Foreseeable problems,

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ozboz

Foreseeable problems,

Post by ozboz »

Hello all , I just in the throes of changing the cassette and derailleur on my MTB , going from an 11 speed 11-42 to an 11 -50 , it’s a 1 x set up with a 32 chainwheel , at the mo the der’r is an SLX shadow , I’ve got an XT M8000 long cage on the way , I’m not sure if I will need to get an XT shifter or not and probably need to sort the chain out , I’ve read a couple of things on web sites it should be an easy enough converstion but ......
Anyone else had a go at this ? Be interested to know how it went and if I’ve missed anything , Cheers
Lazarus

Re: Foreseeable problems,

Post by Lazarus »

Assuming you have not changed speed and stayed with the same manufacturer* you will be fine with the shifter

You are going to need a longer chain to accomodate the extra gears

You may need a mech adapter and a longer B screw depending as the maximum rear cog is 46 but it also confusingly says it can do a 39 range, I have an SLX long on a 48 without issue or adaption

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/ ... 00-GS.html

for example - not recomending just so you know what one is

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aluminum-All ... CpuTvr7Sjg
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Shimano are somewhat conservative in stating what their rear mechs will handle as they want to ensure they will work in every situation. My wife has an SLX medium cage mech with an 11-46T cassette tooth so I'd reckon a long cage will handle the 50T no problem.

The only thing you don't mention is whether you are on a HT or full suss.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ozboz

Post by ozboz »

Thanks for replies, it’s a HT Lapierre Edge , I got it at a great price so I’m upping all the components bit by bit , already put XT hydraulic brakes on and Exotic forks , it’s a lot lighter now , also got an FSA sealed bearing headset, so the next in line is the drivetrain ,