Bike bag on a train?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Bike bag on a train?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Has anyone ever had any trouble taking a bike in a bike bag on a train? ... they won't let me on with a full bike, so I'm thinking this might be an option. I can't see that it's any different from a large suitcase.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Ray Young

Re: Bike bag on a train?

Post by Ray Young »

Sort of related. A while ago cyclists in parts of London couldn't take their bikes on trains at certain times so to demonstrate against this they took full size cardboard cut outs of their bikes onto the train, the staff could do bugger all about it. Don't know if this helps.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

I've got a guide somewhere telling me which train operators hav which restrictions somewhere, I'll try and dog it out tomorrow.

Bike bags are ligit, shouldn't hav any more trouble than having a large suitcase on a train ;-)
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

I have on the Eurostar. They treat it as large luggage. You can even take a bike on a coach if it's in a bike bag.

Which train were you thinking of?

London have restrictions for non-folders between 7.30-9.30a.m but apart from that it's fair game.
jamiep

Post by jamiep »

Eastcoast trains (and maybe other companies) have an oversize luggage policyhttp://www.eastcoast.co.uk/on-board-our ... /luggage/ . Greater than 90 x 70 x 30 cm "may be charged" although they do not indicate how much.

With my snowboard bag last year I got pulled up by a guard who told me that oversized bags were only allowed at the guard's disgresion. I told him that I what he was saying was irrelavant and that I was ignoring it (in the nicest possible way) as these terms and conditions were not presented to me at the point of sale of the ticket, which did the trick and he walked on.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Turns out that leaflet I was thinking about hasn't been updated, but here's a handy web page.

http://www.atob.org.uk/bike-rail/uk-bik ... trictions/

I guess you'll have to look at what the actual luggage restrictions on your particular train operator are.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Ta for that. My problem seems to be with Virgin trains ... simply book your ticket then phone this (premium rate) number to reserve a place for your bike. However, it seems whatever bike spaces Virgin have are continually booked up. It doesn't seem to matter what time the train is or where it's going, the chances of getting a bike on seem to be nil.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

From what I've read online, people's experiences are mixed so I'm not sure what your best option would be.

You've probably got one already but if you need a bike bag, I've got one you can borrow.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

I take a bike on a train about twice a year and have never had a problem apart from a sleeper (not allowed) but then I always go to the ticket office in person. Can't see how every space on every virgin train can be booked though.
royAB

Post by royAB »

I used to commute into London Liverpool St and now Kings Cross with a full size bike - for peak time, when it's 'folders only', I've made up a big pertex bag with a drawstring, take off the front wheel & drop the saddle, then pop the whole bike into the bag so it becomes, in effect, 'luggage'. Haven't have an issue in five years - official train types don't want to be bothered questioning it I guess - 'if it don't look like a bike it ain't one' seems to be the attitude..
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

apart from a sleeper (not allowed)
Really?

I've looked into the sleeper a couple of times but I didn't know there was a no bikes policy.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

flatfishy wrote:
apart from a sleeper (not allowed)
Really?

I've looked into the sleeper a couple of times but I didn't know there was a no bikes policy.
Sorry, got that mixed up. I tried to book myself and a bike onto the London/Fort William sleeper from Edinburgh for about 4am and it wouldn't let me. When I looked into it further it was because the sleeper only drops off at Edinburgh and not pick up. Apologies :oops: .
nobby

Post by nobby »

s8tannorm wrote:Ta for that. My problem seems to be with Virgin trains ... simply book your ticket then phone this (premium rate) number to reserve a place for your bike. However, it seems whatever bike spaces Virgin have are continually booked up. It doesn't seem to matter what time the train is or where it's going, the chances of getting a bike on seem to be nil.
I've only taken folders on Virgin trains in recent years, but I've read that if you use the East Coast Mainline booking website you can reserve bikes at the same time as you do your tickets. That's for trains anywhere UK, not just East Coast routes.
"What doesn't kill us makes us stranger." - The Joker
adjustablewench

Post by adjustablewench »

sleepers take 3 bikes, im currently planning a trip with my boys at easter (and trying to think positive thoughts about the weather!)

as for virgin trains are theynlike cross country where they have changed the carriage design and only allow two bikes per train booked - but there is room for more but not bookable. ive never been thrown off though. just not nice to be unsure when you book stuff.

I find the red spotted hanky site the best - one of the only ones that lets you book bikes on and doesnt have bookibg fees - even delivers tickets via post for free!
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

adjustablewench wrote:- but there is room for more but not bookable. ive never been thrown off though. just not nice to be unsure when you book stuff.
I have, it was not a nice experience as I was in the middle of nowherr and meant I cycled the West Highland Way considerably more rushed than planned!
nobby

Post by nobby »

adjustablewench wrote: as for virgin trains are theynlike cross country where they have changed the carriage design and only allow two bikes per train
No, Virgin Pendolinos and Voyagers bike stowage is behind the cab of coach A

http://www.virgintrains.co.uk/assets/pd ... g-plan.pdf

But X country Voyagers bike stowage is built into coach D

http://www.crosscountrytrains.co.uk/med ... t_plan.pdf

With the Virgin trains you are relying on staff to open an external door for you then you hang the bike, get off and get on again to find your seat. All of it done in about four minutes. Then it repeats in reverse at your destination. Not a big problem if you are travelling between terminals but there are tales of people getting off in places like Rugby and bikes going on to Euston.
"What doesn't kill us makes us stranger." - The Joker