Brake, rattle and roll

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Shewie

Brake, rattle and roll

Post by Shewie »

I changed my front pads after my last ride, now I've got a loose rattle/knock upfront when I rock the bike with the brake on

I think it's just the new split pin being slightly narrower than the last one, the ends of the pin are well splayed but it doesn't feel right to me. Rotors are torqued up correctly and the headset is fine.

Is it worth worrying about or shall I just ignore it? Is there a fix? Replace with the old pin? I'm new to biking anything beyond about 1991, but could the pads be iffy or installed wrongly, I went for matching genuine Shimano stock and they seemed to slide in okay, pin lined up etc

Shimano BR-M395 brakeset with B01S resin pads
sean_iow

Re: Brake, rattle and roll

Post by sean_iow »

Some pads seem to do this. They're just a bit loose in the caliper. As long as they are the same size as the ones they replaced they'll be fine. It's the fit in the caliper that stops them moving but if they were a tight fit they would stick and not move in use.

It's a bit disconcerting but in use they won't rattle as when braking they'll be pushed up against one side of the caliper.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

Thanks Sean

I'm out in N Wales for a few nights this weekend so I'll see how it goes
Thisisnotaspoon

Post by Thisisnotaspoon »

What Sean said, the pad is pushed against the lip at the front of the calliper under braking, the pin is just there to stop them falling out. The pads are always a bit undersize, feels a bit like a loose headset or worn fork bushings when you rock backwards and forwards with the brake on.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Yeah, nowt to worry about BUT thread title of the week I believe :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

:grin:

:-bd