Your favourite books, blogs and films of 2019?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

HopeValleyPaul

Your favourite books, blogs and films of 2019?

Post by HopeValleyPaul »

What have you enjoyed watching and reading (bike and non bike related) over the past year, share them here and help keep me sane over the xmas period.

this year I've enjoyed

Book: How to change your mind by Michael Pollan- modern history of psychedelics, fantastic read, particularly his experiences of getting high for the first time.

Audiobook, Desert solitaire by Edward Abbey read by Michael Kramer a classic book read wonderfully.

Blog: Alex Roddie, editor and outdoor writer. great thoughts on long distance lightweight backpacking, writing and some great critiques of social media
https://www.alexroddie.com/2019/12/2019 ... uture.html

Film: Bikepacking the Mongolia Steppe, it's a few years old but I only recently found it, its magic. https://vimeo.com/149557122
and I can never miss an opportunity to share the best outdoor film of all time The road from Karakol https://vimeo.com/69045994

Share your favourites
Paul.
FLV

Re: Your favourite books, blogs and films of 2019?

Post by FLV »

Hi Paul,
I'll get to my choices soon enough but thanks for the link to that Mongolia steppe film. Its about the 4th time of watching and I still really enjoy it.

I cant claim to have watched your next recommendation for some reason so I'll right that wrong now. :-bd
*Oh yeah, I have seen that. Good to watch again - adventure that is :shock:
rando nomad

Post by rando nomad »

Hi Paul

Thanks for starting this. I had no idea about Alex. Seems like a very interesting fellow and now I can't wait for his Cape Wrath book in 2021!

Best
Scott
Boab

Post by Boab »

Book: tough to pick only one. A toss up between The Algebraist by Iain M. Banks, Gnomon by Nick Harkaway or Ammonite by Nicola Griffith

Film: Star Wars, natch. Although I finally got round to watching both The Neon Demon (2016) and Under the Skin (2013) at home and I'm still not sure what passed my eyeballs.

Podcast: 13 Minutes to the Moon the best thing my ears have listened to all year, spellbinding. Although The Missing Cryptoqueen was good too.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
ootini

Post by ootini »

K1100T wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:22 pm Book: tough to pick only one. A toss up between The Algebraist by Iain M. Banks, Gnomon by Nick Harkaway or Ammonite by Nicola Griffith

Film: Star Wars, natch. Although I finally got round to watching both The Neon Demon (2016) and Under the Skin (2013) at home and I'm still not sure what passed my eyeballs.

Podcast: 13 Minutes to the Moon the best thing my ears have listened to all year, spellbinding. Although The Missing Cryptoqueen was good too.
Under the skin is an exceptional film. Utterly brilliant! Neon Demon I didn't rate. Try Mandy.
techno

Post by techno »

ootini wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:30 pm Under the skin is an exceptional film. Utterly brilliant! Neon Demon I didn't rate. Try Mandy.
Mandy was mind melting in the cinema!
Defo not for everyone though.
ootini

Post by ootini »

My favourite movie of 2019 was Brightburn.

Or this short film. 9 minutes, no dialogue, and it's very, very good. https://youtu.be/vVvoJfuDuSg
Last edited by ootini on Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boab

Post by Boab »

ootini wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:30 pm Under the skin is an exceptional film. Utterly brilliant! Neon Demon I didn't rate. Try Mandy.
I still have Primer and Upstream Color to watch, I'll add Mandy to the list...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
ootini

Post by ootini »

K1100T wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:29 pm
I still have Primer and Upstream Color to watch, I'll add Mandy to the list...
Primer is probably the best time travel movie I've seen, or at least up there with Timecrimes, which despite the awful title, is excellent.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Best book I read was this:
Honourable mentions for All the Light We Cannot See and Barbarians at the Gate

Best film I saw was this:
Honourable mentions to Eighth Grade, Pain and Glory and Joker

Best podcast I listened to was probably this:
The Waco one that the BBC did was also excellent. As was "All Hail Kale" which they've just done a new series of.

I don't read any blogs so my nomination will be the Bearbones newsletter, cos I like the way Stu writes. :-bd
ootini

Post by ootini »

Must admit, i was utterly disappointed with Once upon a time in Hollywood. Which is a shame, as I was looking forward to it.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

ootini wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:50 pm Must admit, i was utterly disappointed with Once upon a time in Hollywood. Which is a shame, as I was looking forward to it.
I absolutely hated Brightburn and walked out 20 minutes before it finished. :lol:
ootini

Post by ootini »

In Reverse wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:00 pm
ootini wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:50 pm Must admit, i was utterly disappointed with Once upon a time in Hollywood. Which is a shame, as I was looking forward to it.
I absolutely hated Brightburn and walked out 20 minutes before it finished. :lol:
Haha. Horses for courses n all that.
techno

Post by techno »

In Reverse wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:47 pm

Best podcast I listened to was probably this:
The Waco one that the BBC did was also excellent. As was "All Hail Kale" which they've just done a new series of.
Bastards is great isn't it Andy,
Have you heard last podcast on the left?
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

It really is Andy. Only started listening to it a couple of months ago so I've got a lot to get through. :shock:

Haven't heard Last Podcast on the Left. Noted for future listening. :-bd
techno

Post by techno »

In Reverse wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:05 pm It really is Andy. Only started listening to it a couple of months ago so I've got a lot to get through. :shock:

It's a true crime and paranormal podcast presented by 3 weirdos. They've a twisted sense of humour which I like a lot. There bloody loads of them to get through!
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

techno mail wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:55 pm
In Reverse wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:05 pm It really is Andy. Only started listening to it a couple of months ago so I've got a lot to get through. :shock:

It's a true crime and paranormal podcast presented by 3 weirdos. They've a twisted sense of humour which I like a lot. There bloody loads of them to get through!
You might like Drunk Women Solving Crime then
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
techno

Post by techno »

Dave Barter wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:10 pm
techno mail wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:55 pm

You might like Drunk Women Solving Crime then
Thanks, I'll have a go at that!
And I'll offer you an all "killa no filla". Also true crime presented by two lasses who are comedians.