I've seen people pack more for a single night.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

I've seen people pack more for a single night.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

May the bridges you burn light your way
FLV

Re: I've seen people pack more for a single night.

Post by FLV »

Very impressive indeed...

I think I've carried a lot more than that for shorter trips
RIP

Post by RIP »

Aye, impressive stuff. "Proper" bikepacking bags, riding in the p1ssing rain with just shorts and a T :-bd . Should send him a complimentary/honorary BBB jersey.

Dunno where that pic was taken (S Africa presumably if 1000km from the finish, doh), but that's a curious set of lanes on the road. Dual carriageway with a "cycle lane" next to the outside lane? Leaves him perched next to the central reservation for his selfie which looks slightly dicey :smile: . Or is it all completely different over there?
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Can't be South Africa as they're driving on the right, he seems to be on a road with 2 double lanes going away from him. If you look carefully, over on the left theres a carrageway coming towards him by the hoarding. Looks dodgy wherever he is.
RIP

Post by RIP »

I wish I hadn't mentioned it now cos I've looked again and am even more confused :smile: . Behind him we have the red car going away. He's facing that way too. But on the right there's a dual carriageway with a lorry going away as well. And over on the far left there's ANOTHER, possibly/probably dual carriageway, under the big sign. So that's three carriageways.

But the overhead lamps on the red car's carriageway seem to match those on the far left carriageway, and it appears there's a lorry coming towards us (or is it?) on that carriageway. There's also a chunky barrier between the two. So I'm guessing they ARE driving on the right - but of a two-way dual-carriageway. The red car is in the "slow" lane of the "away" direction. The "red car carriageway" also has THREE lanes, the right hand one being narrower so I'm again reckoning that IS a cycle lane and he's just jumped over the barrier to take his pic.

That leaves the carriageway to his right. Maybe it's a separate road with a single lane in each direction. In which case why's the lorry on that road going "away"!! ARG!

I need to go and do something more useful but it's a good puzzle :wink: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

I'm worried that he has a telegraph pole growing out of his helmet, surely that's not very aero?
My guess of the location is Egypt, clues are text on advertising hoarding and colour and shape of car number plate. It could be that his route is nowhere near there in which case I'll retract. (Slow day in sunny Cataluña waiting for a headset to rebuild my replacement Van Nicholas)
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

I looked at his website. He's not shy of an adventure, the pic is from the media section on the site, it could be from just about anywhere in the World. Looking at his diary for this journey I think there's a good chance it was taken in Russia.

https://jonasdeichmann.com/
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Having done some detective work, I think that photo is here:
https://goo.gl/maps/QN2yB38wFbrULNon9

The alt text on the pic says it's part of his Panamerica Solo ride, in Mexico. His website has a track of his route. Stalking his Instagram profile I found the original photo, tagged as being in Puebla:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BoJtGBPlLOE/
So I then spent a few minutes following the road through Puebla on Google Streetview. The advertising hoarding on the left and large amounts of the road are still under construction on Streetview, but the warehouses to the right match.

I should probably do some work now...
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

North Cape to Capetown via Mexico, that's either impressive or a navigational error comparable to In Reverse's BB200 exploits.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Impressive sleuthing, but back to the riding...

Looks like he's due to finish today. Last Instgram post from 5 hours ago says he's 100km away. https://jonasdeichmann.com/category/diary-cape-to-cape/