Bikepacking Food & Snacks

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

lune ranger

Re: Bikepacking Food & Snacks

Post by lune ranger »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:01 am Fried spam butties are also very special but a largish stove will be required to make them :-bd
:-bd That’s like the tins of bacon grill you used to get in compo rations. A particular favourite of mine along with the apple and apricot flakes.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

For anyone who has not read it see https://bikepacking.com/plog/bikepackin ... packing-1/
There is a follow on -2. Avocado really?

Back in the real world - Mini Pork Pies, Sandwich cheese slices and ham - slice of ham slice of cheese roll them together and chew away.
For a real treat a Coronation Chicken sandwich or Hummus and Falafel Wrap half when I stop for the night and half for breakfast.
For bulk John West Creations. Last one I remember eating was at the picnic tables overlooking Elan dam in the mid October sunshine. Its true.

Peanut butter and honey.
Some fifty years ago I spent a week on Erraid living on kale and we were waiting for the ferry off Mull when someone handed me a peanut butter and honey sandwich. Twas love at first bite but still prefer Coronation Chicken.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

These days I avoid too much sweet gooey stuff on a ride as it gives me gut ache. I tend to eat a cheese, tomato and branston roll, mini pork pies or a Stevens steak Bridie (not available outside Fife, sadly) scone with butter and jam, fruit flap jack with a snickers for emergencies. This may not be the most nutritious or calorie dense of foods but I don't care, I like to stop somewhere with a good view and eat some nice food and drink a cup of tea. :-bd
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

I am a big fan of halloumi for post-ride food. It is really good fried. You can eat it 'raw' in an emergency as it's just cheese. Nice dense stuff that fills you up, tastes really good, travels well and packs a protein punch. We have it with spicy prawn noodles (from lidl) and mange-tout, as they cook really well shoved down the side of the noodles in the mug. I know it all sounds very middle class, but these poshies are onto something I reckon.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

On a mission to find an ultra savoury antidote to the sweet stuff that makes for an easy mid ride energy boost I discovered wasabi peas (wasabi flavoured dried peas) which are great if you like things a little spicy (or if you have blocked sinuses :lol: ). They're available in our local CoOp along with chorizo flavoured corn nuts and other weird but intriguing dried savoury snacks to fit in a gas tank with all the sweet stuff. :-bd
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Ainsley Harriots Cous cous and decanted pot noodle for a hot dinner. A whole Mattesons sausage dipped in philly for a cold one.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Hmm. I've yet to dip my sausage on a bikepacking trip. I should maybe add it to my bucket list.
Tonto

Post by Tonto »

+1 on the Ainsley cous cous.
Followed by as much Swiss roll as I can manage.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I pretty much munch continously on bikepacking trips. I normally raid Aldi and stock up on raw bars, trail mix or jerky and then top up during the trip with whatever I can grab from a shop - bananas and mini pork pies seem to be available in every shop, babybel if I can get it. I normally carry one dried meal and an ainsley harriot couscous as backup food if no pub is going be available.
faustus

Post by faustus »

As a trail mix, i've used a mix of salted caramel M&Ms and roasted almonds. Nice to munch from a feed bag in small quantities; quite salty, quite sweet, pretty nice.

Never thought of taking Halloumi, but it's a good shout and I love the stuff! :-bd
Laurensdad

Post by Laurensdad »

Consumed many mini Lidl peperami and Babybel in france last summer. In the heat of the summer I find it more palatable than sweet options and the saltiness gets me drinking plenty too. Theres always time for croissant and coffee for 2nd breakfast tho!

P
@philg1971 Instagram
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I should maybe add it to my bucket list
Top Tip - Its better to do this in summer than winter :-bd

there is not much calories in cous cous and its only useful feature is that you can still " cook" it with cold water - though it takes a while to not be crunchy.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

My favorite dinner is:-

Ainsley Harriott Cous Cous, Spice Sensation, 356 kcal per pack
Super noodles (smashed up and without the sauce sachet) 498 kcal per pack
Ainsley Harriott Cup Soup, Szechuan Hot & Sour, 70 kcal

The whole lot is mixed up in a suitable bag (pour and store or similar) and I just add boiling water, stir and wait.
That lot comes to 924 kcal and if bought when on special at the supermarket you can get the cost down to less than £1 a portion. It's so tasty I've even been to known to have it at home when I'm on my own and photograph it :lol:

When riding during the day I'll eat just about anything I can get hold off. I'll make bagels and if squashed flat they will fit in a jersey pocket :smile:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Raggedstone

Post by Raggedstone »

That sounds good Sean how much water is required for this culinary cocktail ?
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Raggedstone wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:17 pm That sounds good Sean how much water is required for this culinary cocktail ?
I can't remember off hand, but I can look it up. I get the details off the packets and write the amount of water on the bag I cook it in.

