Grwyne Fawr Bothy

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Escape Goat

Grwyne Fawr Bothy

Post by Escape Goat »

Evening!

Just wondering if anyone has stayed in this interesting little bothy before?

ImageScreenshot_20191229_222542 by Escape Goat, on Flickr
benconnolli

Re: Grwyne Fawr Bothy

Post by benconnolli »

I stayed there a couple of weeks ago. It was snowy on the top so was mainly pushing from the road. Stunning landscape for a walk and the reservoir looked so special for the dusting round the edges.

I arrived about 2pm as I had covered ground much faster than expected. About an hour later I hear a knock and it is a fella who was recreating his stag do from 15 years ago. Three huge rucksacks full of wood and booze later I am having an unexpected night on the lash at the cosiest pub in Wales with a group of ex marines.

Sleeping platform up a ladder had a layer of foam or self inflating mats and accommodated us nicely. The stove is pretty small so you will need to chop your wood accordingly but it had a strong airflow.
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

benconnolli wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:58 am About an hour later I hear a knock and it is a fella who was recreating his stag do from 15 years ago. Three huge rucksacks full of wood and booze later I am having an unexpected night on the lash at the cosiest pub in Wales with a group of ex marines.

That's pretty funny! So I'm guessing it sleeps 4? I love the look of it, would love to get a bothy to myself one night, but a an unexpected booze up would also be benificial hah.
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Escape Goat wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:03 am ....would love to get a bothy to myself one night....
The Arenig Fawr bothy sleeps 2. If you get there before anyone else your bike will take up the 2nd spot so you'll have it exclusively :-bd
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 5

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

summittoppler wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:22 am
Escape Goat wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:03 am ....would love to get a bothy to myself one night....
The Arenig Fawr bothy sleeps 2. If you get there before anyone else your bike will take up the 2nd spot so you'll have it exclusively :-bd

Top tips for a Sunday night!!
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Thing is its small, you may need to sleep with your feet sticking out of the door! :lol:
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 5

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
Chicken Legs

Post by Chicken Legs »

I don't think you will ever have that bothy completely to yourself as a right chubby mouse lives there :roll:
"What is man but the sum of his memories"
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Fairly good chance of getting this one to yourself Allen

Or for those bothies known to be busy, take one of these with you and plonk it outside in a chair - they work as a superb deterrent.

May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

:lol:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:13 pm Fairly good chance of getting this one to yourself Allen

Or for those bothies known to be busy, take one of these with you and plonk it outside in a chair - they work as a superb deterrent.

Cheers Stu, will get hunting. Also sitting outside is the perfect deterrent. One could always bicycle the place up, Home Alone style!