together and swap spokes to new rim. Crc had some cheap Alex and WTB rims. Kinlin TL-21 or TL-23 from Spa are £35 and good rims.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

WTB i19's been good to me but the mavics are good too. Whatever is cheapest Bob :grin:
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

My Arkose came with WTB i19 rims which seem to work fine
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

PaulB2 wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:30 pm My Arkose came with WTB i19 rims which seem to work fine
According to the spec the Arkose came with WTB i19 rims.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Or Bob you could venture over to the Cycle Clinic and grab a Kinlin rim of apropriate dimensions. The chap at said store speaks highly of them and there is reports that its actually Kinlins that are used by Hunt and rebadged/branded. Pretty sure you can find an appropriate rim from there for not too much money and then just electrical tape both rims together and just swap spokes straight across.

If you let Cycle Clinic know what rims you already have I'm pretty sure he will have a rough idea on what external rim diameter would be most appropriate. If the 'open heart surgery' doesn't go quite to plan (ie. Spokes are too far off sizing) then unforunately back to the drawing boards of dismantling hubs and rims then measuring up accurately for correct spokes sizing.

Am just about to build some HED Belgium Plus rims (they'd probably be ideal for you application but a bit expensive... I got em super cheap off ebay in a closeout ages ago) into a rear hub and DT spoke calculator states 292 and 290mm spokes. I plan to use 292mm on L and R sides but will add a turn or so to the 290mm side during the initial tightening process. Am pretty sure it'll all go swimmingly and hopefully also will for yourself... :-bd

Last edited by redefined_cycles on Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

NB. Just for ref, as I know you'll probably not be looking for a HED Belgium+, it's 20.5mm internal rim which has a hook/bead of 1mm either side... so essentially a 22.5mm internal width...
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

whitestone wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:32 pm
PaulB2 wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:30 pm My Arkose came with WTB i19 rims which seem to work fine
According to the spec the Arkose came with WTB i19 rims.
Out of curiosity, what would cause a run to fail like that?