taiwan imports?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mike

taiwan imports?

Post by Mike »

Looking at the new grx groupsets and looks like cheapest is direct from Taiwan. Anyone know if i we have to pay more tax and import on top of that? I have in my head that we dont but was just wondering if anyones bought anything direct from said country and got stung
Cheeky Monkey

Re: taiwan imports?

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I think you are due to pay import tax etc. Can't imagine it'll be any different to "importing" anything from other places outside EU like the States etc.

Whether it'll get picked up by courier ...... (probably).
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

It seems to be a bit of a lottery as to whether you get hit with import duty (plus VAT) - could just be a machine that flips every seventh item to be checked or a bloke randomly grabbing a packet from the pile. They'll also check items from particular suppliers who've they've previously discovered to have undervalued the goods, apparently HMRC have the internet as well :wink:

Whatever happens, HMRC pass the item to the courier who is responsible for collecting said duty plus VAT from you. They'll charge an admin/release fee on top of anything owed to HMRC.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

I got my GRX from Bikediscount.de in Germany. No import duty (at the moment :sad: ).
Gregsie

Post by Gregsie »

Import a lot of stuff from outside of the EU. You'll probably get hit for the VAT + customs processing charge based on the declaration on the outside of the box and the exchange rate that day.

Parcelfarce seem to have sharpened up on this over the past year or so. Used to be 50/50 on whether they would hit you with charges, now it's more like 90/10 in their favour.
Powered by crumpets.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Duty on parts is 4.7% so perhaps not a big increase compared to the potential saving? Add 20% VAT on top of that also though.
composite

Post by composite »

All the big-ticket items that I have ordered from outside of the Eurozone in the last 5 years I have had to pay TAX on once it got here. This has always slowed down the delivery quite a bit, as the courier has to snail mail you a bill which you then pay online, after which they deliver your goods. You also pay more than the TAX value as has already been mentioned

I have ordered a bunch of smaller items in the last year or so which have never been pulled for TAX.

I recently ordered a set of wheels from light bicycle and decided to do the prepaid TAX delivery option. There was no handling fee and no extra wait for the delivery.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

How much is the saving? Is it worth the customs lottery and potential of no warranty / back- up?
May the bridges you burn light your way
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

If you can get it from Aliexpress they usually include duties and have a very efficient postal service into uk in my experience.
Andy (Stooge) tells me he is having a problem clearing uk customs at present.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

jameso wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:12 pm Duty on parts is 4.7% so perhaps not a big increase compared to the potential saving? Add 20% VAT on top of that also though.
And don't forget the "handling charge" of the courier on top.
jameso

Post by jameso »

^ yes you have to pay VAT on the product plus shipping total I think
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

jameso wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:26 am ^ yes you have to pay VAT on the product plus shipping total I think
See my first reply:

Duty on product then VAT on that total plus the shipping cost. Then there's the release fee.

You pay £100 for the goods, shipping is say £15
Duty is £4.70 on the £100

VAT on £119.70 (£100 + £4.70 + £15) @20% is £19.88
Total is £139.58
Release fee of (usually) £8

You end up paying £147.58
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

C'mon Mike, have you ordered it?
Boab

Post by Boab »

I ended up ordering my full 1x GRX 8xx groupset from Vanilla Bikes. A similar price to the Germans, but from the UK. Would've been quicker to order from the Germans though...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.