Ritchey kyote bars anyone.....?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ton

Ritchey kyote bars anyone.....?

Post by ton »

anyone tried ritchey kyote bars?

bloody wide arnt they.

but they seem very comfy. or they do if you are broad of the shoulder.
techno

Re: Ritchey kyote bars anyone.....?

Post by techno »

ton wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:27 am anyone tried ritchey kyote bars?

bloody wide arnt they.

but they seem very comfy. or they do if you are broad of the shoulder.
i'm about to buy a set as i have some on-one OG bars and need more space for my controls.
bars.jpg
(64.61 KiB) Downloaded 754 times
will try a shorter stem with them to equalise the reach.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Look similar to On-One OG bars Tony which I've used in the past but prefer them 'flipped'.

Beaten to it. :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

I got them quite recently, though because of injury not given them a proper test ride yet. I couldn't get on with the (740 wide) bars that came on the Longitude even though I'd cut them down a chunk. Think it was the change in angle at the wrist that was causing finger numbness. As I run Fleegles on the old bike, thought I would like try something with more backseep but wasn't sure of the more extreme backsweep of the Jones so got these Instead. Brilliant! The wrist/forearm are in a straight line now, so I don't think I'll get the finger numbness of the conventional bars. They (for some reason) dont feel anywhere as wide as 800mm (and I'm only a wee guy).

Note of caution for any would be buyer though, because of the forward/backward sweep I don't think it would be possible to cut them narrower than about 700mm and still leave room for the controls.

Still brilliant bars though, now, if they had a loop out front :grin:
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

PeterC wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:20 pm Still brilliant bars though, now, if they had a loop out front :grin:
I wonder if one could bolt on one of those old school DH braces? No good for holding, but could help with attaching luggage.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

I ordered some of these this week and had my first go with them today. At £27 from one of the German websites they were worth a punt.

I've never got on with swept back bars before and tried pretty much everything from Jones Loops to Surly Molokos, OnOne Fleegles and OGs. They were all either swept back too much for me, giving me wrist pain or numbs hands and leaving me struggling with turning in tight stuff as the end of the bar came too close to my hips ... at least that's what it felt like. Mostly they were just too narrow.

Not these puppies. They are all of 800mm wide but they don't feel it on the trail, which is very strange indeed. My trail bike has 780mm bars and they feel wider than the Kyotes. I was out for just over two hours and they simply felt right from the start. I tried a few angles and ended up with them tilted back a few degrees.

I've stuck some cheap ergo grips on them which gave a nice platform for the heals of my hands which really do fall naturally to the sweep of the things.

I also fitted my bar harness too to check them in "real world" conditions. My harness straps to an accessory bar underneath the stem, rather than to the handlebars, to clear the brake cables. All fit fine, though the angle of the bars at the point you attach your brakes did mean some bends in the cables I'd rather not have, so I will fit some longer cables when time comes to bleed them.

All up, pretty happy with them and rather surprised to be saying that given my history with swept back bars. :-bd :-bd

I'm just going outside ...