Any thoughts on the poorer cousin of the MW7: anyone (winter shoes again, sorry)

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Any thoughts on the poorer cousin of the MW7: anyone (winter shoes again, sorry)

Post by redefined_cycles »

As per thread title. Cannot afford the MW7 nor the more expensive brother called the XM9... so am stuck thinking I might just need the MW5...

Basically japanese version of goretex waterproofing. Almost 60 percent cheaper and without the michelin sole. Currently the plan was to use the Arcteryx which I boight for this specific task.

Problem with Arcteryx even thiugh they lovely and can be worn for 36 hours on the trot (tried em on the BB200) I dont fancy trying to take em on and off through a long winter slog: 300 miles road over 3 days. They should really have come with a chaperone or something to help you on and off (pardon the french) them...

So, whats your thoughts on some lovely mw5.. anyone? :-bd
FLV

Re: Any thoughts on the poorer cousin of the MW7: anyone (winter shoes again, sorry)

Post by FLV »

Hi Shaf,

I use Salomon goretex walking boots but switched the laces to lock laces elastic jobbies.
This means that all i have to do to get them on and off is unhook the top lace hook and as theyre stretchy its pretty easy from there.

Not sure if that helps but thought i'd offer the thoughts. Falt pedals obviously.

Not tried the boots you mention sorry
redefined_cycles

Re: Any thoughts on the poorer cousin of the MW7: anyone (winter shoes again, sorry)

Thanks @flv Dave.... Yeah. Thats kinda the system I have (them ones you gave me were too heavy for bike duties so they got moved on to someone that'd make em used.

Thing with the Arcteryx I talk of, the laces are top notch and once on they stay put as they're locked in. Its the thing of actually getting foot in and out though as goretex liner is a sowen (or sewen or sewn) in affair. So you have to really play some acrobatics and once in its all l9cked and comfy.

Hmmm. The fact that you're also along the same lines as me (walking boots that remain comfy) means I might end up sticking up with current plan (the Arcteryx). Thanks man
BenS

Post by BenS »

I have a pair - find them comfortable and they keep feet dry. I get cold feet and when it’s cold out on long rides my feet will still freeze in them. I have some 45Nrth Japanthers which are a very definite step up in warmth. I’m not sure how suitable the MW5s would be for long days out in winter depending on how warm your extremities run
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

The MW5 was what I initially intended buying but they seem to be out of stock in a lot of places which made me think that they'd been discontinued. The places that did have them in stock were charging almost as much as a pair of discounted MW7s which is why I eventually went for the MW7 instead. Most of the reviews that I read about the MW5 were very positive so if you could find a pair at the right price in your size they should be a decent option. Just for the record, I'm not completely happy with my MW7s. The shoe itself is water tight however the neoprene cuff section isn't lined with Goretex and water seems to wick down into the rest of the boot from here leading to damp feet. This is just from water splashing up onto the cuff from the road/trail not from riding in pouring rain. I also don't find them particularly warm (but I do tend to suffer from cold feet). To be honest I kinda wish that I'd just gone for a pair of ME7s and saved some money to spend on extra waterproof socks. Just my opinion though, others may well love their MW7s/MW5s.
Scud

Post by Scud »

Bikeinn.com Have them for £89 plus a further 5% off with code ORDERM5

https://www.bikeinn.com/bike/shimano-mw ... lsrc=aw.ds
redefined_cycles

Thanks all... have decided, after reports (cold and wet) on here as well as online shop reviews, to give em a miss and keep persevering for winter with my walking boots. At least they better proofed as well as should be alot warmer...

XM9 seems to be the order of the day for next year..
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

I've previously had a pair of MW5. Pretty much wore them out. Bought a pair of MW7 for this winter and have been very impressed so far. I've yet to get my feet wet in them despite having being in up to the calves on a couple of occasions and riding in some proper rain. The sole is far, far better than the MW5.

Jurassic - haven't experienced your issue with the cuffs, but it sounds like you'd benefit from some gaiters, even something like this would make a big difference.
redefined_cycles

Andy (I can't believe I got the name right.. its finally sat in my brain the right closet I think), that gaitor seems an amazing find. Thanks
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

In Reverse wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:50 pm I've previously had a pair of MW5. Pretty much wore them out. Bought a pair of MW7 for this winter and have been very impressed so far. I've yet to get my feet wet in them despite having being in up to the calves on a couple of occasions and riding in some proper rain. The sole is far, far better than the MW5.

Jurassic - haven't experienced your issue with the cuffs, but it sounds like you'd benefit from some gaiters, even something like this would make a big difference.
In Reverse, that's good to hear. It's early days for my MW7s so hopefully they'll grow on me (if you get my drift?) The gaiter idea is probably the way to go to try and seal up the ankle area and is something I'll look into, thanks.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

I find ensuring no sock is peeping up above the neoprene cuff helps keep my feet dry. I think it’s more the socks rather than the cuff that wicks in water.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

lune ranger wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:08 am I find ensuring no sock is peeping up above the neoprene cuff helps keep my feet dry. I think it’s more the socks rather than the cuff that wicks in water.
That makes sense, I've been wearing merino hiking socks (to try to keep my feet warm) and they are quite long. I'll look into getting some shorter warm socks for this specific task. :-bd
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

That’s where a gaiter helps. You can wear longer socks and avoid wicking.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

The shorter version of the Woolie Boolie works OK for me. Keep them inside the boots, cuff against skin, those Gripgrab gaiters over the cuff/skin interface then tights pulled down over the top of everything and I'm usually OK
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

