Interesting idea, but

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Gregsie

Interesting idea, but

Post by Gregsie »

Stumbled across this on the interweb https://bikepacking.com/news/cranktank4/

Interesting idea, and get it if you are going somewhere that's a tad less wet than the UK and has less cafe's / pubs / refill opportunities. But that's 4 kg of ballast on your bike when it's full.

I normally 'survive' on carrying a couple of bottles max on my bike (most of the time one if I'm out for a day) and an MSR Trailshot if I'm going somewhere sans taps. Out of interest, how much does everyone else carry ?
Powered by crumpets.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Interesting idea, but

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I saw that that other day - I too can see it being of use somethere arid with limited resupply. I suppose 4l isn't 'that' much water when you consider those who carry 3l for a couple of hours round a trail centre but personally, I'd not want 4kg strapped to my bike for any longer than required, it is however, in the prime location. :-bd

In the UK, I usually carry 750ml which I top up as and when + a 2l soft bottle that I'll try and fill shortly before stopping for the night.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Uhm, just thinking and I wonder what it'd be like with 3l onboard. I'm assuming it's unbaffled so the water is free to move about?
May the bridges you burn light your way
Scud

Post by Scud »

Would need to be easy to clean out, if it is designed for arid places, then i'm not sure i'd want water carried in something where it is exposed to strong sunlight for days on end?

I know what water was like having been carried in black plastic jerry cans in Africa for a fortnight...
RIP

Post by RIP »

"water is free to move about" - yeah that's what I wouldn't like the sound of. Once the bike starts going in one particular direction - the edge of a very high cliff, say - the kinetic energy or whatever it is would make the next few seconds quite entertaining. Or maybe a more accurate analogy would be with one of those amusing toys that has two linked sticks with weights on the ends, and after you've "started" it the resulting directions and wobbles and twists and turns are entirely random and jerky. Don't fancy riding a random and jerky bike.

500ml and a Trailshot for me thank you (& occasionally a 2L platy as per Stu), but then I can't remember the last time I crossed the Gobi desert.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Given the sloshing i am not even sure its that much use on the desert

Uk i use one water bottle plus another 1 litre one i use at the end of the day /last stop to get through the night - i like a lot of water when i wake up

If I have a bladder I take a 2 litre one but only fill to top last thing
MSR trailshot for filtering duties
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

It is a good idea, but they need to make some smaller ones - 1 to 1.5l or so would be my ideal. Its narrow enough that side to side sloshing will be minimal I reckon
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

To stop the water sloshing about just fill the tank with a sponge like material in food grade.
You might even be able to work in a filter system if you are clever
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

A slight aside. Milk tankers don't have baffles inside them to stop the milk sloshing around, if they did then there's a chance they'd have butter by the time they got to the dairy :lol: Means that they have to drive very carefully.

The sponge idea's a good one. Finding one that you could fit through the lid and didn't take up too much room might be the tricky part.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry