New water bottles

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

jaminb

New water bottles

Post by jaminb »

My plastic water bottles are looking decidedly ropey. I was thinking of upgrading to aluminium or even titanium - any recommendations? I would prefer a lid that I can drink from whilst riding but it seems that all sports tops are plastic so happy with a screw top or possible both options.

I may be having a senior moment but I am sure Stu did a review on a water bottle that doubled up as stove pot but my search skills have failed me.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: New water bottles

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Klean Kanteen stainless bottles. Mine has a screw top but they also do a 'sports top' you can drink from. They're not coated inside so you can put them on a stove too. No smell or taste with them and it should last as long as you do.

https://www.outdoorgb.com/c/drinking/?q ... b=1526&bc=
May the bridges you burn light your way
jaminb

Post by jaminb »

Cheers stu did I imagine you did a review ? Does yours fit in a standard bottle cage ?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I don't think I did but I did mention somewhere about using one as a pot. Standard cage - yes, no problems at all and I'm assuming mine's the 800ml one.
petemaz

Post by petemaz »

I'm thinking you could also use a KK as a hot water bottle over winter?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm thinking you could also use a KK as a hot water bottle over winter?
Yep.

Regarding the bottles - an obvious point but worth mentioning. Make sure you don't buy the insulated / double wall version if you plan to use it for anything besides drinking from :wink:
jaminb

Post by jaminb »

cheers Stu happy new year to you and Dee

ben
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

A recycled mineral water bottle is a good choice, sports cap keeps crud out and weighs sod all :-bd
Crap for boiling water though. I use a 400ml ti mug for that which lives in the same stem cell which the bottle occupies, the added bonus is that it makes bottle extraction easier, the mug lid is at the bottom of the stem cell under the mug.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

jaminb wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:16 pm Cheers stu did I imagine you did a review ? Does yours fit in a standard bottle cage ?
Up to 27oz/800ml they do. 40oz/1200ml are too wide. However the short/wide shape means they go well under the down tube in an Anything Cage type carrier.
If you are using one as a boiling vessel I recommend the wide neck type. With those you can easily grab the opening with a pot grabber like Trangia or MSR make. The light weight ones MSR do for Titan pans are ideal. The shape of the bottle means they boil much better in an open fire (leave no trace/land owner permission etc) than on a stove. You can get a nifty insert for the Folding Firebox that supports the bottle deep into the fire but as the Firebox weighs about kilo by itself it isn’t ideal for most bikepacking.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

This is all getting very complicated so thought I'd throw in my suggestion.

First a bit of history (on my water bottle past :-bd ). Never used the KK or any other metal ones even though the thought of using for cooking does appeal as I could do with warm water at times for certain things (like, ahem, I hope no-ones listening, but ablution for prayers which makes life alot happier when its nice warm water)...

So the bottles I've been through are various Elite, Camelbak, SIS and some other cheaper stuff. After having the last camelbaks last around 3 or 4 years without going stinky, cos of careful use without dilutes, they finally did (go stinky). Went for another set of Camelbaks but after only a few months, felt as though they were gutters. Maybe they've (Camelbak) gotten sick of not getting repeat custom from those that's bought em less than 3 years ago and now, building in the obsolescence factor (like Apple and Samsung and apparently Next clothing which is now made to last only 3 years)...

Sob story over, I chucked the new (3 months) old camelbak bottles away, and invested in some Alpkit Swig bottles. Been going strong now for well over 7 months and there doesnt appear to be any funny tastes nor smells going about. Best thing of all: they can be had for the handsome sum of a fiver* (or maybe sixer) :grin:

*Obviously, goes without saying, dont try to boil water in em
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I have a collection of plastic bidons going back over 10 years which I still randomly use.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

A recycled mineral water bottle is a good choice, sports cap keeps crud out and weighs sod all :-bd
Crap for boiling water though.
You'd be surprised :wink: https://bearbonesbikepacking.blogspot.c ... an-ti.html
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:34 am
Crap for boiling water though.
You'd be surprised :wink: https://bearbonesbikepacking.blogspot.c ... an-ti.html
I am indeed, if you wanted to take the ultralight dirtbag approach to the limit then a sheet of A4 paper would be the ultimate. You can open beer bottles with it, fold it into containers (and then boil water) and a multitude of other uses :-bd
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark