2 wheeled adventure of a different kind.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

2 wheeled adventure of a different kind.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

'Adventure' is a pretty serious business these days, so I was delighted to discover the Monkey Run and more so, to discover it had an ethos I could easily embrace. For those who don't know and why would you, the basic format is a self supported journey across some wild (properly wild) places, with little idea of where you're going or quite how to get there ... on a Monkey bike.

Here's a little extract from the website and they also have a very catchy Monkey Run song featuring a chorus of "come and ride our monkey bikes, sruggle up hills and get covered in sh1te" ... what's not to like :-bd
The Monkey Run is pretty stupid. It’s like a jungley, mountainy, deserty velvet glove of adventuring joy. So grab your sweaty hand and shove it inside.

There’s nothing quite like the sensation of a monkey bike between your thighs as you thunder, slowly, along dirt roads with absolutely no idea where you are. As you glance up, there, staring down at you like a baby ant in a tinyness competition might be some of the highest mountains on Earth. Imagine endless jungles lying in wait to punch your cheeky face with the fist of adventure. Imagine deserts that stretch far beyond the horizon chuckling at you woefully underpowered 2 wheel children’s toy.
May the bridges you burn light your way
pistonbroke

Re: 2 wheeled adventure of a different kind.

Post by pistonbroke »

I'm sure Prof Steve Peters would approve, it would appeal to my inner Chimp.
Link for those wondering what the hell I'm jabbering on about.
https://chimpmanagement.com/books-by-pr ... p-paradox/
RIP

Post by RIP »

Lovely. I'd like to see what you type in as your search criteria for these things though Stu :smile: .

I also wonder whether they have the right type of adventures: "nothing quite like the sensation of a monkey bike between your thighs"..... nothing? :smile:

R
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

The collective noun for monkeys is "a barrel". :-bd

I've seen a barrel of monkey bikes out in the Peaks going up towards Mam Tor from the Barber Booth side. About 30 of them in matching jackets :shock: . The noise was incredible. Looked a right barrel of laughs tbf.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

RIP wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:16 pm Lovely. I'd like to see what you type in as your search criteria for these things though Stu :smile: .

I also wonder whether they have the right type of adventures: "nothing quite like the sensation of a monkey bike between your thighs"..... nothing? :smile:

R
Nothing Reg.

Unless you're one of those people who likes the feel of balloons against their skin - they'd probably prefer the sensation of having a balloon between their thighs.

For everyone else it's a monkey bike.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Honda still sell a monkey bike!
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Was this from The Adventurists folk!? I've seen content from their organised Monkey run crossing the Peruvian Andes which brought a smile to my face.
That group do seem to put on some fun 'events', although obviously at a price
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:44 am 'Adventure' is a pretty serious business these days, so I was delighted to discover the Monkey Run and more so, to discover it had an ethos I could easily embrace. For those who don't know and why would you, the basic format is a self supported journey across some wild (properly wild) places, with little idea of where you're going or quite how to get there ... on a Monkey bike
I seem to recall 'someone' suggested doing the TNR on C90's.....
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Honda still sell a monkey bike!
They do. However most you see will be Chinese such as Gorilla.
Was this from The Adventurists folk!?
It is. I found it refreshing after so much 'pouting and posturing' displayed in many other places.
I seem to recall 'someone' suggested doing the TNR on C90's.....
Oh yeah, now you mention it I do recall something :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
RobLyon

Post by RobLyon »

I spent quite a long while looking at CT90 and CT110's but they were generally old and expensive to get bits for. Moved onto Honda Innova's as they're 125cc fuel injected and have better brakes/suspension. I ended up buying a Beta Alp 200 about a month ago with the intention of doing classic trials/Long distance trials and milling about Wales/Alps/Pyrenee's.
Chew

Post by Chew »

rufus748 wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:16 amI seem to recall 'someone' suggested doing the TNR on C90's.....
Something for me and Stu to do when we're older and more even more decrepit :shock:
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

BB200 2014 route on a Puch Maxi anyone?
Cyclepeasant

Post by Cyclepeasant »

Oh wow! Puch maxi and monkey bikes! Carlton corsa...Early teens....where are those rose specs...
Insanity over vanity