My Big Camera And Its Future

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Escape Goat

My Big Camera And Its Future

Post by Escape Goat »

Hey all.

Looks like most of you had a good Christmas, here in the Goat household we keep it to a miminum and ended up on a family holiday to the lakes.

I had time to bothy hunt, cycle, eat and watch Its a Wonderful Life in the old cinema in Keswick. Was ace.

Reason I'm telling you this is I took my Fuji XT2 which I bought last year. Its been to the Highlands in November, Edinburgh in Jan and FINALLY took it out again in December. Taking a picture in the lakes isn't hard, it's too nice but I didn't even bother to take the XT2 camera out of its bag.

My pictures only end up on social media or on here, so there's not really much bigger work being printed or displayed.

I've actually have bought a canvas print, but it was one I took with my phone, quickly too.

Shutter count has to be less than 1000 and if I'm anywhere interesting I'm usually on my bike... So out comes the mobile.

I can never be bothered going out to take pictures, but when I'm out, I take lots.

What are peoples thoughts? Thinking on selling the lot. I sold a 7d with 24-105 lens and thought I needed to replace it a few years later. So along came the camera, and the phone.

Pictures from a P30 Pro phone.

ImageIMG_20191224_192428-01 by Escape Goat, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20191226_101831-01 by Escape Goat, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20191221_202022-01 by Escape Goat, on Flickr
Last edited by Escape Goat on Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boab

Re: Big Camera And Its Future

Post by Boab »

I'm currently sorting though one of my four boxes of camera equipment; I've found black and white fibre paper so old it's discoloured in the lightproof storage box. :shock: I decided that I couldn't be arsed to lug a large 35mm film camera and all the trimmings around on a bike, so bought a compact Nikon P6000, back when I used to cycle commute in the mid naughties. It didn't get much use to be honest, then I dropped it and it wasn't worth repairing.

Cameras on phones have improved massively in the meantime, so I decided to give Moment lenses a go, to see what they were like. Although really nicely made, they are very expensive for what they are; I certainly feel a bit of hipster tax was paid. Plus I've not been able to reproduce the quality that you see on their website, I'm not sure if it's just bullshit claims, a bad lens, or a bad phone case; I keep meaning to do a proper sharpness test. I've taken some nice photos with them though, and some utter dross.

Those, or one of the other lens systems for your phone, might give you what you want, at the expense of some features you're used to.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
thenorthwind

Re: My Big Camera And Its Future

Post by thenorthwind »

I've always been one for dragging the big camera with me everywhere. Sometimes I regret it, but more often than not I'm glad I've brought it. I admit it's a lot more marginal now even my fairly old smartphone has a very good camera.

Previously the big camera was an entry-level DSLR, but last year I bought a mirrorless camera, which now makes the small SLR look stupidly big, but still weighs something like 600g with a kit lens.

When I bought the mirrorless, I also bought a Peak Designs Capture Clip, which holds the camera on a quick release clip on a rucksack strap (or wherever else you care to affix it), and it's the best bit of photography kit, and possibly even biking kit, I've ever bought. My point is, the camera is only useful if it's accessible, and with this I can be ready to shoot in a couple of seconds, with one hand - you might find you get more use out of yours if you have the same setup. They're expensive for what they are, but nicely designed and made, solid and robust. No I don't work for them! I do also have their Rain shell which works great with the clip - I've ridden in some horrible conditions with just that protecting my camera.
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Yeah, I've seen them, they look good - I just wonder if I would ever be actually bothered to take it out. Perfect opportunities arose a fair few times, which I took my camera phone out...petrified of putting it on my back and falling off the bike...

I'll think...
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

The trick is to go out and take photos. Not worry about what you're taking them with. In the end, very few people will actually care.

If you want to print the images, and actually care about the resolution, take the camera and create the images you want. If you just want to splurt them on SM, take the phone.

FWIW, I rarely take a camera (or phone) out with me on bike rides. When I do it is generally a RX100, usually as I've an idea for an area I want to come back to at a later stage, or I'm reccying a fell race that I want to shoot. If I'm working an a7 with a few manual Canon prime lenses is my go to..

Again, it's not about what you're carrying - it's about what you want from the resulting image.
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

GregMay wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:27 pm

Again, it's not about what you're carrying - it's about what you want from the resulting image.

I like that mate. Thank you.