In Reverse wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:38 am The shorter version of the Woolie Boolie works OK for me. Keep them inside the boots, cuff against skin, those Gripgrab gaiters over the cuff/skin interface then tights pulled down over the top of everything and I'm usually OK
Yep, that makes sense. Plenty for me to try there in the hope of improved performance with my MW7s.
Just out of interest, does anybody know if the MW5 has been discontinued? I wondered if it was about to get the Boa "upgrade" that the MW7 got last year which might explain the poor availability.
redefined_cycles

Jurassic wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:21 am
In Reverse wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:38 am The shorter version of the Woolie Boolie works OK for me. Keep them inside the boots, cuff against skin, those Gripgrab gaiters over the cuff/skin interface then tights pulled down over the top of everything and I'm usually OK
Yep, that makes sense. Plenty for me to try there in the hope of improved performance with my MW7s.
Just out of interest, does anybody know if the MW5 has been discontinued? I wondered if it was about to get the Boa "upgrade" that the MW7 got last year which might explain the poor availability.
I've always had good experience with my previous winter shoes (fiveTen guide tennie mid in goretex version) and never any water ingress by making sure that when iys getting wet I put on my waterproof pants which go over the ankles thereby creating a fully proofed little mini climate at the ankles. Had good experience over pst 3 years with my winter 300 miler round trips as well as a nasty torrential road ride in the SouthWest. In 2018 water got into my R shoe (i think it was R) but that wasn't from uptop but vos the sole had developed a hole so water was capillary-action(ing) through that.

Just a thought... goretex army issue full length pants on fleabay (well thats where i got mine in 2016 I think) f9r well under £35
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I got a pair of the GripGrab gaiters to try out. I used the sizing chart and went for the S/M size after measuring my skinny ankles. They're pretty tight but I'm thinking that's no bad thing if they're to keep the water at bay. I'll post an update once I've tried them out (not that I'm doubting In Reverse's assessment of them). They're pretty much like the glideskin seals that are found on the wrists and ankles on some wetsuits and drysuits. They work very well in those applications (I have experience of using them in both).
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Okay after a couple of decent tests my conclusion on the GripGrab gaiters is.................that they work very well. Yep no more wet feet misery due to water entering my MW7s via the top and totally dry socks as a result. They are tight and a bit awkward to put on but once in place you wouldn't know you're wearing them (other than the dry feet). Thanks to In Reverse for the tip. :-bd
I'll need to try some Woolie Boolie socks next though as my feet are still getting cold despite remaining dry.
redefined_cycles

Jurassic wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:03 am Okay after a couple of decent tests my conclusion on the GripGrab gaiters is.................that they work very well. Yep no more wet feet misery due to water entering my MW7s via the top and totally dry socks as a result. They are tight and a bit awkward to put on but once in place you wouldn't know you're wearing them (other than the dry feet). Thanks to In Reverse for the tip. :-bd
I'll need to try some Woolie Boolie socks next though as my feet are still getting cold despite remaining dry.
Forget Woolie Boolies. I dont think they can match the HJhall Rambler addition. I have 2 pairs so far as they're that good. A thick pile and 60 perceent wool and I've managed * to get 5 days out of em without become smelly (thats too strong a term even) and after about 7 days i managed to get a slight whiff...

*For testing purposes only off course :grin:
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Jurassic wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:03 am Okay after a couple of decent tests my conclusion on the GripGrab gaiters is.................that they work very well. Yep no more wet feet misery due to water entering my MW7s via the top and totally dry socks as a result. They are tight and a bit awkward to put on but once in place you wouldn't know you're wearing them (other than the dry feet). Thanks to In Reverse for the tip. :-bd
Good stuff. :-bd

I realise this is going to sound terribly patronising but... with regard to putting them on, did you read the instructions? :grin:

I didn't until after I'd worn them a couple of times then suddenly it was "oh THAT's how you do it".
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

In Reverse wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:05 pm
Good stuff. :-bd

I realise this is going to sound terribly patronising but... with regard to putting them on, did you read the instructions? :grin:

I didn't until after I'd worn them a couple of times then suddenly it was "oh THAT's how you do it".
Errr, no I chucked the packaging in the bin! :oops: I've found that turning them inside out and rolling them over my foot works okay but am open to other suggestions and tips from those in the know. :wink:
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:32 am
Forget Woolie Boolies. I dont think they can match the HJhall Rambler addition. I have 2 pairs so far as they're that good. A thick pile and 60 perceent wool and I've managed * to get 5 days out of em without become smelly (thats too strong a term even) and after about 7 days i managed to get a slight whiff...

*For testing purposes only off course :grin:
Thanks for the tip redefined cycles, I shall have a look at them. :-bd
redefined_cycles

^^ typo in my :smile:Rambler edition... not addition :-bd
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Jurassic wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:16 pm
In Reverse wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:05 pm Good stuff. :-bd

Errr, no I chucked the packaging in the bin! :oops: I've found that turning them inside out and rolling them over my foot works okay but am open to other suggestions and tips from those in the know. :wink:
Instructions were to pull them over you foot inside out, thin end pointing down, and pull them up your calf. Then once you've got your boot on roll it back down so it's right way round, thin end up. If that makes sense. Seemed to work a lot easier for me.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Yes that makes total sense and is kind of what I've been doing myself through trial and error. Thanks. :-bd