Pitlochry/ Blair athol advice

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ootini

Pitlochry/ Blair athol advice

Post by ootini »

Looking at a week in Scotland around May/June and the Mrs likes the look of Pitlochry. Is there much in the way of family friendly cycling up there?
We'll have a 6 year old who's a pretty competent rider for his age on his Hoy Bonnaly, the Mrs is on a hardtail and I'll probably take my Arkose.
fatbikephil

Re: Pitlochry/ Blair athol advice

Post by fatbikephil »

Riverside trail from Pitlochry up to Killiecrankie is a good one and you can loop back via the west side of the river / loch tummel.
Rob roy way over to Strathtay is an easy there and back (stick to the doubletrack on the south side)
From dunkeld there is a network of tracks to the north up towards Loch Ordie. Craigvinean forest has some easier doubletrack (and some rad DH stuff).
From Blair Atholl you can have a wander up Glen tilt to forest lodge and back for some proper mountain scenery as well as various other easy double tracks around Atholl estate
ootini

Post by ootini »

htrider wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:31 pm Riverside trail from Pitlochry up to Killiecrankie is a good one and you can loop back via the west side of the river / loch tummel.
Rob roy way over to Strathtay is an easy there and back (stick to the doubletrack on the south side)
From dunkeld there is a network of tracks to the north up towards Loch Ordie. Craigvinean forest has some easier doubletrack (and some rad DH stuff).
From Blair Atholl you can have a wander up Glen tilt to forest lodge and back for some proper mountain scenery as well as various other easy double tracks around Atholl estate
Brilliant. Thanks very much. I'll see if I can find some maps / gpx files
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

The Glen Banvie trail at Blair Atholl is a lovely wee circuit and you can add a small detour to the Falls of Bruar. FWIW I prefer it clockwise. That gives a harder climb but a longer descent.

From Calvine you get on to NCN7 which uses bits of the old A9 to get you north. Some lovely falls in the adjacent River Garry.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Now... I am prepared to be roundly set upon but I have been to Pitlochry once and I certainly wouldn't take my family there. We were only trying to find a few beers and some food (two blokes) but I was offered a fight twice before 6pm.

Hopefully I was unlucky.
ootini

Post by ootini »

FLV wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:02 am Now... I am prepared to be roundly set upon but I have been to Pitlochry once and I certainly wouldn't take my family there. We were only trying to find a few beers and some food (two blokes) but I was offered a fight twice before 6pm.

Hopefully I was unlucky.
Bloody hell. I've been to Scotland a few times and never had any trouble, but usually west coast, Oban, Mull etc
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

FLV wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:02 am ....I was offered a fight twice before 6pm.

Where you wearing an England rugby top?
:lol:
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 4

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

FLV wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:02 am Now... I am prepared to be roundly set upon but I have been to Pitlochry once and I certainly wouldn't take my family there. We were only trying to find a few beers and some food (two blokes) but I was offered a fight twice before 6pm.

Hopefully I was unlucky.
I've been to Pitlochry loads of times. With and without children. I've never once set them upon two unsuspecting tourists. Well, not without good reason. Well, any reason.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Happy to hear that it seems i was just unlucky then :-bd
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Have enjoyed a few visits to Pitlochry most recently last May. Nice cycling and a nice walk up the hill to a distillery.

FLV - it must just be you, take it personally!
FLV

Post by FLV »

I will :grin:

Im actually really glad to hear it seems to be a one off. Ive harboured poor feeling towards the place but it seems i should put that behind me.
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

Another one that’s never had any bother in Pitlochry.

I think you was unlucky there.