Sram gxp crank in a shimano bb

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

fatbikephil

Sram gxp crank in a shimano bb

Post by fatbikephil »

Apologies for the "is this compatible" type question....
Just discovered the incompatibility of this set up, having never noticed that the sram GXP crank spindle is 22mm, dia on the nds. Anyway I've ordered a shim from fleabay and then read loads of stuff about this not working. Anyone shed any light / joy on this?
whitestone

Re: Sram gxp crank in a shimano bb

Post by whitestone »

You can get Hope GXP adapter shims for Hope BBs, I think there are third party ones for Shimano BBs but haven't used them.

Do a search on STW about it, quite a few threads on there.

GXP is one of those stupid "just to be different" SRAM designs.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Cheers Bob - the ebay one looks like a steel version of the hope one. Just sussed out that the sram system clamps the nds crank to the nds bearing which is actually quite a neat way of avoiding the preloading-of-the-bearing-just-right shenanigans on Shimanos. Pity they don't spec a needle roller in the drive side which would work well with this set up and may have persuaded me to buy another sram bb.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

whitestone wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:55 pm GXP is one of those stupid "just to be different" SRAM designs.
It's actually quite clever as there is no bearing pre-load to set as the crank is only retained laterally in the non-driveside bearing and floats in the driveside with just a crinkle washer to hold the seal in place. This removes one of the biggest causes of bb failure from the process, namely people over-tightening the pre-load nut.

I've got a sram crank in a hope bb with the adapter and it works well.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Another one with Hope spacer, which has been flawless for 2 years - but it is in a Hope BB.
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

I’m using a Shimano BB and a cheap eBay adaptor with a SRAM crank. The stock SRAM BBs just don’t last. The adaptor set-up has only been running for a couple of months, so can’t say yet if it’s a winner.