Roam Scotland Rally

Post by restlessshawn »

have we done this ?

https://www.roamscotlandrally.org/?fbc ... SbUf6oNZzw

Sounds good but I have been on the rum :roll: :roll:
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Roam Scotland Rally

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

James did it last year and it does sound good but sadly it starts on the WRT weekend.
May the bridges you burn light your way
thesloth

Post by thesloth »

Two of us rode the Roam Scotland Rally last month.
We were down for the 2020 event (Edinburgh to Inverness), but that did happen ...for obvious reasons.
Then signed up for the 2021 West Coast and Islands. The was supposed to happen in May, but didn't ...for obvious reasons.

So Rumps & I armed with the gpx, decided to make it so.

A great route. A fair bit on the road (ever so smooth, ever so quiet roads), but enough off road to keep us very happy.
Also enough off road to keep us off our bikes, on our feet and pushing.
Some proper wilderness up there. No roads, no houses, no paths & no people ...& mercifully at that time of year no midges!

Highly recommended!

Some photos:
https://flic.kr/s/aHsmWSuU9H
Rumps

Post by Rumps »

It really is a great route. Glens Kinglass and Loy would both meet Norm’s BB routing requirements. The Sloth and I are both riding the November version of BB if anyone wanted to discuss after seeing the photos.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

A nice idea that with some old favourites on the route. But two sections of trunk road (one a dual carriageway) within 20 miles of my house; both with back road or cycleway alternatives - I wish these guys would do a bit more route research....
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Gotta love stone circles and caves all in one trip :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
Rumps

Post by Rumps »

fatbikephil wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:37 pm A nice idea that with some old favourites on the route. But two sections of trunk road (one a dual carriageway) within 20 miles of my house; both with back road or cycleway alternatives - I wish these guys would do a bit more route research....
If this was on the route from Oban to Dunoon that was our bad. We had to ride back as there were no trains from Oban that weekend. We just took a very simple , direct route to get us to Dunoon to take the ferry and then train to Glasgow.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Rumps wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:15 pm
fatbikephil wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:37 pm A nice idea that with some old favourites on the route. But two sections of trunk road (one a dual carriageway) within 20 miles of my house; both with back road or cycleway alternatives - I wish these guys would do a bit more route research....
If this was on the route from Oban to Dunoon that was our bad. We had to ride back as there were no trains from Oban that weekend. We just took a very simple , direct route to get us to Dunoon to take the ferry and then train to Glasgow.
I was looking at the A985 in Fife and the A90 near Perth. The route could use NCN 1 from the Forth Road bridge north to Kinross to miss the A985 out and there is a back road alternative to the A90 by heading north from Dunning. I'm an compulsive route tinkerer so I can't help myself tweaking other peoples routes if they cross areas I know well!
jameso

Post by jameso »

Odd that they missed a back road and routed on an A-road, I know the guys behind RSR spend a lot of time out on route recces. The 1st RSR Ben and I rode with ~30 others was really good, enjoyed every bit of it.

Edit - just made a profile connection, waves at Sloth and Rumps :-bd
thesloth

Post by thesloth »

jameso wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:45 pm Edit - just made a profile connection, waves at Sloth and Rumps :-bd
Ahoy James!