Best tyres for a rigid 29er

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mactheknife68

Best tyres for a rigid 29er

Post by Mactheknife68 »

So I’ve a Salsa El Mariachi and firestarter fork arriving, I have a new set of Hope Pro 4’s on WTB Sti25 TCS rims. So what tyres would you recommend.
I’m just after a front with good side grip and fast rolling in 2.4 or 2.6 and a fast rear tyre in 2.4.
Not sure if anything in the Specialized sale is of use.
FLV

Re: Best tyres for a rigid 29er

Post by FLV »

Ikon 2.35 on the back, Mezcal 2.6 on the front is my preferred when rigid forks are fitted.

Fast and grippy enough. If you want more grip on the front you're into more 'enduro' tyres that will feel a liitle slower (happy to be corrected)

I think the purgatory would be a good choice in the 2.6 for muddier conditions, but the 2.6 isnt in the sale. I've only actually used the 2.3 which works well but isnt massive in the volume stakes.

I have a fast track 29x2.3 on the back at the moment (it had some life left so its getting used) but its not as good as an Ikon I dont find and that smidge smaller.
Mactheknife68

Post by Mactheknife68 »

I’ve considered the Vittoria Barzo/Mezcal but over £60 for both so was hoping the Specialized sale might save me some pennies towards a new drivetrain
FLV

Post by FLV »

Fast track is only a little smaller than you're for the back then. I prefer the GRID versions as the sidewalls last longer but standard ones are in the sale. Save you a bit on the rear.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Maxxis Minions or Ardents. The Minions roll as well as Ardents and are available in sizes above 2.4.
faustus

Post by faustus »

I've got a 29x2.6 Bontrager XR2 on the front of my rigid bike at the mo. It's not suitable for slop, but it is very capable otherwise, and would be a good fast rolling rear, and is available in other sizes. I reckon an XR4 in 2.6 would be good for worse conditions, but probably similar to a minion.