I should have an old bag in the shed as it's been washed up and recycled - it has the pivot hardware off the new frame in it so it doesn't get lost whilst the frame is restored. I'll have a look and post up tonight.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Raggedstone wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:17 pm That sounds good Sean how much water is required for this culinary cocktail ?
400ml according to the packets. You can go over this and it just makes it runnier. If you use less the cous cous absorbs more than the noodles and they come out crunchy. Fortunately 400ml is a ti mug full :smile:
Raggedstone

Post by Raggedstone »

Thanks Sean that's Saturday nights winter event meal sorted if I don't end up at a pub .
Looking at the forecasts 400ml should be easily achievable :smile:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Interesting Sean, I was surprised by the number of calories in that concoction. Useful.

This weekend I'll just be taking my usual nuts/driedfruit/choc mix, some FJ bought from Mr Humphreys, and peanut protein bars.

Heard a rumour that someone has started up a fresh doughnuts stall at the Hengwm river crossing so I'll probably check out what's on offer there. Hopefully they'll have plain sugared ones not just those with garish toppings; like good vanilla ice-cream it's the professional's choice.
Last edited by RIP on Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
windjammer

Post by windjammer »

just made my snacks for the weekend,got cheese slices and salami layerd alternatly and stacked together in zip lock bags,cashew nuts,85 percent dark chocolate
composite

Post by composite »

For bivi breakfasts, I used to put a massive serving of Ready Break in a ziplock bag along with powdered milk. All you need to do in the morning is heat some water and pour it into the bag. Add dried fruit to your taste.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Mustn't forget our greens, people. In my case it'd probably be a piece of 4 week old bread in the bottom of my seatpack.

Could maybe grow some cress or something in a sort of windowbox contraption on the bars/toptube.

Amazed nobody's mentioned prunes after consuming all the aforementioned dodgy foodstuffs. Can't stand the bloody things myself but there we go.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

composite wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:27 pm For bivi breakfasts, I used to put a massive serving of Ready Break in a ziplock bag along with powdered milk. All you need to do in the morning is heat some water and pour it into the bag. Add dried fruit to your taste.
Barf!

Sorry - Ready Brek has the consistency of wallpaper paste.

I make up my own "adventure" porridge

Porridge - 60g / 226 kcal
nuts - 20g / 131 kcal
fruit - 40g / 120 kcal
dried milk - 15g / 50 kcal

Totals 135g / 527 kcal

I whizz it all in a blender (breaks up the oats and makes them quicker to rehydrate). Then stick it in a ziplock/P&S bag, then just add hot water as required and squeeze it round for a while, stick the whole bag in a cosy until ready.
composite

Post by composite »

ScotRoutes wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:31 am
Barf!

Sorry - Ready Brek has the consistency of wallpaper paste.
Just had bowl not 5 minutes ago. It was lovely. :-P :grin:
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Sultanas are also good for 'keeping you regular' in a less dramatic fashion than prunes - useful when finding a suitable location and digging a hole can take time.

When we do long trips an essential food we carry is digestive biscuits - not the chocolate ones though. They are great dipped in your coffee for breakfast and work well as an energy snack while out riding as they have salt and not too much sugar (no sugar crash after). They are also good as a savory base for lunch ie with cheese on top and the bran in them helps with aforementioned digestion. They are also fairly easy to find, even in little shops or foreign lands.

Finally they are tasty but not that nice, which means my boy won't scoff them all when I am not looking.
38thfoot

Post by 38thfoot »

Can’t believe no ones mentioned malt loaf; either as is or made into strawberry jam sandwiches.