Dam Busters.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

RIP

Re: Dam Busters.

Post by RIP »

Top effort with that toilet block!

Yes the Star labrador was very cute but (s)he really didn't take kindly to my outfit at all.

What an insane couple of days. BIG compliments to those who stuck it out to the bitter and sordid end. I thought our little group was pretty rock-hard and certifiable but hearing other stories put us in the shade.

Seems like TrepidExplorer takes the distance prize, and Mike reaching Tregaron is pretty bonkers.

Having lost half our group of six before we'd even started, Pickers, BDS and meself decided we'd just steam straight up the road to Foel Fadian then attempt the crossing to Nantymoch. Lunacy! Bizarrely we bumped into JC and Sam about ten times en route either in their van or on bikes or on foot and in both directions. It all looked very complicated.

We picked up FrogAtTheFarriers at Fadian, and JC and Sam caught us up too. Turning south the rain and wind was horrendous on the totally exposed plateau - just like a giant holding their hand against you stopping you moving. Round past Bugeilyn and dropping down into Mynydd Bychan, Frog decided to pitch in with us on our stupid route round to Anglers Retreat and the east side of Nantymoch. Again this was seriously exposed and quite daunting.

We finally made it to Ponterwyd, picked up some pies etc at the filling station, then ducked into the George Borrow for a dodgy pint and work out what the hell to do next. (cont'd...
Last edited by RIP on Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Made it to 1 grid ref into that rain and rain from hell

Before retreating back to the Star Inn with a fantastic tail wind before we re grouped and going off to find a sheltered place for the night followed by an early breakfast back at Llanbrynmair

Thanks Stuart for a great event.

Please can we have the Winter event in July next year? :roll:
RIP

Post by RIP »

... cont'd) Peter S and Kev were already esconced next to the fire looking very cosy. We had a pint and some food, but I was acutely aware of what I later found out was Stu's "20 Minute Rule" - if you don't get out within that time you'll never do it and it'll be roger-and-out, time for an early bath etc. At this point Peter and Kev casually mentioned they'd booked rooms! It took about 10 seconds for Pickers to follow suit as he was feeling a bit under the weather, and wavering was starting elsewhere too :smile: . TrepidExplorer then arrived with her tales of daring-do - and plans of more to come, so I didn't want to Be Soft.

We had to get out before we succumbed. Outside it was now only 'raining' too. Like everyone else we assumed the bothies and birdhides would be jammed to the rafters (turned out they weren't as the rest of you presumably thought the same!). After our original Devils Bridge plan, we decided to just wing it (madness in these conditions) and thought we'd try a desperate search round NantyrArian (anybody kip there?). Kev mentioned he'd looked on Gmaps and seen a dodgy shed up a sideroad nearby but that'd been 100 years ago. A long shot. Out we went but in the previous 5 minutes the rain had turned into a total deluge. It was like having a swimming pool emptied over you and my eyes were stinging from the pebble-like raindrops. Arrrg! But we Had To Do It and Failure Was Not An Option.

We made the turn and headed up the hill. Through the sheeting rain I saw an old croft or barn or something - not Kev's shed but in we went. No padlock thank gawd - entering but not breaking :wink: .

Well as often happens for Boners our dedication was repaid - two rooms, brand new roof, although we had to spend ages shifting loads of junk off the floor. Steve found another room next door - with even a bed! well alright a big sheet of wood - so we had a penthouse each with ensuite water from the overflowing gutters. One of the best kips I've ever had!

20200111_200234 by Reg - Flickr2BBcode LITE

20200112_082441 by Reg - Flickr2BBcode LITE

Up at 7.30 we decided to bail down to Aber for a train to Mach (all in the Rules!). I guessed there'd be one at 9.30 but it's only 2 bikes per train. In the end Frog needed more faff time so BDS and self blasted (well, tottered into the wind) down the A44 and made the train with literally 60 seconds to spare. No idea when Frog or Pickers would make it, we piled into the cafe at Mach leaving the bikes outside as a 'flag' in case they tried to find us. As it turned out, Frog managed the 10.30 and Pickers the 11.30 so we were re-united by some fluke!

It was good to bump into Mr Trepid outside the cafe - quite a surprise, but he'd gone completely the opposite direction from the GRs to Dolgellau and completely the opposite way to Mrs Trepid.

We took the leisurely 'usual' route back to the start, up the Cemmaes/Commins bridleway and through the woods just west of Llanbrynmair.
20200112_135342 by Reg - Flickr2BBcode LITE

20200112_140406 by Reg - Flickr2BBcode LITE

Total contrast to Saturday in every respect. Along with Kev and Peter we were the last returnees and there was even some DFLD cake left AND malteser cake, hurrah!

It remains only to thank FrogATF for surviving our company, and obviously Dee and Stu without whom we'd have just sat in front of the telly at home. Errr.. hang on a minute..

