On One Whippet

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Shewie

On One Whippet

Post by Shewie »

Are they any good? It looks like a decent machine ...

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBOOWHSX/ ... ntain-bike
johnnystorm

Re: On One Whippet

Post by johnnystorm »

It's brand new, who knows? Usual PX/On-One lottery I guess.

It used to be Whippet 26" and Lurcher 29". I guess as there's not going to be a 26" version the Lurcher has "gone to live on a farm".
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

There was a lot of love for the old Lurcher and this doesn't look too disimilar.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

Ah I wasn’t sure if it was new new, or just new, they seem to bring out new bikes every day

I don’t have that kind of spare brass anyway but I could be tempted if they reduce them later
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Personally I would not want to be one of the first owners and would prefer to wait to read on QG issues

Its very variable from on one IME.An original Whippet is still used though.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

We have a carbon fibre one. I bought it for Joe a couple of years ago. They have been around for years, it's not a new model. I bought his second hand after a young lad had done a lot of downhill stuff on it. Between us (Joe has outgrown it and so I mostly ride it now) we have put a few more thousand miles on it. In all that time I have done pretty much nothing to it. It just goes on and on. I paid £250 for it - its the gift that keeps on giving.

The only thing I would say is that sometimes it does feel a bit 'buzzy' on rough ground. The frame doesn't seem to soak up vibration as well as our other CF bike.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I think this is a new model with an old name Bridget. The 'old' Whippet was a 26" wheeler, this is a 29er.
May the bridges you burn light your way
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

I'd say it's an updated Maccatuskil (who the hell thought of that tongue twister) rather than Lurcher, I have 2 Lurchers and although they're not the lightest, they are pretty bombproof. I've not compared angles but it seems the Whippet is aimed at racing rather than all day comfort. Internal cable and hose routing worries me, these budget frames are not usually guided and untensioned cables or brake hoses rattle like buggery. When I worked there, if a bike was returned with rattly hoses, instructions from on high were to pump some builders foam into the frame to gunge it up. Good luck recabling afterwards! £999 for a full bike when the frame is £599 is either a bargain bike or an expensive frame!
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

pistonbroke wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:18 pm £999 for a full bike when the frame is £599 is either a bargain bike or an expensive frame!
Just their unique take on pricing - it'll be some random combo of (less) numbers in a number of minutes / hours / weeks / days / at random.

At the "right" price I expect it'll be a bargain.
Thisisnotaspoon

Post by Thisisnotaspoon »

£999 for a full bike when the frame is £599 is either a bargain bike or an expensive frame!
Partially I suspect it's to make the full bike look like good value. Which then sells more full bikes to people who were never really going to buy a frame only anyway. Same as Specialized frequently sell their carbon frame only for more than the lowest spec full bike (albeit aluminium and without an ohlins shock).

And partially to maximize profit, there will always be people who want a frame only, and generally they're probably the ones who want to spend more on a build.

I bought one of the new Scandals, managed to get the GX version for ~£900 which was a ludicrus bargain by waiting for a combination of discounts. I'm a cheepskate. They're now £1300 I think, but come with a nicer wheelset. Which will appeal to people who have £1300 to spend but want to ride a bike now, not next summer when there might or might not be another sale.
At the "right" price I expect it'll be a bargain.
It's always the right price for someone. The whole point of 'sales' is that you sell loads of bikes at full price to those that want it. There'll always be a majority of people that want a bike now, not in 6 months time and will pay the RRP. Then you have a sale and sell it to a different group of people.

They'll probably sell a lot over the winter to people who want to save their £3k+ FS bike for the summer. Then have a sale in Spring to get the lower budget buyers who are buying it as their nice summer bike.