Bar mounted accessories setup

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

composite

Bar mounted accessories setup

Post by composite »

I'm just looking for some inspiration/ideas on ways that you have your bar-mounted accessories setup. I guess I'm after pictures here with whatever extra bits you have to allow you to have you GPS, lights, anything else in a position that you like on your bars.

I have a set up at the moment that I like on my drop bar bikes but as soon as I add any sort of handlebar bag into that setup I will need to move my lights. I have tried mimicking the setup on my flat bar bikes but this puts my GPS to close to me and it doesn't feel like it's in a comfortable position for me.
In Reverse

Re: Bar mounted accessories setup

Post by In Reverse »

Do you use an "out front" gps mount Neil? I've found it's helped a lot.

I don't have a light on the bars for bikepacking either, so that also gives more room.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

My accessories are only a GPS and a light. Both fit on the bar easily enough, with the bag (Revelate Harness) sitting below the level that it would interfere with either.

ImageP1010496 by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

ImageEnjoying the descent by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

Jones Loop bars obviously give another option, though I tend only to have the light forward mounted and still have the GPS at the usual place by the stem.

ImageDSC_0697 by Colin Cadden, on Flickr
Thisisnotaspoon

Post by Thisisnotaspoon »

I got one of those out front bar mount things from china, basicly two aluminium legs that clamp the bars and a stub of carbon bar out the front. Swapped the bar for a bit of plastic pipe that was longer.

Then mount it vertically so it rises the light etc about 80mm above the bar bag.

Image2016-10-10_10-21-02 by thisisnotaspoon, on Flickr
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I have the above. It broke after a while, ordered another to replace it, definitely worth it

Also have one on my commuter for mounting my strada more centrally and further forward
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Similar accessories bar here too but only have the GPS and Joystick light on it. The "bar" is a CO2 cannister. Main light as you can see is a Revo which I've lifted up by using a longer 6mm thread set screw and a piece of carbon tube with the existing Exposure bar mount. The aluminium plate acts as a way of keeping the bar roll off the headtube and has my electrics mounted behind. A kemo switch serves to power the light and a powerbank from the dynamo.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I use a quadlock ‘out front’ mount to hold my iPhone for navigation, it’s fitted with a GoPro fitting on the underside, the GoPro fitting holds a GoPro to standard light mount to which my sinewave beacon is mounted. Simple, light and provides sufficient clearance over the bar bag :-bd
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Thisisnotaspoon

On the subject of quadlock, i found someone on ebay selling knock off garmin mounts with vhb backing for £4 including a topcap mount! The things putting me off quadlock were the price and the fact it was yet another mount, but this solved both! Just combined it with a cheap phone case.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3171176599
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Thisisnotaspoon wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:43 am On the subject of quadlock, i found someone on ebay selling knock off garmin mounts with vhb backing for £4 including a topcap mount! The things putting me off quadlock were the price and the fact it was yet another mount, but this solved both! Just combined it with a cheap phone case.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3171176599
Quadlock might be moderately pricey but it does work very well, the added bonus is a very good car mount and slim case :-bd
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
composite

Post by composite »

This is my current setup, that when I don't need a bar bag I'm very happy with. Everything lined up centrally, and low angled positioned for the light as is my preference.

If I just try to roll the accessory bar upwards to avoid a bar bag and mount the light the right way up, it gets in the way of the GPS. On my mountain bikes, I can mount the out front GPS mount on the accessory bar "the wrong way" facing it back towards me, so it's far enough away from the light but on both of my drop bar bikes it brings it to close to me and it doesn't feel right.

A version of the accessory bar that has a longer mount so it sits further away from the handlebar would do it but they all seem to be about the same length from what I have seen.
composite

Post by composite »

Currently thinking about a combination of:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bike-Stem-Ex ... 0005.m1851

and

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bike-Light-L ... 0005.m1851

but not even sure that will lift the light high enough to avoid a bar roll, with the extra bag that sits on top.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Over a certain length, vibration will likely become problematic.

Other than that, I guess there's no reason you couldn't "stack" bar extenders, with one mounted to the bars and a second mounted to the first.
composite

Post by composite »

Check out this one for a 50's microphone. I need this for on the bike vlogs. :lol:

composite

Post by composite »

I could always just mount the light off centre and just point it into the middle. I'll probably never know the difference. Maybe I'm just OCDing it. :|
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

ImageUntitled by Asposium, on Flickr

Garmin Edge 1030 outfront
Garmin inReach Mini (or Oregon 700) on stem via a RAM mount
Light on helmet
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

composite wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:45 pm I could always just mount the light off centre and just point it into the middle. I'll probably never know the difference. Maybe I'm just OCDing it. :|
Mine are mounted off-centre. Can't say it's an issue.

One thing I need to do though are move the mounts on a couple of the bikes as on a couple the GPS is left of the stem, light on the right, and on others it's the reverse.... :|
Thisisnotaspoon

Off center isnt a problem unless your bars taper or bend quickly out of the clamp.

My OH has a bar bag strapped to one of those accessory mounts to keep it forward of all the cables (and its an e-bike so has an extra computer screen).
composite

Post by composite »

It would be off centre on the accessory mount, so should be fine in that respect.
drjon

Post by drjon »

ive been interested in bar mounting kit for a wee while, using a Bar Yak Ultra primarily, and with a 4 point harness I made, laterally stiffened with a carbon fibre tube, it is incredibly stable even with a sizeable DCF hybrid roll bag (I also made) mounted. The trick was then to use the carbon 22.2 forward tube to mount some tools - in this case a Clever Standard chain barrel and a dynaplug driver with some bar end plugs I also made to hold them solidly in place.

I became interested in a Decaleur set up and there are some interesting pics on Flickr of diy decaleur - the Syntace stem has a Twin Fix option, and ive been messing with mounting a Wolftooth B rad plate to it. this would afford a very removable, relatively light way to give wide 4 point mounting for a harness, so we'll see where that goes. I have half a mind to design a bar mounting strap deck like the double and triple versions I sell, that will mount directly to the twin fix set up. the stem bolt plates will hold up to 25kg believe it or not - as long as the M5 bolts are high quality and the interface is solid, so a few kg for a bar roll is going to be zero issue even in rough terrain...

I also like the GoPro style mounting system, and with the bar yak, you can mount a Rec mount receiver over the pre drilled and clamp holes to mount your light...pretty sweet and stable too...

ive also made a few eccentric clamp spacers for 22.2 - > 31.8 so I can messs around with placement fo various gadgets to the bars to keep them clear of bags, but stable...

hope that gives a wee bit of inspiration...

ootini

Post by ootini »

Is there such a thing as a quadlock adaptor for an Etrex series?
techno

Post by techno »

ootini wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:48 pm Is there such a thing as a quadlock adaptor for an Etrex series?
Not that I can find.