Glasgow bikepacking shops?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

MarkP

Glasgow bikepacking shops?

Post by MarkP »

Morning all,

I think I know the answer to this (and it's not good) but wanted to make sure I'm not forgetting anywhere.

I'm very new to bike packing so still needing to pick up some kit (you know, minor things like somewhere to put your clothes, food and everything else you might need) before doing the Badger Divide in May. I've been doing a lot of hunting/reading online, but it would be really nice to actually be able to look at some kit in the flesh! Is there anywhere at all near Glasgow that has a half-decent selection, of things like seat packs, to look at?

Thanks,
Mark
ScotRoutes

Re: Glasgow bikepacking shops?

Post by ScotRoutes »

Very much doubt it. Most shops will only sell one, maybe two brands. Even then, some of the good kit is only available direct. You'd see much more variety just turning up at an event.

Tiso were selling some Altura stuff in the Aviemore branch so that might be available local to you too. FWIW, I didn't like the retention/closure system on the seatpacks.

My advice would be to take a trip to Aviemore and visit Andy at backcountry.scot. I'd have thought that there might be somewhere in/around the Lake District too.

Failing that, find out who on here is local to you and ask if they'll show you theirs. I'd be happy to help if you make it up this way.
Teetosugars

Post by Teetosugars »

I'd have thought that there might be somewhere in/around the Lake District too.
Ghylside In Ambleside sell a fair bit of kit, but I'd head further south to see Rich and Shona in Manchester..

Or, as Colin said, further north to Avimore..
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

Yeah I figured a sizeable drive North or South would be handy! Not going to be able to do that anytime soon though.

Shame the Lomo bag doesn't seem to be too great as I drive straight past them on the way home.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Lomo might not be the worst option:

https://bearbonesbikepacking.blogspot.c ... q=Lomo&m=1
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Evans Cycles often have some bags in but it might vary store by store. I've seen Topeak bikepacking bags in one of our LBSs so that might be an option.

The smaller companies tend to be internet/mail order only so other than collaring someone you see riding past with one of their bags you aren't going to get a look at them.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I have the Lomo frame bag. It's great, but one size fits all.

The Lomo seatpack is actually OK, just needs to be well packed (a common issue). It doesn't like being half full and could really do with some sort of internal stiffener where the saddle straps are to stop the load in splitting in two, though carrying tent poles in it does the same job.
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

Yeah it was the "must be full" comments that are making me doubt it. First trip out will be 2 nights but taking the soft approach and using B&Bs, so questionable if it'd be the right size for the job. OTOH I'm not exactly expecting to get it right first time anyway

Got a big Evans/TriUK nearby now, they definitely have some Topeak stuff. Probably a fairly safe choice if it came down to it
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Yeah it was the "must be full" comments that are making me doubt it. First trip out will be 2 nights but taking the soft approach and using B&Bs, so questionable if it'd be the right size for the job. OTOH I'm not exactly expecting to get it right first time anyway
As Colin says, it's a fairly common issue across the board and in my experience some of the worst culprits are the most expensive. The Lomo isn't bad really because it's a reasonable capacity and not too big. Something like an insulated jacket stuffed in (no stuff sack) will expand and take up as much or as little room as available.
May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Drifting away slightly from the subject matter.

There's two "styles" of seat pack: the all-in-one pack and harness; the separate harness and dry bag. This is one of those preference things so there's no "correct" answer, just a set of opinions that we use to justify whatever we've purchased.

I prefer the separate harness and dry bag for the following reasons.
  • You can fit (within reason) the correct sized dry bag for what you wish to carry.
  • It's easier to pack and unpack off the bike then mount into the harness.
  • If the dry bag gets damaged it's a lot cheaper to replace than the all-in-one style.
Other opinions are available of course.

One option not mentioned so far is simply getting a tapered dry bag such as those from Alpkit and strapping it directly to the saddle. Not expensive, you can figure out what is and isn't suitable to ride with in a seat pack, and once you do buy a seat pack or harness you already have a dry bag.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Alan63

Post by Alan63 »

I have picked up a couple of Apidura bike bags from Bilslands down in the Saltmarket. Good shop run by great people.
BaM 2021
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

On a general point, is it fair to assume that Apidura have resolved their quality problems now? Having seen some of the poor show they were first shipping I've been loathe to recommend any if their kit. I'd regularly see bags worn through, or with broken zips after one (albeit 1,000 mile) trip. They certainly "won" on the marketing front by giving away lots of kit to the blogger baggers early on.
ripio

Post by ripio »

Dales in Dobbies Loan sell some of the Specialized and Blackburn bags, not sure of current stock of course.
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

That’s very interesting, those are two bags that have caught my eye for different reasons. I wonder if they’ll put them in their sale.....?
ripio

Post by ripio »

I have the Blackburn Outpost seatpack, and have found it to be pretty good.
I got mine on ebay though, so didn't pay full price.
holdsteady

Post by holdsteady »

The highly rated stuff will be a substantial outlay to start with so maybe buy some of the planetx podsacs range to start with (watch out for bundle offers) and if you catch the bug then gradually upgrade and keep this as spares or to lend to others.
drjon

Post by drjon »

definitely check Andy toop at backcountry.scot if you are nearby there,,,, there's Straight Cut nr Edinburgh too...
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

Well in the interest of completeness this is where I’ve ended up, with not a shop visited in the end :roll: Will see how it all works out!

drjon

Post by drjon »

needs a DeWidget, then you're done ;-)~
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

After the first test ride you’re probably right, top tube bag doesn’t seem great. No idea how I’d make the widget work with the 1 big strap though?
drjon

Post by drjon »

is the velcro through a daisy chain of webbing or sewn in?

the best way usually is to get a bit of double sided velcro (really useful stuff) make a small loop of 2cm wide stuff and velcro that into the original strap for the steerer.

John climber put a great video up that shows it in motion...

https://youtu.be/5i5q0m3ZgGk

also see my blog...

https://drj0nswanderings.wordpress.com/ ... -dewidget/

MarkP

Post by MarkP »

urgh that video is frustrating! Alpkit have changed from a daisychain to a sewn in band! Will need to have a think about how it can work. One other thing I’ve read is just to form some plastic to put inside, might be a quick and easy solution to start with

Edit: thought I was going mad as I was slightly surprised by the lack of daisychain when it arrived. Just found the bikepacking.com review that I read before ordering at that had a daisychain too :sad:
drjon

Post by drjon »

thats a shame....daisy chain is really useful, if an extra manufacturing step....

let me know if I can help. tbh, its very easy to sew in a lateral bit of webbing - any repair or stitching shop could do it and then you are golden...
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

Cheers. I was thinking about just heading to an alterations place to have a quick chat. One little horizontal loop of fabric and then another loop of velcro and it'd be sorted.

Cost saving does seem like the only reason for the change. They now talking about trimming the velcro at the front to suit, but it's not like you can ever add material again
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I've actually sewn mine onto my toptube bag for the ultimate in stability :smile:

Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger