Ethical and Environmental Options

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Boab

Re: Ethical and Environmental Options

Post by Boab »

Thanks for all the replies, plenty to think about. I'm assuming it's Restrap, not Repack that I should look into...? I'd not heard of Restap before, I like the look of their stuff. I have sent a few emails to folks, so shall wait to see what replies I get. In the meantime, I'm sure my first BAM can be accomplished with a rucsac and my existing 25+ year old Rab sleeping bag and Thermarest.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
jameso

Post by jameso »

TBH it's a rather impossible question:
Seems almost that yes, hence my Q. There's plenty of info on cars/driving CO2 output but not so much on manufacturing of goods, 500lbs / 225kg for an average $250 FOB cost bike I think I read, so yes, very much between 75 and 500kg as TINAT says. Just wondered if there was anything more on the topic, personal interest. Interesting that Madison is mentioned.. I remember thinking at one point there how stupid it seemed to be sending Reynolds tubes to Asia to be welded up and sent back as part of a bike. These days I don't think I'd do it to start with, back then it got a brand going.

Second hand stuff is always a good answer, perhaps it'll encourage more consumption from the seller but consumers will either always be consumers or they will only churn product until they figure out what works. I'm finding far more satisfaction in long-term product ownership these days. Material commitments and bike-life partners :grin:
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I’ve always had in interest in environmental issues, I read ‘Hot House Earth’ way back in 1990 and completed 2 years of an environmental science degree.

My take on it is buy the best quality item you can and research it well, for instance a carridice saddle bag will still be around after you are gone.
Whatever you buy comes with some impact so buy it once and hopefully over years the total impact is low.

If you use your bike for practical reasons such as shopping and shorter trips you’re already hugely in credit compared to car drivers, especially the ones who even drive a mile to pick up a paper.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
RIP

Post by RIP »

"drive a mile to pick up a paper" - don't set me off again Steve, please... </rant>
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Cyclepeasant

Post by Cyclepeasant »

"Drive a mile to pick up a paper"
That's green compared to some of my neighbour's!!
A few live 200-300mtrs from the Esso station,and they still start their cars to pick up a paper or pint of milk each morning...😤😠🤯....it used to make me :lol: but it's not funny really!
Insanity over vanity
techno

Post by techno »

there are also recycled options:
https://www.beerbabe.co.uk/ourshop/cat_ ... ducts.html

not too focused on bikepacking but: https://upsobags.co.uk/

https://www.ovejanegrabikepacking.com/c ... ited-color

I'm sure there's more out there too.
Boab

Post by Boab »

So Restrap got back to me:
Unfortunately we have no plans at this moment in time to use Cordura Eco at the moment. We are always in the process of experimenting with and trying new materials, so keep an eye out over the year as we do experiment with new materials and processes with our products.
Last edited by Boab on Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Boab

Post by Boab »

Straight Cut have got back to me too:
Currently, we do not have plans in the foreseeable future to be offering the Eco range from Corudra.

Our saddlebags are currently in re-development over the festive season and should be available soon.