Cane Creek Thudbuster ST or Titanium Seatpost?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

JohnClimber

Cane Creek Thudbuster ST or Titanium Seatpost?

Post by JohnClimber »

Advise please.

My original Ti seat post bolt clamp has died after many happy years under my arse on several bike and it died on my fat bike.
The company who made it is no more so I need a new seat post.

I've found the Ti very comfortable and in the past Thompson's a bit harsher, I don't trust carbon seat posts down there :oops:

But do you think for about the same money as a new Ti 31.6mm seatpost I'd like a Cane Creek Thudbuster ST Seatpost instead?

Have you used Cane Creek Thudbuster ST Seatpost's and how do you rate them please?
redefined_cycles

Re: Cane Creek Thudbuster ST or Titanium Seatpost?

Post by redefined_cycles »

John.. Get a Ritchey carbon seatpost.. after your post looking for a ti seatpost I almost made the swap (from my carbon Ritchey). But luckily I noticed this pist and relaised I've already got as much comfort as I'm gonna get. Carbon reallly is pretty comfy (and pretty aswell if you get the correct stuff)...

https://www.cyclingabout.com/seatposts- ... g-comfort/

Dont forget to purchse some carbon paste with it and keep an eye every 6 or 9 months... Mine have all been fine and probably dont check that often
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Wifey has a Thudbuster ST on her ebike and she really likes it. She has Crohns disease so her weight tends to fluctuate quite a bit but I've been able to tune the ST by changing the elastomers in it (which has quite a big effect on performance). It is bit heavy but it's a quality item.
I swapped the seatpost on my Camino Al from an aluminium to carbon version and I have to say it led to a dramatic reduction in the transfer of harsh vibrations from road and trail. I just went for a cheapo BrandX one so it's no lighter than an alloy post but it is reassuringly beefy in it's construction. I bought it for the damping characteristics rather than weight saving so I'm happy with that.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I’ve an eesilk mini thudbuster on the Fargo, 295g and 20mm if travel which makes a surprising difference to comfort.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Have looked at the Suntour suspension seatpost?
Haven't got one and no idea if they are any good.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
redefined_cycles

Shona just tweeted today that they've been testing a new sus post called Shockstop by RedShiftSports... 45mm of adjustable travel it seems...
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:31 am Shona just tweeted today that they've been testing a new sus post called Shockstop by RedShiftSports... 45mm of adjustable travel it seems...
Saw that and I'm talking to her about it, but it's twice the price of the Thud Buster I believe.
I don't have that sort of money at the moment
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

^^ Roughly costs £/gram :o

I have to admit to being a fan of shock posts.
I still use a USE XCR that i’ve had best part of 20 years. When bikepacking was off-road touring and I used a rack and panniers :o :shock: :o it was a permanent fixture on my P7 These days it sees some intermittent use on ITT’s when I’m not carrying a saddle bag as it doesn’t play well with soft bags.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
redefined_cycles

JohnClimber wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:07 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:31 am Shona just tweeted today that they've been testing a new sus post called Shockstop by RedShiftSports... 45mm of adjustable travel it seems...
Saw that and I'm talking to her about it, but it's twice the price of the Thud Buster I believe.
I don't have that sort of money at the moment
John... In that case sir, according to the article I linked to above, carbon is your friend :grin: especially a Ritchey post
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Cheers but I don't trust carbon near my gonads
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

JohnClimber wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:42 pm Cheers but I don't trust carbon near my gonads
I kinda get this but I have a couple of counter arguments/suggestions. One is that most layback seatposts are simply a tube of whatever material bonded to the head that clamps to the seat. The weakpoint is always going to be the bond between the two (whatever materials the tube happens to be made from). The wall thickness on my (cheapo Brand X) seatpost is more than the alloy seatpost that it replaced so I don't expect the tube itself to fail. I do understand that abrasion (from seatpacks etc rubbing) could be an issue though.
My other point is, how many folks trust carbon forks these days? They're not exactly rare on modern bikes and I personally don't know anyone who's had a pair fail in the last five years (no doubt it has happened though). I do remember former Scottish roadie and track rider Graham Herd had a nice scar on his face from a crash involving failed carbon forks when they first came on the scene twenty plus years ago though (he used to come in my LBS sometimes)!
As I said, I do get the worry about carbon posts failing though and it is something I considered before buying my seatpost. You pays yer money etc..........
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

JohnClimber wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:42 pm Cheers but I don't trust carbon near my gonads
But Ti pipes out of old Russian nuke subs.... :grin:
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

BigdummySteve wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:31 am I’ve an eesilk mini thudbuster on the Fargo, 295g and 20mm if travel which makes a surprising difference to comfort.
Looks interesting Steve... how long have you had that running? Still no issues mechanically?

Did you set you seat height mid travel or does it not compress much on smoother surfaces?

Cheers, Mark
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Had it just under a year, it’s been great. No real change in seat height it just takes the edge off ( it’s only 20mm max travel)
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

Cheers Steve