HT550 2020 route GPX?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Krixmeister

HT550 2020 route GPX?

Post by Krixmeister »

As I didn't get into the group start this year, will do the ITT. Is there a 2020 route GPX posted anywhere? Did a quick search on this forum, didn't find it, but I may have done a bad job searching.
whitestone

Re: HT550 2020 route GPX?

Post by whitestone »

Alan doesn't post it anywhere as far as I know, he just emails it to all those on the group start so you are probably best emailing him and asking for it.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I'd hang on if I were you, a small change is imminent and there may be other tweaks before the route is finalised.
NewRetroTom

Post by NewRetroTom »

Alan has already sent out the gpx to those on the 2020 group start, so I'm sure he'll be happy to send it to anyone planning an ITT.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I'm planning on doing it as in ITT next year as the group start classes with my wife's 50th birthday, I missed her 48th and only got back for the last hours of her 49th due to being at he HT550.

Alan has said I should email him a few weeks before I plan to go to get the route and ensure it's the latest version.

For starting your planning you can use the 2019 route as it will go through all the same places for resupply and there will also be Poolewe which is the change, see the discussion on here about the changes.

When planning don't get into too much detail about where you want to be by when, unless you've ridden it before you'll not have any idea on how long each section will take and the weather will also play a big part. In 2018 I was at the garage in Ullapool for early morning, I thought I'd get to Kinlochewe 44 miles away by mid afternoon and go to the cafe... I go there at night and only got 2 packets for crisps for dinner from the pub just before it closed.

You mainly need a list of cafes/pubs/shops and the distance between them so you can see how far to the next opportunity for food.

I can send you the 2019 gpx if that helps and you can work out roughly where the changes are from the discussion on here.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
touch

Post by touch »

htrider wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:49 pm I'd hang on if I were you, a small change is imminent and there may be other tweaks before the route is finalised.
Does this involve the road out of Ullapool? I knew there was a change coming here for this year but the detail of it was a little different to what I had expected.
AlanG

Post by AlanG »

The one definite change to the 2020 route that I sent to the group starters is that after Ullapool it will take the usual turn for Croftown and use estate tracks to get to the start of the new section along the Auchindrean Path by the river. This avoids about 4km on the main road.
The route into Fisherfield by Loch a Bhraoin is subject to the new hydro scheme there not submerging the current track by May! Could the local riders please keep me updated with what is happening here next spring?
touch

Post by touch »

AlanG wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:28 pm The one definite change to the 2020 route that I sent to the group starters is that after Ullapool it will take the usual turn for Croftown and use estate tracks to get to the start of the new section along the Auchindrean Path by the river. This avoids about 4km on the main road.
Excellent - that's exactly that part I meant but, never having ridden it, I wasn't sure if there was a reason for not using the estate track. I'll be glad to get off the main road out of Ullapool as soon as possible!

Another very minor thing: there is a small section of the Great Glen Way missed out just before Gairlochy.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

AlanG wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:28 pm The one definite change to the 2020 route that I sent to the group starters is that after Ullapool it will take the usual turn for Croftown and use estate tracks to get to the start of the new section along the Auchindrean Path by the river. This avoids about 4km on the main road.
The route into Fisherfield by Loch a Bhraoin is subject to the new hydro scheme there not submerging the current track by May! Could the local riders please keep me updated with what is happening here next spring?
Alan, Just reading the planning application and it has this to say about the track.
Representations raise concerns regarding the proposed realignment of sections of track between the boathouse and cottage and bothy at Loch a Bhraoin. Sections of this track are currently inundated at times when the loch level is naturally high. After the loch is dammed, the frequency of this inundation will increase and so it is considered necessary to realign the affected sections of track to keep them above the highest level and ensure access is maintained. The width of the track is not to increase beyond the existing and the realignment will only take place at the sections where there is an impact, which equates to approx. 300m of track. The existing track is to be reinstated to minimise any adverse visual impact. The exact specification of the realigned sections of the track will be agreed in consultation with the Council’s access officer and SNH. The modified access track is likely to appear similar in character to the existing track and the restoration of the areas of track to be inundated will minimise visual and landscape impact. Furthermore, the application presents an opportunity to improve the existing track which is heavily eroded in places and is currently inundated with water when the loch level is high. The track has also been mechanically widened in places and its reinstatement is an opportunity to create a track that better fits with the landscape.
Whether this work has been done or will be in the process of being done at the time of the HT isn't clear.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
AlanG

Post by AlanG »

The track “improvements” by Loch a Bhraoin sound good. As long as they are not doing it during HT week we should be fine.
The short section of the GGW just before Gairlochy was missed out on purpose. It’s parallel and very close to the road so easy to miss on the GPX track. Also it spits you out at speed onto the wrong side of the road, I thought it would be safer just to follow the road for this short distance rather than having to cross it twice.
The previous section of singletrack by the loch is still in and 100% obligatory.
Ron Thomson

Post by Ron Thomson »

AlanG wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:47 pm
The previous section of singletrack by the loch is still in and 100% obligatory.
Got it! :roll: :lol:
journeyman

Post by journeyman »

The coffin road is dead and buried! I will stick two fingers up to the finger post as I zoom past - assuming all goes well to that point!
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Aye - good riddance to the Coffin Road. It's a shame to miss this iconic view down into Carnmore and the causeway though.
journeyman

Post by journeyman »

Carnmore descent is still in (The window into Fisherfield) but not that superb descent to Dundonnel house overlooking An Teallach - coffin road above Croftown's chimney pots was the crux for me
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Ah yes, thinking of Shenavall.