Stu you are a cruelly sadistic b'stard and we luvs you and Dee to bits :-bd

("Winter Event in July next year" :lol: )
Last edited by RIP on Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

DAMBUSTERS

We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

This sums up our route.

ImageIMG_20200111_133312 by Escape Goat, on Flickr
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Oh, if you thought we had it bad then spare a thought for The Spine racers (basically The Pennine Way from S-N) who started at the weekend and currently have Storm Bastard/Bernard/Bustard or whatever it's called to deal with. At least the winds are southerly (at the moment).
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Reg I was feeling all sorry for myself with a poorly ankle till I saw your photos and read the write up , think I’m pretty glad I was invalided for this , virtually every trip last year was in biblical weather for at least one day so hopefully from next month it’s blue skies and crisp frosts till summer comes :wink:
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

middleagedmadness wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:48 pm Reg I was feeling all sorry for myself with a poorly ankle till I saw your photos and read the write up , think I’m pretty glad I was invalided for this , virtually every trip last year was in biblical weather for at least one day so hopefully from next month it’s blue skies and crisp frosts till summer comes :wink:
It was as easy as falling off a l..... :lol: Honestly it made that trip up the Mynd feel like nice day in the park, just as hilarious though. Get well soon :-bd
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Hang on Reg - you went on the east side of Nant y Moch from Angler's Retreat? That looks seriously nutty getting around the top end of the reservoir :shock:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Yep - east. As mentioned, we are indeed certifiable. It was 'interesting' :lol:.
Noooooo, sorry Bob, I did mean west. All this is getting to me :wink: .

I was dead impressed with Kev n Pete's fording, they're mental too. I'd've been getting concerned about freezing my bits off by 'thigh level' :smile: .

trob6

Post by trob6 »

Well thanks Stu and Dee ( I think) for the event
I believe I choose possibly the worst route I could have which involved some lovely steep grassy/ slippy bridle way push ups with the strongest headwinds I have experienced, even to shut a five bar gate took both hands!
It went on and on, I went past Anglers rest and on to Nant Y Arian then mercifully a tarmac road down hill to ponterwyd , by this time I had seem no one all day so I went the George Barrow to see if there where any other fellow nutters, there was a couple, Cath and Andy? They planned on Nant Sydion Bothy and I didn't take much convincing as more inclement weather was coming so I hot footed out the door before it got too comfy.
I didn't plan on going to the bothy as I thought everyone would go there but when I got there at about 3.30 there was only 3 people there.
We collected some lovely wet wood and set to getting the fire going.
Cath and Andy? arrived and that was it so we had loads of room to drip dry ours clothes and the front room got almost warm :grin:
I slept like a log and felt much recovered in the morning, we set out at first light I elected to follow Andy and Tom as there route back was shorter than mine but it started with a lovely hike a bike up the chute to the windmills which warmed me up a treat, after that it was pretty plain sailing back to base.
The next one cant be as bad surely can it ?
What's the worst than can happen?
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Next letter - B for Bob :wink:
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

RIP wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:02 pm It remains only to thank FrogATF for surviving our company
Au contraire mon cher Reg, (Rich, Steve) zee plaisir eet was all mine :-bd My weekend would have been a much poorer affair if I hadn't met up with you chaps.

One more thing...
My daughter and I go for a weekly ride along the canal tow path from Llangollen. We have noticed that at least once in the ride we have what we call an "Aahh" moment. It catches you unawares and you don't know it's happening until it's almost over. I realise I've just taken a deeeep breath and exhaled saying/thinking, "Aaaaahhh, this is good."

"What's he on about?" you're thinking. Well, despite the hills and rain and wind and wind (did I mention the wind?), I found myself having quite a few Aaahhh moments throughout the weekend.

Thanks Stu & Dee for all the work you put in for us all to have an an excuse to get out there. My lady says thanks for the bear and I say thanks for the hat. I shall wear it with pride :-bd
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Just came across some social media (instagram & strava) from Javi, Andy, Lars and Karl on behalf of their ride. All big smiles. What a happy bunch
So nice to see :-bd
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

frogatthefarriers wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:25 pm
My daughter and I go for a weekly ride along the canal tow path from Llangollen. We have noticed that at least once in the ride we have what we call an "Aahh" moment. It catches you unawares and you don't know it's happening until it's almost over. I realise I've just taken a deeeep breath and exhaled saying/thinking, "Aaaaahhh, this is good."

"What's he on about?" you're thinking. Well, despite the hills and rain and wind and wind (did I mention the wind?), I found myself having quite a few Aaahhh moments throughout the weekend.
I went up and over to Bugeilyn on my way to Nant y Moch, which was "challenging" in the conditions. Despite this, I had a few "aahh" moments too! Thoroughly enjoyable experience all in all.

It's nice to know your'e not the only one...

Si

:lol: