Alternative BAM

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Gregsie

Alternative BAM

Post by Gregsie »

Wondering if anyone's ever done a Bothy a Month ? Different one each month - no repetition allowed.
Powered by crumpets.
Ray Young

Re: Alternative BAM

Post by Ray Young »

I must admit that I tend to do more bothies than bivi's these days and whilst I most probably won't do one a month i am trying to do a different one as often as possible.
mfezela

Post by mfezela »

Are there any bothies or similar places in England? Wales is OK for me, Scotland just isn't!
I prefer a minimum two night stay in one place that allows a ride from home, explore the area and then ride home again.
Formal campsites are not generally my idea of fun.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Wales, especially mid-Wales has a few and northern England has a few too. All told, you'd probably be able to do one a month for 12 months if you include both England and Wales. Many of the bothies are becoming increasingly popular, so if you like solitude try and make it mid-week. :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:30 pm, so if you like solitude try and make it mid-week. :wink:
:-bd
mfezela

Post by mfezela »

I've found this info. Are there not any bothies in central or south west England?

Is there a resource for wild camping opportunities?

https://www.mountainbothies.org.uk/both ... ation-map/
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Is there a resource for wild camping opportunities?
Aside from Dartmoor then wild camping as such is potentially an illegal postime in England / Wales, so most people will keep spots to themselves. It really is just a matter of getting out there armed with a degree of common sense and exploring.

With regard to bothies, it's worth remembering what their actual purpose is - to provide shelter in remote areas - hence not many in the south of England.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

I really want to get one to myself so I can go in and out taking pictures of the stars without worrying about disturbing someone or reducing the heat by opening the door lots.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Escape Goat wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:28 am I really want to get one to myself so I can go in and out taking pictures of the stars without worrying about disturbing someone or reducing the heat by opening the door lots.
In my experience I generally have them to myself 3/4 of the time but obviously some bothies are more popular than others. Week days will see less usage too.
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

I gave up a 3 year run at bivvy a month to try bothy a month with Mrs 512 and the kids. We walked to some and cycled to some and made it to June before life got in the way and we've not managed to visit one together since. I don't hold out much hope for this year either, we've just bought a new house with a mountain of work to do so I'll be lucky to see my bike much at all! :cry: